Dear Ken, you could start with an Emacs-typical approach by editing your ~/.emacs-file so that .org-files are automatically opened with org-mode, also adding any other keyboard shortcuts you find useful, see http://orgmode.org/guide/Activation.html#Activation If you put this line into your .bashrc file: alias e="open -a /Applications/Aquamacs.app/" you can do this from the commandline: e somefile.org and it will be opened in Aquamacs (using an existing instance of Aquamacs if it is already open - I find that I have Aquamacs open all the time). One way of changing the icon is to copy Aquamacs.app, then using an icon editor (e.g. the one from the Apple's Developer Kit). A simpler way is this: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2493 If you are thinking about a distribution-like approach (so it works "out-of-the-box" for others) you would probably need to copy your changes to a /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp directory. Hope this helps, Stefan On 05.07.2011, at 06:19, Ken Mankoff wrote: > Hi, > > I'm just beginning to use org-mode on OS X. I'm in a terminal a lot, and in Aquamacs Emacs a lot too, but not all the time. To make it easier to use org-mode, I would like to give it a dedicated app with the org-mode icon (unicorn) in the dock. Is there a way to do this? > > Fluid.app is a single site browser (SSB) that sort of turns web pages into desktop apps. I would like something similar for Emacs. > > I think one way might be to make a copy of Aquamacs Emacs, change the icon, and then edit the "info.plist" or some internal file so that when it launches it launches directly into org-mode, loading some keystrokes to my default view. > > Has anyone else done something similar? Is anyone else interested in something like this? Any suggestions how to go about doing it? > > Thanks, > > -k. > -- Dr. Stefan Vollmar, Dipl.-Phys. Head of IT group Max-Planck-Institut für neurologische Forschung Gleuelerstr. 50, 50931 Köln, Germany Tel.: +49-221-4726-213 FAX +49-221-4726-298 Tel.: +49-221-478-5713 Mobile: 0160-93874279 Email: vollmar@nf.mpg.de http://www.nf.mpg.de