* New screencast about org-protocol.el
@ 2009-07-19 10:48 Bastien
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Bastien @ 2009-07-19 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I have created a five-minutes screencast about basic usage of
org-protocol.el (also featuring ubiquity commands):

  http://vimeo.com/5662410

Enjoy,

--
 Bastien

* Re: New screencast about org-protocol.el
@ 2009-07-19 16:13 ` Keith Lancaster
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Keith Lancaster @ 2009-07-19 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

The screencast is great, but I can't seem to get things working. On OS
X, I consistently get a message from Firefox that no application is
associated with org-protocol.  This happens on both FF 3 and 3.5, and
regardless of how I specify emacsclient. Any thoughts on how to debug
this?

Thanks,
Keith

On Jul 19, 2009, at 5:48 AM, Bastien wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have created a five-minutes screencast about basic usage of
> org-protocol.el (also featuring ubiquity commands):
>
>  http://vimeo.com/5662410
>
> Enjoy,
>
> --
> Bastien

Keith Lancaster
klancaster1957@mac.com

* Re: New screencast about org-protocol.el
@ 2009-07-19 16:44 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-07-19 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 4:18 PM, Bastien wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have created a five-minutes screencast about basic usage of
> org-protocol.el (also featuring ubiquity commands):
>
> http://vimeo.com/5662410

Thanks for the neat screencast.  I finally configured org-protocol after
putting it off for a long time.  The only thing that did not work for me was
the custom command creation in Ubiquity but I am sure that something to do
with my setup.

--
Manish

* Re: New screencast about org-protocol.el
@ 2009-07-19 16:49   ` Greg Newman
From: Greg Newman @ 2009-07-19 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Lancaster; +Cc: Org Mode List

Keith,I haven't been able to get it to work on OS X either.  FF 3.x I
believe is broken in that respect.  I cannot get applescripts to work with
it either.

@ 2009-07-19 16:57   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-07-19 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Lancaster; +Cc: Org Mode List

Hi Keith,

Keith Lancaster <klancaster1957@mac.com> writes:

> The screencast is great, but I can't seem to get things working. On OS
> X, I consistently get a message from Firefox that no application is
> associated with org-protocol.

Actually the screencast is a bit misleading, as you need to explicity
tell FF which program do you use with org-protocol://

See here: http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.php

,----
| 8. Next time you try to open a location "org-protocol://..." FF will ask
|    you for the program to use. Enter the path to emacsclient.
`----

So you need to enter the page to emacsclient.

If I have time, I will update the screencast to reflect this.

> This happens on both FF 3 and 3.5, and regardless of how I specify
> emacsclient. Any thoughts on how to debug this?

HTH,

--

@ 2009-07-19 16:57     ` Keith Lancaster
From: Keith Lancaster @ 2009-07-19 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Newman; +Cc: Org Mode List

Greg,
Dang - this was exactly what I'd been looking for...

I'd appreciate it if you let me know if you have any luck, and I'll do
the same.

Keith

@ 2009-07-19 17:02   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-07-19 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Manish,

Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for the neat screencast.  I finally configured org-protocol after
> putting it off for a long time.  The only thing that did not work for me was
> the custom command creation in Ubiquity but I am sure that something to do
> with my setup.

Maybe these two ubiquity commands can help?

http://lumiere.ens.fr/~guerry/org-remember-ubiquity-command.php
http://lumiere.ens.fr/~guerry/org-store-link-ubiquity-command.php

--

@ 2009-07-19 17:25   ` Gabi Danon
From: Gabi Danon @ 2009-07-19 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Actually, unless I'm missing something there's no need for Ubiquity in
order to get this functionality: just assign a keyword to each
bookmarklet (for instance, 'org-rem', 'org-link' etc), and then you
just press ctrl-l, the keyword that you assigned, and Enter.

Gabi

@ 2009-07-19 17:59   ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-07-19 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Lancaster; +Cc: Org Mode List

Keith Lancaster <klancaster1957@mac.com> writes:

> The screencast is great, but I can't seem to get things working. On OS
> X, I consistently get a message from Firefox that no application is
> associated with org-protocol.  This happens on both FF 3 and 3.5, and
> regardless of how I specify emacsclient. Any thoughts on how to debug
> this?

Yes, this is a known issue on Mac OS X. I believe that the problem lies
not with Firefox per se, but with the way in which Mac OS handles
internet protocols. I think someone will have to code something in cocoa
or applescript that passes the protocol to emacsclient. See this post by
Sebastian for more details:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/14903

That said, I don't really know too much about the internals of MacOS X,
so I may be wrong about this.

BTW, the only browser I was able to get working with org-protocol on the
Mac was conkeror, a browser that uses emacs-style keybindings.

http://www.conkeror.org

For emacs users, conkeror is particularly convenient browser, not least
because you can call commands with M-x or get information about commands
using "apropos" (C-h a). If anyone is interested in trying it out, I put
up instructions on how to set up conkeror on the org-protocol page. You
can even bind org-remember to C-c r in conkeror!

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.php#sec-8.1

Best,
Matt

* Re: New screencast about org-protocol.el
@ 2009-07-19 18:07     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-07-19 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabi Danon; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Gabi Danon <gabidanon@gmail.com> writes:

> Actually, unless I'm missing something there's no need for Ubiquity in
> order to get this functionality: just assign a keyword to each
> bookmarklet (for instance, 'org-rem', 'org-link' etc), and then you
> just press ctrl-l, the keyword that you assigned, and Enter.

Hey!  That's right. :)   I didn't know about bookmarklets keywords.
I'll definitely have to update this screencast...

