* todo items not working?
@ 2009-04-29  3:21 Saketh
From: Saketh @ 2009-04-29  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi everyone:

I'm using Emacs 22.2.1 and org-mode 6.14 on Ubuntu Linux.

I've been trying to go through David O'Toole's tutorial, but I've hit a
problem in the first example itself. I have the following org file loaded in
org-mode:

* test
** TODO test2

However, when I do 'C-c C-t' on the second item, it changes it to this:

* test
 TODO ** test2

and messages 'not on a heading'.

Having encountered this error, I tried using the older version of org-mode
that Emacs 22 ships with -- and double-checked that the version change had
indeed been recognized -- but I encountered the same problem, except now the
TODO is spliced in between the two asterisks:

* test
* TODO * test2

I am not able to figure out how to fix this. I appreciate all suggestions --
it would be great if I am able to use this wonderful resource!

Sincerely,
Saketh

* Re: todo items not working?
@ 2009-04-29 13:02 ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-04-29 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saketh; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Saketh <saketh.bhamidipati@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi everyone:
>
> I'm using Emacs 22.2.1 and org-mode 6.14 on Ubuntu Linux.
>
> I've been trying to go through David O'Toole's tutorial, but I've hit a
> problem in the first example itself. I have the following org file
> loaded in org-mode:
>
> * test
> ** TODO test2
>
> However, when I do 'C-c C-t' on the second item, it changes it to this:
>
> * test
>  TODO ** test2
>
> and messages 'not on a heading'.
>
> Having encountered this error, I tried using the older version of
> org-mode that Emacs 22 ships with -- and double-checked that the
> version change had indeed been recognized -- but I encountered the same
> problem, except now the TODO is spliced in between the two asterisks:
>
> * test
> * TODO * test2

I've never encountered this behavior. Could you share your customization
for the variable org-todo-keywords?

Regards,
Matt

* Re: todo items not working?
@ 2009-04-29 13:39 Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2009-04-29 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saketh, Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

--- Mer 29/4/09, Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> ha scritto:
> Saketh <saketh.bhamidipati@gmail.com>  writes:
>
> > Hi everyone:
> >
> > I'm using Emacs 22.2.1 and org-mode 6.14 on Ubuntu
> > Linux.
> >
> > * test
> > ** TODO test2
> >
> > However, when I do 'C-c C-t' on the second item, it
> > changes it to this:
> >
> > * test
> >  TODO ** test2

it seems to me that you have pressed only C-t.

Try to use Shift-"left arrow" (->) to change TODO status.

cheers,

Giovanni

* Re: todo items not working?
@ 2009-04-30  2:25 ` Saketh
From: Saketh @ 2009-04-30  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Ridolfi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Greg: Okay, I have just done so, but I get the same behavior.

Matthew: My "customization" is simply the series of commands listed in the
documentation. That is:

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/org-6.26d/lisp")
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org$" . org-mode))
(require 'org-install)

Giovanni: Shift + Left Arrow (or Right Arrow) produces the exact same
behavior, for some reason.

Since I am doing this "from scratch" on Ubuntu Linux, I am surprised that I
am getting such weird behavior with "C-c C-t" and "Shift + Arrows".

Sincerely,
Saketh

--
Saketh Bhamidipati
Harvard College '11

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 9:39 AM, Giovanni Ridolfi <giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it
> wrote:

> --- Mer 29/4/09, Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> ha scritto:
> > Saketh <saketh.bhamidipati@gmail.com>  writes:
> >
> > > Hi everyone:
> > >
> > > I'm using Emacs 22.2.1 and org-mode 6.14 on Ubuntu
> > > Linux.
> > >
> > > * test
> > > ** TODO test2
> > >
> > > However, when I do 'C-c C-t' on the second item, it
> > > changes it to this:
> > >
> > > * test
> > >  TODO ** test2
>
> it seems to me that you have pressed only C-t.
>
> Try to use Shift-"left arrow" (->) to change TODO status.
>
> cheers,
>
> Giovanni

* Re: todo items not working?
@ 2009-04-30  4:31   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-04-30  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saketh; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Saketh <saketh.bhamidipati@gmail.com> wrote:

> Greg: Okay, I have just done so, but I get the same behavior.
>
> Matthew: My "customization" is simply the series of commands listed in the
> documentation. That is:
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/org-6.26d/lisp")
> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org$" . org-mode))
> (require 'org-install)
>
> Giovanni: Shift + Left Arrow (or Right Arrow) produces the exact same
> behavior, for some reason.
>
> Since I am doing this "from scratch" on Ubuntu Linux, I am surprised that I
> am getting such weird behavior with "C-c C-t" and "Shift + Arrows".

