* name of face for dates in org agenda?
@ 2009-06-28  6:25 Brian van den Broek
From: Brian van den Broek @ 2009-06-28  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I've changed my overall emacs colour scheme and, as a result, the
dates in the weekly agenda view are a bit hard to read (dark blue on
black). I've looked through the interface that M-x org-customize
brings up, but I don't seem able to find the governing face variable
name. Little help?

Thanks and best,

Brian vdB

* Re: name of face for dates in org agenda?
@ 2009-06-28  7:32 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-06-28  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian van den Broek; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Brian van den Broek wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've changed my overall emacs colour scheme and, as a result, the dates in
> the weekly agenda view are a bit hard to read (dark blue on black). I've
> looked through the interface that M-x org-customize brings up, but I don't
> seem able to find the governing face variable name. Little help?

This is what I have in my .emacs.

 '(org-agenda-date ((t (:inherit font-lock-type-face))) t)
 '(org-agenda-date-weekend ((t (:inherit org-agenda-date))) t)
 '(org-date ((t (:inherit font-lock-constant-face))))

HTH
--
Manish

* Re: name of face for dates in org agenda?
@ 2009-06-28 13:11 ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-06-28 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian van den Broek; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Brian van den Broek <vanden@gmail.com> writes:

> I've changed my overall emacs colour scheme and, as a result, the
> dates in the weekly agenda view are a bit hard to read (dark blue on
> black). I've looked through the interface that M-x org-customize
> brings up, but I don't seem able to find the governing face variable
> name. Little help?

On a general note (I'll add an FAQ about this), here are two tips for
finding the names of faces in org-mode (or any other emacs mode):

1) While on the relevant text, simply type M-x customize-face and you
   will be given the option of customizing all faces at the point.

2) Type M-x list-faces-display and browse through the org-mode faces.

Best,

Matt

* Re: Re: name of face for dates in org agenda?
@ 2009-06-28 18:00   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-06-28 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:

> Brian van den Broek <vanden@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I've changed my overall emacs colour scheme and, as a result, the
> > dates in the weekly agenda view are a bit hard to read (dark blue on
> > black). I've looked through the interface that M-x org-customize
> > brings up, but I don't seem able to find the governing face variable
> > name. Little help?
>
> On a general note (I'll add an FAQ about this), here are two tips for
> finding the names of faces in org-mode (or any other emacs mode):
>
> 1) While on the relevant text, simply type M-x customize-face and you
>    will be given the option of customizing all faces at the point.
>
> 2) Type M-x list-faces-display and browse through the org-mode faces.

In addition to Matthew's points, the following might be useful:

3) While on the relevant text, `C-u C-x =' (what-cursor-position with a
   prefix argument) shows (extra) information about the text under the
   cursor, including the face:

,----
|         character: 0 (48, #o60, #x30)
| preferred charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
|        code point: 0x30
|            syntax: w 	which means: word
|          category: .:Base, a:ASCII, l:Latin, r:Roman
|       buffer code: #x30
|         file code: #x30 (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)
|           display: by this font (glyph code)
|     x:-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--15-140-75-75-c-90-iso8859-1 (#x30)
|
| Character code properties: customize what to show
|   name: DIGIT ZERO
|   general-category: Nd (Number, Decimal Digit)
|
| There are text properties here:
|   face                 org-date
|   fontified            t
|   keymap               [Show]
|   mouse-face           highlight
|   org-category         [Show]
|   org-no-flyspell      t
`----

4) While on the relevant text, M-x describe-face (also available from
   the menu Help/Describe/Describe face...) gives you information about
   the face and also allows you to customize it:

,----
| Documentation: Face for links.
| Defined in `org-faces.el'.
|
|         Family: unspecified
|        Foundry: unspecified
|          Width: unspecified
|         Height: unspecified
|         Weight: unspecified
|          Slant: unspecified
|     Foreground: Cyan
|     Background: unspecified
|      Underline: t
|       Overline: unspecified
| Strike-through: unspecified
|            Box: unspecified
|        Inverse: unspecified
|        Stipple: unspecified
|           Font: unspecified
|        Fontset: unspecified
|        Inherit: unspecified
`----

BTW, I noticed that the face documentation for org-date is wrong - probably
a cut-n-paste error.

Thanks,
Nick

* Re: Re: name of face for dates in org agenda?
@ 2009-06-28 18:28     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-06-28 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Matthew Lundin, emacs-orgmode

On Jun 28, 2009, at 8:00 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:
> BTW, I noticed that the face documentation for org-date is wrong -
> probably
> a cut-n-paste error.

Thanks.

Fixed.

- Carsten

* Re: Re: name of face for dates in org agenda?
@ 2009-06-29  0:54     ` Brian van den Broek
From: Brian van den Broek @ 2009-06-29  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos said unto the world at 28/06/09 02:00 PM:
> Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:
>
>> Brian van den Broek <vanden@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I've changed my overall emacs colour scheme and, as a result, the
>>> dates in the weekly agenda view are a bit hard to read (dark blue on
>>> black). I've looked through the interface that M-x org-customize
>>> brings up, but I don't seem able to find the governing face variable
>>> name. Little help?
>> On a general note (I'll add an FAQ about this), here are two tips for
>> finding the names of faces in org-mode (or any other emacs mode):
>>
>> 1) While on the relevant text, simply type M-x customize-face and you
>>    will be given the option of customizing all faces at the point.
>>
>> 2) Type M-x list-faces-display and browse through the org-mode faces.
>>

> In addition to Matthew's points, the following might be useful:
>
> 3) While on the relevant text, `C-u C-x =' (what-cursor-position with a
>    prefix argument) shows (extra) information about the text under the
>    cursor, including the face:

<snip>

> 4) While on the relevant text, M-x describe-face (also available from
>    the menu Help/Describe/Describe face...) gives you information about
>    the face and also allows you to customize it:

<snip>

Hi all,

Thanks to Manish, Matthew, and Nick for the pointers.

Matthew's (1) and Nick's (4), while good to know about, didn't help
here: the line with point has the face hi-line which masks the
underlying face from those commands. (2) and (3) both yield the
desires information, though, so thanks bunches.

Best,

Brian vdB