From: Pete Phillips <pete@smtl.co.uk>
To: Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: tags-tree question
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 12:19:35 +0100	[thread overview]

Afternoon all.

Last Nov I asked on the list if it was possible to have TODO items with
a scheduled/deadline date more than 30 (or some fixed number) of days in
the future to NOT show up on my custom agenda. The reason being that I
don't want to be distracted when I look at my custom Home list by a task
for next January until closer to the time. I have added my original
email to the bottom of this in case you have forgotten it!  :-)

Bernt's reply was:

    Bernt> Hi Pete,
    Bernt> For this do something like the following:
    Bernt> Set a deadline date on

    Bernt> *** NEXT Cut pampass grass :DIY: DEADLINE: <2009-01-12 Thu>

    Bernt> and

    Bernt> (setq org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date t)

    Bernt> This keeps all tasks with a schedules or deadline date out of
    Bernt> the list of tasks when searching for next tasks and by
    Bernt> default deadlines show up on the agenda 30 days before they
    Bernt> need to be done.

    Bernt> I find I'm using DEADLINE: a lot more then SCHEDULED: in my
    Bernt> tasks.

    Bernt> In this case your custom agenda command to match NEXT tasks
    Bernt> will not list the tasks with dates (ever) and those tasks
    Bernt> will show up on the agenda 30 days before they need to be
    Bernt> complete.

I couldn't get this to work at the time but have been trying to sort
this issue out again over the last few days.

Having set:

       (setq org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date t)

I can see that scheduled items for next January (cutting my pampas
grass) are kept out of the pre-configured

  ^C a t

command (list of all TODO entries) - so this does in fact work - my
pampas grass entry doesn't show. However, my custom agenda command for
Home does show it.

(see my orig email below for details on the custom agenda).

So it appears to me that there is a difference in how the
org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date variable behaves in the pre-configured
TODO list and my custom view.

Is there something simple I'm missing or is this a bug ?

Cheers
Pete

Pete Phillips <pete@smtl.co.uk> writes:

 Pete> > On a related question, is it possible to set up an
 Pete> > org-agenda-custom-command to pick out a set of tags, all of which have
 Pete> > NEXT as a todo-type, and which either have no scheduled date, OR which
 Pete> > have a scheduled or deadline date less than or equal to 1 month in the
 Pete> > future.
 Pete> >
 Pete> > For example, show lines with
 Pete> >
 Pete> >     NEXT and (Home | LaptopH | DIY)
 Pete> >
 Pete> > where either there is no scheduled (or perhaps, deadline) date OR
 Pete> >
 Pete> > 	Scheduled Date <= today + 1 month
 Pete> >
 Pete> > My thinking on this is that sometimes I have next actions (such as
 Pete> > cutting my pampas grass every january), which would be set up like this:
 Pete> >
 Pete> > *** NEXT Cut pampass grass :DIY:
 Pete> > SCHEDULED: <2009-01-12 Thu>
 Pete> >
 Pete> > My current setup uses this:
 Pete> >
 Pete> >  ("h" "Home Stuff (Next)"
 Pete> >   ((tags "Home//NEXT" nil)
 Pete> >    (tags "DIY//NEXT" nil)
 Pete> >    (tags "LaptopH//NEXT" nil)
 Pete> >   nil)
 Pete> >
 Pete> > The problem at the moment is that it shows up all year in my Home Stuff
 Pete> > (Next) list (which searches for Home|LaptopH|DIY with NEXT todotypes),
 Pete> > but I only want it to start showing up about a month before the date I
 Pete> > have decided I need to do it. At the moment, NEXT items which I will
 Pete> > need to do, but which I can't do anything about until nearer the time,
 Pete> > clutter up my action lists.
 Pete> >
 Pete> > Is there any way to do this ?

 Bernt> Hi Pete,
 Bernt>
 Bernt> For this do something like the following:
 Bernt>
 Bernt> Set a deadline date on
 Bernt>
 Bernt> *** NEXT Cut pampass grass :DIY:
 Bernt> DEADLINE: <2009-01-12 Thu>
 Bernt>
 Bernt> and
 Bernt>
 Bernt> (setq org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date t)
 Bernt>
 Bernt> This keeps all tasks with a schedules or deadline date out of the list
 Bernt> of tasks when searching for next tasks and by default deadlines show up
 Bernt> on the agenda 30 days before they need to be done.
 Bernt>
 Bernt> I find I'm using DEADLINE: a lot more then SCHEDULED: in my tasks.
 Bernt>
 Bernt> In this case your custom agenda command to match NEXT tasks will not
 Bernt> list the tasks with dates (ever) and those tasks will show up on the
 Bernt> agenda 30 days before they need to be complete.  You can control when
 Bernt> they show up individually using dates such as
 Bernt>
 Bernt> DEADLINE: <2009-01-12 Thu -60d>
 Bernt>
 Bernt> This works great for me.