Hi, Sorry for coming back that late on this problem. The problem came back again today: Links get inserted into random places again. I think I have (the beginning of) an idea where problem lies. Context: - I'm using (Doom)Emacs in emacs-client mode, and I'm putting my computer only on sleep at night, so Emacs (daemon) often runs for weeks - I regularly do some updates/upgrades: `sh> doom upgrade` or `sh> doom sync -u` (from shell, outside DoomEmacs) - Sometimes it works, so I just continue using Emacs - But sometimes doing the updates/upgrades while DoomEmacs is running make it go berserk - In such cases, I start by running `M-x doom/reload` (from inside Emacs), and if org buffers are going berserk too, I also run `M-x org-reload` - If it still does not work (most of the time), I `pkill emacs` and start Emacs again from scratch The last time the link insertion issue appeared, I had called `M-x org-reload` after a `M-x doom/reload` after a `sh> doom upgrade`. Restarting Emacs solved it. I tried calling `M-x org-reload` and inserting some link on the fresh new Emacs process, and it seems to work. So the problem apparently comes when calling `M-x org-reload` (from inside Emacs) after calling `sh> doom upgrade` (from outside Emacs). (NOTE: I haven't been able to try if the problem appears when calling `M-x doom/upgrade` (from inside Emacs) yet, as my Emacs is the freshest possible for now). My conclusion is that "the bug" probably comes from the fact that the "org-mode" being reloaded is a fresher version than the "org-mode" that was loaded when Emacs-client was started, several weeks ago. Not sure if this issue should be pursued or if my franken-usage of Emacs is to be blamed :) Cheers On 10/9/23 16:40, Guillaume MULLER wrote: > Hi, > > Thanks for the answer... I'll have a look at your links. > > However, since I wrote the email, I've seen the behavior occur without changing (at least voluntarily) the cursor position in the Org buffer... > > On 10/5/23 12:18, Ihor Radchenko wrote: >> Guillaume MULLER writes: >> >>> ... >>> - Switch back to (Doom)Emacs ("window"/desktop) >>> - Click inside the Emacs "window" to give it focus >>> [Here is the problem: sometimes I forgot that I already started the org-insert-link] >>> - Call org-insert-link >>> - Paste the URL >>> - Validate the link creation >>> >>> Then the link is inserted where I clicked last (to give focus to the Emacs "window"). >> >> By default, Emacs moves point to where you click. You can do the same >> thing if you deliberately C-x o from the minibuffer. See 9.3 Editing in >> the Minibuffer section of Emacs manual. >> I see nothing wrong on the Org side. >> >>> Of course, the problem lies in my mistake of calling twice the org-insert-link method, but the behavior is very strange, and it took me some time to identify why my links were inserted at random places in my text. >>> >>> However, wouldn't it be possible to prevent it from the beginning by forbidding me to call org-insert-link twice, i.e. making it a singleton/atomic function (I don't see a UseCase where this could be useful to be able to call it inside itself, but maybe I'm wrong)? >> >> Check out 22.1 Mouse Commands for Editing section of Emacs manual. >> `x-mouse-click-focus-ignore-position' might be something you want to >> customize. >> > -- Guillaume MULLER Associate Professor, PhD Fayol Institute - ISI Department 🚪 #426 ☎ 04 77 42 02 71 🕸 https://www.mines-stetienne.fr 🧍= Physical Address = Espace Fauriel 29 Rue Pierre et Dominique Ponchardier 42100 Saint-Étienne 📬 = Postal Address = École des Mines de Saint-Étienne 158 cours Fauriel 42100 Saint-Étienne