A better use for ubiquity commands would be to make them more
interactive.  For example, we could choose the template for
org-remember, or add a note for org-store link, etc.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Re: New screencast about org-protocol.el
@ 2009-07-19 19:44     ` Greg Newman
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Greg Newman @ 2009-07-19 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: Org Mode List

Kieth, I've been working (in my spare time) on a applescript solution that's
elegant.  When I get it finished and working I'll let everyone know.  I'm a
Safari user but when it's done it will work with FF (or camino) too.

*Greg Newman*

http://20seven.org

twitter: 20seven

@ 2009-07-19 20:23       ` Keith Lancaster
From: Keith Lancaster @ 2009-07-19 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Newman; +Cc: Matthew Lundin, Org Mode List

On Jul 19, 2009, at 2:44 PM, Greg Newman wrote:

> Kieth, I've been working (in my spare time) on a applescript
> solution that's elegant.  When I get it finished and working I'll
> let everyone know.  I'm a Safari user but when it's done it will
> work with FF (or camino) too.
>

> Greg Newman
> http://20seven.org
> twitter: 20seven

Great! I actually use Safari for daily use and FF for debugging /
testing, so that's perfect.

Keith

* Re: Re: New screencast about org-protocol.el
@ 2009-07-20 18:01       ` Christopher Suckling
From: Christopher Suckling @ 2009-07-20 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Newman; +Cc: Org Mode List

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 8:44 PM, Greg Newman<greg@20seven.org> wrote:

> Kieth, I've been working (in my spare time) on a applescript solution that's
> elegant.  When I get it finished and working I'll let everyone know.  I'm a
> Safari user but when it's done it will work with FF (or camino) too.

Greg,

I'd love to know if you've had any success with FF. As of 3.5, there is a
getURL object, but I've not been able to get it to work reliably, and,
regardless,
it still leaves FF as a rather second class citizen compared to Safari.

If it's of interest, you can find my (finally) rewritten suite of
scripts for org-protocol
here:

http://claviclaws.net/org/

Best wishes,

Christopher

* Re: Re: New screencast about org-protocol.el
@ 2009-07-20 18:05         ` Greg Newman
From: Greg Newman @ 2009-07-20 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Suckling; +Cc: Org Mode List

No Chris, I haven't.  FF 3.x is just borked on the mac as far as extending
it goes.I wrote some scripts that would allow me to jump from the current
open safari url to the same url in firefox (useful for testing) and that no
longer works either.  There are a bunch of bug reports that have been logged
at mozilla since the introduction of 3.0 and no-one seems to care.  Really
doesn't bother me too much since I don't use it very often but for those who
do it's a killer.  I typically use Safari and it's developer tools.

@ 2009-07-27 12:05 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-07-27 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bastienguerry@googlemail.com> writes:
> Hi all,
>
> I have created a five-minutes screencast about basic usage of
> org-protocol.el (also featuring ubiquity commands):
>
>   http://vimeo.com/5662410
>
> Enjoy,

Great! Thanks, Bastien!

(What is ubiquity... google...)

   Sebastian

* Re: Re: New screencast about org-protocol.el
@ 2009-07-27 12:07       ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-07-27 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Newman; +Cc: Matthew Lundin, Org Mode List

Greg Newman <greg@20seven.org> writes:
> Kieth, I've been working (in my spare time) on a applescript solution that's
> elegant.  When I get it finished and working I'll let everyone know.  I'm a
> Safari user but when it's done it will work with FF (or camino) too.

Yes, seems that MAC is similar to Windows in this regard. It is possble
to setup protocols once for all applications.

Would be great to include the setup in
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.php#sec-8

???

  Sebastian

* Re: New screencast about org-protocol.el
@ 2009-08-01  9:18         ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2009-08-01  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

*On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 19:01:28 +0100
* Also sprach Christopher Suckling <suckling.list@googlemail.com>:

> On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 8:44 PM, Greg Newman<greg@20seven.org> wrote:
>
>> Kieth, I've been working (in my spare time) on a applescript solution that's
>> elegant.  When I get it finished and working I'll let everyone know.  I'm a
>> Safari user but when it's done it will work with FF (or camino) too.
>>

> Greg,
>
> I'd love to know if you've had any success with FF. As of 3.5, there is a
> getURL object, but I've not been able to get it to work reliably, and,
> regardless,
> it still leaves FF as a rather second class citizen compared to Safari.
>
> If it's of interest, you can find my (finally) rewritten suite of
> scripts for org-protocol
> here:
>
> http://claviclaws.net/org/
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Christopher

I am very excited to find your org-mac-protocol. I installed it following
the manual, and after starting Emacs.app (Cocoa port build from latest
git source), I got error message sayding org-remember-templates is not
defined.

Could you please post org-mac-protocal related setting in your .emacs?
Thank you very much for your help.

* Re: New screencast about org-protocol.el
@ 2009-08-01  9:41           ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2009-08-01  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

*On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 17:18:06 +0800
* Also sprach CHENG Gao <chenggao@gmail.com>:

> I am very excited to find your org-mac-protocol. I installed it following
> the manual, and after starting Emacs.app (Cocoa port build from latest
> git source), I got error message sayding org-remember-templates is not
> defined.
>
> Could you please post org-mac-protocal related setting in your .emacs?
> Thank you very much for your help.

Stupid me. The reason is I did not use org-remember-templates since I
only use one file for all kinds of notes.

I add (setq org-remember-templates nil) before (require
'org-mac-protocol), and it works well. Before posting this, I just
sucessfully (org-remember)ed something from some webpage.

I wish scripts can be put into a subdirectory like Org-Mac-Protocol
instead of directly under ~/Library/Scripts/.

Thanks a lot. It's really a great package.