Thanks Nick, > Most (?) browsers have a remote URL capability: you can send a URL to an > already running instance and it will just open it, without going through > the overhead of creating another instance. For me it seems strange this behaviour. When I have firefox already open, it creates another tab for the URL and does not open a new firefox instance. Daniel 2010/2/26 Nick Dokos > [I had sent a similar answer to Henri-Paul, but for some reason, my reply > never hit the list - I've had problem posting to the list in the past > couple of days. I have an outstanding query to the list administrators, > but I haven't heard anything back. If you do receive this personally, > you might want to check the list and if it does not make it within the > next day or so, you might want to just post it there for posterity.] > > Daniel Martins wrote: > > > > You solved for me a quite annoying issue related to org that I could not > solve! > > > > For those who use firefox these two lines become: > > > > (setq browse-url-browser-function (quote browse-url-generic)) > > (setq browse-url-generic-program "firefox") > > > > Simply copy and paste it!! > > > > Daniel, > > The problem with this solution is that it creates a new instance > of the browser every time you click a link: > > > ,---- > | browse-url-generic is an interactive compiled Lisp function in > | `browse-url.el'. > | > | (browse-url-generic URL &optional NEW-WINDOW) > | > | Ask the WWW browser defined by `browse-url-generic-program' to load URL. > | Default to the URL around or before point. A fresh copy of the > | browser is started up in a new process with possible additional arguments > | `browse-url-generic-args'. This is appropriate for browsers which > | don't offer a form of remote control. > `---- > > Most (?) browsers have a remote URL capability: you can send a URL to an > already running instance and it will just open it, without going through > the overhead of creating another instance. > > For firefox, I do the following: > > ,---- > | (defun browse-url-firefox (url &optional new-window) > | (shell-command (concat "firefox-xremote-client" " " "\"" url "\""))) > | > | (setq browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-firefox) > `---- > > with the following firefox-xremote-client script somewhere in my path: > > ,---- > | #! /bin/bash > | > | firefox --remote "openURL($1)" > `---- > > HTH, > Nick > > >