* Bug in table formula editor?
@ 2009-11-22  3:15 andrea
From: andrea @ 2009-11-22  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi everyone, I noticed a problem which on my configuration is repeatable
so I guess is a bug.

- go on a table
- press C-c ' to edit the formulas
- start to write @+..

It gets stuck and not even C-g can quit it..
This both on linux and OSx 10.6 with orgmode 6.33trans.

By the way I have a table like this

   ID PY   RB   C   HS         RESULT   SUBMITTED
  -------+----+---+----+--------------+-----------

    1   [X]             [X]          233168   Y
    2   [X]             [X]         4613732   Y
    3                 [X]            6857   Y
    4   [X]             [X]          906609   Y

In short checks if a file is there and otherwise creates a link that
executes the visit of that file.

And the [X] are generated by an elisp function like:

  (defun check_file (fname)
    (interactive)
    (if
        (file-exists-p fname)
        (concat "[[file:" fname "][X]]")
      ;; Otherwise create a link for a new file
      (concat "[[elisp:(find-file \"" fname "\")][_]]"))
    )

Now I would like to take directly the extension needed from the header
cell, and use the same formula for all the cells in the rectangle..
Is that a good idea?

The code I think could stay in the same file and evaluate it somehow
with the :session stuff (so finally I try it).
What do you think?

* Re: Bug in table formula editor?
@ 2009-11-22  5:56 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-22  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrea; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Andrea,
On Nov 22, 2009, at 4:15 AM, andrea wrote:

> Hi everyone, I noticed a problem which on my configuration is
> repeatable
> so I guess is a bug.
>
> - go on a table
> - press C-c ' to edit the formulas
> - start to write @+..

Can you please poost a concrete example and describe your steps more
precisely?

> It gets stuck and not even C-g can quit it..
> This both on linux and OSx 10.6 with orgmode 6.33trans.
>
> By the way I have a table like this
>
>   ID PY   RB   C   HS         RESULT   SUBMITTED
>  -------+----+---+----+--------------+-----------
>
>    1   [X]             [X]          233168   Y
>    2   [X]             [X]         4613732   Y
>    3                 [X]            6857   Y
>    4   [X]             [X]          906609   Y
>
> In short checks if a file is there and otherwise creates a link that
> executes the visit of that file.

??? What is the formula?  I guess you exported to ASCII
for posting, and that made a formula disappear?
I cannot see hat you mean?

- Carsten

* Re: Bug in table formula editor?
@ 2009-11-22 11:51   ` andrea Crotti
From: andrea Crotti @ 2009-11-22 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Yes I'm sorry the table was too big and screwed up so I didn't copy the formulas.
Anyway it's everything here
http://github.com/AndreaCrotti/my-project-euler/blob/master/euler.org

For the "bug" just go over the table
- press C-c '
- start typing a new formula with @+
after that emacs hangs and not even C-g restores it...

I now would like to use only one formula in the whole rectangular area and
take the extension from the first header of the column.

* Re: Re: Bug in table formula editor?
@ 2009-11-22 12:55     ` Andreas Burtzlaff
From: Andreas Burtzlaff @ 2009-11-22 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrea Crotti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello andrea,

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 11:51:31 +0000 (UTC)
andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes I'm sorry the table was too big and screwed up so I didn't copy the formulas.
> Anyway it's everything here
> http://github.com/AndreaCrotti/my-project-euler/blob/master/euler.org
>
> For the "bug" just go over the table
> - press C-c '
> - start typing a new formula with @+
> after that emacs hangs and not even C-g restores it...

I cannot reproduce this with Emacs 23.1.1 and org-6.33trans
release_6.33f.30.g011f.
If Emacs hangs completely it might be a bug in the Emacs core rather
then org-mode.

> I now would like to use only one formula in the whole rectangular area and
> take the extension from the first header of the column.

@1

so your full formula would look like:

'(check_file (concat "prob_" A& "." (downcase @1)))

HTH

Andreas

* Re: Bug in table formula editor?
@ 2009-11-22 13:46       ` andrea Crotti
From: andrea Crotti @ 2009-11-22 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Andreas Burtzlaff <andy13 <at> gmx.net> writes:

> I cannot reproduce this with Emacs 23.1.1 and org-6.33trans
> release_6.33f.30.g011f.
> If Emacs hangs completely it might be a bug in the Emacs core rather
> then org-mode.

I don't know what's the problem but it does it on both
osx and linux with emacs 23.1.50...

> @1
>
> so your full formula would look like:
>
> '(check_file (concat "prob_" A& "." (downcase @1)))

Ok thanks a lot, but I'm not able to define it over many columns..
I tried with
C&..F& =
but it doesn't keep the formula, is that wrong?

* Re: Re: Bug in table formula editor?
@ 2009-11-22 22:37         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-22 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrea Crotti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Nov 22, 2009, at 2:46 PM, andrea Crotti wrote:

> Andreas Burtzlaff <andy13 <at> gmx.net> writes:
>

>> I cannot reproduce this with Emacs 23.1.1 and org-6.33trans
>> release_6.33f.30.g011f.
>> If Emacs hangs completely it might be a bug in the Emacs core rather
>> then org-mode.
>
> I don't know what's the problem but it does it on both
> osx and linux with emacs 23.1.50...
>>
>> @1
>>
>> so your full formula would look like:
>>
>> '(check_file (concat "prob_" A& "." (downcase @1)))
>>

> Ok thanks a lot, but I'm not able to define it over many columns..
> I tried with
> C&..F& =
> but it doesn't keep the formula, is that wrong?

Unfortunately we do not have a way to define row
formulas.....  You need to copy and page the formula, like
in a normal speadsheet....

- Carsten

* Re: Bug in table formula editor?
@ 2009-11-23  9:08           ` andrea
From: andrea @ 2009-11-23  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On Nov 22, 2009, at 2:46 PM, andrea Crotti wrote:
> Unfortunately we do not have a way to define row
> formulas.....  You need to copy and page the formula, like
> in a normal speadsheet....
>
> - Carsten

Ok no problem, but what is then
$P..$Q?
If I name the columns and apply a formula to this don't I stil obtain
what I wanted?

And another thing if I insert invalid formulas in the formula editor
why do they just get droppepd without even a warning of the mistake?

I wrote them a few times before understanding they were wrong..

Anyway it's *MUCH MORE* than a normal spreadsheet!