* Problem searching CLOSED and DEADLINE properties
@ 2009-01-07 20:24 Bart Parliman
From: Bart Parliman @ 2009-01-07 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

When the example file below is added to the agenda file list, and
I perform an agenda property search (C-c C-a m), I can't seem to
locate any CLOSED items if I use the date matching format, for
example these don't work...

CLOSED>="<2009-01-01>"
CLOSED="<2009-01-07>"

... but a regexp search like this...

CLOSED={2009}

... works fine.  For DEADLINE, an exact date matches fails...

DEADLINE="<2009-01-28>"

... but an inequality match succeeds...

DEADLINE>="<2009-01-28>"

FWIW I'm using version 6.17b.  Am I just using this format
incorrectly?

Thanks,
Bart

* Re: Problem searching CLOSED and DEADLINE properties
@ 2009-01-09  7:48 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-01-09  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Parliman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jan 7, 2009, at 9:24 PM, Bart Parliman wrote:

> When the example file below is added to the agenda file list, and I
> perform an agenda property search (C-c C-a m), I can't seem to
> locate any CLOSED items if I use the date matching format, for
> example these don't work...
>
> CLOSED>="<2009-01-01>"

This one works fine for me.

> CLOSED="<2009-01-07>"

This one does not, because the CLOSED time stamp
in the example also contains a time, while you comparison value is
taken to be at midnight.

> ... but a regexp search like this...
>
> CLOSED={2009}
>
> ... works fine.  For DEADLINE, an exact date matches fails...
>
> DEADLINE="<2009-01-28>"

For me it works fine.

- Carsten

@ 2009-01-09 16:58   ` Bart Parliman
From: Bart Parliman @ 2009-01-09 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Jan 7, 2009, at 9:24 PM, Bart Parliman wrote:
>
>> When the example file below is added to the agenda file list, and I perform
>> an agenda property search (C-c C-a m), I can't seem to locate any CLOSED
>> items if I use the date matching format, for example these don't work...
>>
>> CLOSED>="<2009-01-01>"
>
> This one works fine for me.
>

>> CLOSED="<2009-01-07>"
>
> This one does not, because the CLOSED time stamp
> in the example also contains a time, while you comparison value is taken to
> be at midnight.
>
>> ... but a regexp search like this...
>>
>> CLOSED={2009}
>>
>> ... works fine.  For DEADLINE, an exact date matches fails...
>>
>> DEADLINE="<2009-01-28>"
>
> For me it works fine.
>
> - Carsten
>

>> ... but an inequality match succeeds...
>>
>> DEADLINE>="<2009-01-28>"
>>
>> FWIW I'm using version 6.17b.  Am I just using this format incorrectly?

My apologies.  I recently installed 6.17b, but to the wrong lisp
target directory (i.e. so I was effectively using an older
version of the code, 6.12b I think).  After installing it in the
proper directory this works fine.

Bart

@ 2009-01-09 17:06     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-01-09 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Parliman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jan 9, 2009, at 5:58 PM, Bart Parliman wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jan 2009, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>

>> On Jan 7, 2009, at 9:24 PM, Bart Parliman wrote:
>>
>>> When the example file below is added to the agenda file list, and
>>> I perform an agenda property search (C-c C-a m), I can't seem to
>>> locate any CLOSED items if I use the date matching format, for
>>> example these don't work...
>>> CLOSED>="<2009-01-01>"
>>
>> This one works fine for me.
>>
>>> CLOSED="<2009-01-07>"
>>
>> This one does not, because the CLOSED time stamp
>> in the example also contains a time, while you comparison value is
>> taken to be at midnight.
>>
>>> ... but a regexp search like this...
>>> CLOSED={2009}
>>> ... works fine.  For DEADLINE, an exact date matches fails...
>>> DEADLINE="<2009-01-28>"
>>
>> For me it works fine.
>>
>> - Carsten
>>
>>> ... but an inequality match succeeds...
>>> DEADLINE>="<2009-01-28>"
>>> FWIW I'm using version 6.17b.  Am I just using this format
>>> incorrectly?
>
> My apologies.  I recently installed 6.17b, but to the wrong lisp
> target directory (i.e. so I was effectively using an older version
> of the code, 6.12b I think).  After installing it in the proper
> directory this works fine.

:-)  Yes, many problems come from running one version and reading the
manual of another version :-)

I am glad it works.  Even though, looking at your post, I am wondering
if it would be useful
to limit the comparison to "date-only" if the comparison value is a
date without a time.......

- Carsten

@ 2009-01-09 19:00       ` Bart Parliman
From: Bart Parliman @ 2009-01-09 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Jan 9, 2009, at 5:58 PM, Bart Parliman wrote:

>>> This one works fine for me.

>>> This one does not, because the CLOSED time stamp
>>> in the example also contains a time, while you comparison value is taken
>>> to be at midnight.

>>> For me it works fine.
>>>
>>> - Carsten

>> My apologies.  I recently installed 6.17b, but to the wrong lisp target
>> directory (i.e. so I was effectively using an older version of the code,
>> 6.12b I think).  After installing it in the proper directory this works
>> fine.
>
> :-)  Yes, many problems come from running one version and reading the manual
> of another version :-)
>
> I am glad it works.  Even though, looking at your post, I am wondering if it
> would be useful
> to limit the comparison to "date-only" if the comparison value is a date
> without a time.......
>
> - Carsten

That's probably a good idea to avoid confusion, though I'm not
sure how often one searches for a specific day with these.  For
closed items I tend to use a timeline display, but was looking at
using a range of dates instead when I noticed the problem.  The
only reason I tried a single date was to produce another data
point after I noticed that the '>=' seemed to fail.

Bart