What does

     C-h c C-c C-t

say? Or does it cut it short and give you something after the C-c?
Either way, the answer should be interesting.

Nick

* Re: todo items not working?
@ 2009-04-30  4:45     ` Saketh
From: Saketh @ 2009-04-30  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

As expected, it says "C-c C-t runs the command org-todo." The command "M-x
org-todo" also does the same thing. Again, the same thing is:
* Tasks
** TODO This is a test

=>

* Tasks
* TODO * TODO This is a test

I'm still not able to figure it out, especially since this is out-of-the-box
behavior. More interestingly, I've tried it on another machine (which has
Carbon Emacs, org-mode v4.67c), and the same behavior occurs.

However, when the TODO items are at the top level (one asterisk), org-todo
works fine.

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:31 AM, Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

> Saketh <saketh.bhamidipati@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Greg: Okay, I have just done so, but I get the same behavior.
> >
> > Matthew: My "customization" is simply the series of commands listed in
> the
> > documentation. That is:
> >
> > (add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/org-6.26d/lisp")
> > (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org$" . org-mode))
> > (require 'org-install)
> >
> > Giovanni: Shift + Left Arrow (or Right Arrow) produces the exact same
> > behavior, for some reason.
> >
> > Since I am doing this "from scratch" on Ubuntu Linux, I am surprised that
> > am getting such weird behavior with "C-c C-t" and "Shift + Arrows".
> >

> What does
>
>     C-h c C-c C-t
>
> say? Or does it cut it short and give you something after the C-c?
> Either way, the answer should be interesting.
>
> Nick

* Re: todo items not working?
@ 2009-04-30 17:54       ` Saketh
From: Saketh @ 2009-04-30 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Greg, Matthew, Giovanni, Nick, and Memnon:
I did the 'edebug-defun' as Nick suggested and found the problem. An obscure
library that was installed on both of my machines modified outline-regexp
before org was loaded (as Nick had guessed), causing the wacky behavior.

Thank you very much for your help!

Sincerely,
Saketh

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:45 AM, Saketh <saketh.bhamidipati@gmail.com>wrote:

> As expected, it says "C-c C-t runs the command org-todo." The command "M-x
> org-todo" also does the same thing. Again, the same thing is:
> * Tasks
> ** TODO This is a test
>
> =>
>
> * Tasks
> * TODO * TODO This is a test
>
> I'm still not able to figure it out, especially since this is
> out-of-the-box behavior. More interestingly, I've tried it on another
> machine (which has Carbon Emacs, org-mode v4.67c), and the same behavior
> occurs.
>
> However, when the TODO items are at the top level (one asterisk), org-todo
> works fine.
>
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:31 AM, Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com>wrote:
>
>> Saketh <saketh.bhamidipati@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Greg: Okay, I have just done so, but I get the same behavior.
>> >
>> > Matthew: My "customization" is simply the series of commands listed in
>> the
>> > documentation. That is:
>> >
>> > (add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/org-6.26d/lisp")
>> > (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org$" . org-mode))
>> > (require 'org-install)
>> >
>> > Giovanni: Shift + Left Arrow (or Right Arrow) produces the exact same
>> > behavior, for some reason.
>> >
>> > Since I am doing this "from scratch" on Ubuntu Linux, I am surprised
>> that I
>> > am getting such weird behavior with "C-c C-t" and "Shift + Arrows".
>> >

>> What does
>>
>>     C-h c C-c C-t
>>
>> say? Or does it cut it short and give you something after the C-c?
>> Either way, the answer should be interesting.
>>
>> Nick

* Re: todo items not working?
@ 2009-04-30 18:46         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-04-30 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saketh; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Saketh <saketh.bhamidipati@gmail.com> wrote:

> I did the 'edebug-defun' as Nick suggested and found the problem. An obscure library that was
> installed on both of my machines modified outline-regexp before org was loaded (as Nick had
> guessed), causing the wacky behavior.

Was the library a public one? If so, you probably should post its name
so that there is a record of it in the archives - the next victim might
then have an easier time identifying the problem than you did!-)

Nick

* Re: todo items not working?
@ 2009-04-30 19:07           ` Saketh
From: Saketh @ 2009-04-30 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)