Hi Jack, Jack Kamm writes: > Bruno Barbier writes: > >> I'm not using it with official org backends (yet). I'm using it with >> several custom backends that I'm working on. One of the backend >> delegate the block executions to emacs subprocesses: so I have a kind of >> asynchronous executions for free for any language, including elisp >> itself. > > For sessions, wouldn't running in a subprocess prevent the user from > directly interacting with the REPL outside of Org? Good point. The REPL should be created in the same subprocess; the REPL display and interaction must happen in the user main emacs. If the REPL is based on comint, it should be relatively easy to implement. > If so, that's a problem. Org-babel sessions need to play nicely with > inferior Python, inferior ESS, and other interactive comint modes. With this solution, the user and the REPL/execution will be in separate processes; so there will be disavantages. For basic interactions, mostly based on text input/output, it should work well. >> So, here we go. You'll find attach a set of patchs. It works for me with >> Emacsc 30.50 and 9.7-pre (from today). > > I suggest to keep these patches on a public branch somewhere, see: > https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html#patches > > "When discussing important changes, it is sometimes not so useful to > send long and/or numerous patches. > > In this case, you can maintain your changes on a public branch of a > public clone of Org and send a link to the diff between your changes > and the latest Org commit that sits in your clone." Good point. I'll switch to such a solution as soon as possible. > I tried running your example on emacs29 using > > emacs -q -L /path/to/org-mode/lisp my-async-tests.org > > but it fails with the error below. Also "make" gives a bunch of > compilation warnings (which I've put at the bottom). > ... My bad: I should have compiled the demo code in a standalone emacs. I forgot to require some libraries: cl-lib and org-id. I've now tested with your command line (thanks). It should now work. Sorry about that. > Finally here are the warnings when running "make": I should have fixed everything; no more (new) warnings. Thanks! Please find attached the new set of patchs. I'll switch to using a clone and a branch soon, in case if you prefer to wait. Thanks again! Bruno