* get rid of empty caption on html export?
@ 2012-08-17 21:21 Matt Price
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Matt Price @ 2012-08-17 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I have asimpl table in an org document which, when i export to HTML, is for
some reason accompanied by an empty <caption></caption> tag.  My wordpress
theme causes the caption to take up valuable space...  is there any way to
surpress the caption tag from being created on export?  If not, maybe
osmeone has a css trick that will stop the caption tag from taking up
vertical space on the screen if there's nothing inside it?

Thanks as always!
matt

* Re: get rid of empty caption on html export?
@ 2012-08-17 21:43 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-08-17 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> wrote:

>  I have asimpl table in an org document which, when i export to HTML,
> is for some reason accompanied by an empty <caption></caption> tag.
> My wordpress theme causes the caption to take up valuable space...  is
> there any way to surpress the caption tag from being created on
> export?  If not, maybe osmeone has a css trick that will stop the
> caption tag from taking up vertical space on the screen if there's
> nothing inside it?

org-html.el says:

,----
|       ;; Since the output of HTML table formatter can also be used in
|       ;; DocBook document, we want to always include the caption to make
|       ;; DocBook XML file valid.
|       (push (format "<caption>%s</caption>" (or caption "")) html)
`----

which seems a bit smelly to me, but it explains the empty caption.
Sorry, can't help with CSS.

Nick

* Re: get rid of empty caption on html export?
@ 2012-08-18 14:58 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-08-18 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Matt,

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> I have asimpl table in an org document which, when i export to HTML,
> is for some reason accompanied by an empty <caption></caption> tag.

This is now fixed, thanks for reporting this.

--
 Bastien

* Re: get rid of empty caption on html export?
@ 2012-08-18 15:37 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-08-18 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have asimpl table in an org document which, when i export to HTML,
> is for some reason accompanied by an empty <caption></caption> tag. My
> wordpress theme causes the caption to take up valuable space... is
> there any way to surpress the caption tag from being created on
> export? If not, maybe osmeone has a css trick that will stop the
> caption tag from taking up vertical space on the screen if there's
> nothing inside it?

I have fixed this in org-e-html.el.

Please export with M-x org-export-dispatch RET etc etc