Ben, Please publish your .emacs configuration! Daniel 2009/9/7 B Smith-Mannschott > A few tips from an emacs hand who has had issues with repetitive > strain in the past: > > The first thing I did after starting my first "real job" (years ago, > when my RSI was pretty bad and my employer-supplied keyboard was in > violation of the geneva conventions): > > 1. I got a kinesis contoured keyboard (like the "Kinesis Advantage" > I'm typing on now.) It places C- and M- (Alt key) under your thumbs. > (You could even assign them to foot pedals, though I never managed due > to lack of rhythm -- guess I should have taken drumming classes at > school.) The layout is completely programmable without additional > software. In short: it's the ultimate emacs keybaord. > > 2. More recently, I had a flare up (Apple's wireless mouse is the work > of the devil, for my hands at least.) It was then that I discovered > "Sticky Keys". > > Sticky keys takes some getting used to. It makes every modifier key > work a little like caps lock. Sounds horrible, doesn't it? Well, it's > not really. Basically, if you press control once, it "locks" control > down for the next keystroke only, after which point the keyboard > returns to normal. Press control twice, and it locks down until you > release it with a third press. > > C-x C-f > > Used to be: press and hold control. Press and release x. press and > release f. Release control. > Now it's Press and release control twice. Press and release x. press > and release f. Press and release control. > > This turns out to be easier on my hands because I don't find myself > contorting my hands across the keyboard while I try to hold down more > than one key at a time. I have sticky keys turned on on all my > computers, except for the one at work where I have the kinesis > keyboard. > > 3. I've rebound caps lock to control on all my keyboards (apart from > the kinesis, where I have caps lock bound to the windows key.) > > 4. I have a "happy hacking" keyboard, which has control where caps > lock is on an AT keyboard (and no caps key). The happy hacking > keyboard has the drawback that it has no right control key. (Sticky > keys helps here too.) > > // Ben > > > _______________________________________________ > Emacs-orgmode mailing list > Remember: use `Reply All' to send replies to the list. > Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org > http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode >