* possible latex export bug
@ 2008-10-02  9:15 Austin Frank
From: Austin Frank @ 2008-10-02  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello!

I'll start by confessing up front that I've been tinkering with
different exporting functions these past few weeks, so it's possible
that the bug I'm reporting here is of my own making.  I can't track it
down, so here I am, hat in hand, to ask

a) is this reproducible?  and,
b) if not, any idea which functions I should look at to chase it
   down?

If I have the following org file

* this is a test
#+begin_latex
\mu
#+end_latex

and run org-export-as-latex, I get the following output

% normal preamble stuff
% ...

\begin{document}

\maketitle

\section*{this is a test}

\mu

\end{document}

That's the correct behavior.  If I use this org file

* this is a test
#+begin_latex
\begin{quote}
\mu
\end{quote}
#+end_latex

and run org-export-as-latex, I get

% normal preamble stuff
% ...
\begin{document}

\maketitle

\section*{this is a test}

\begin{quote}
\mu
\end{quote}
#+end_latex

\end{document}

In the second example, the #+end_latex line is not removed during
org-export-to-latex.

Possibly related, possibly unrelated, I'm also seeing that file-local
variables defined at the end of a buffer are being exported verbatim
during org-export-as-latex.  This only happens in cases where the
#+end_latex is also erroneously exported.

* this is a test
#+begin_latex
\begin{quote}
\mu
\end{quote}
#+end_latex

#+ Local Variables:
#+ org-export-latex-append-header: "
#+ \\usepackage{graphicx}
#+ "
#+ End:

gives

% normal preamble stuff
% ...

\begin{document}

\maketitle

\begin{quote}
\mu
\end{quote}
#+end_latex

#+ Local Variables:
#+ org-export-latex-append-header: "
#+ \\usepackage{graphicx}
#+ "
#+ End:

\end{document}

This doesn't just apply to the quote environment, I've reproduced it
with other #begin/end_latex blocks that contain latex environments.
That is to say

* this is a test
#+begin_latex
\begin{verbatim}
\mu
\end{verbatim}
#+end_latex

has the same problem of including the #+end_latex tag after export.

This is with Org-mode version 6.08-pre01, GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1
(powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, *Step 9.0) of 2008-10-01.

Can anyone reproduce this?  Any debugging tips?

Thanks,
/au

--
Austin Frank
http://aufrank.net

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 193 bytes --]

* Re: possible latex export bug
@ 2008-10-02 15:07 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-10-02 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Austin Frank; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 2:45 PM, Austin Frank wrote:
> [...]
  >
  > #+ Local Variables:
  > #+ org-export-latex-append-header: "
  > #+ \\usepackage{graphicx}
  > #+ "
  > #+ End:
  >
  > \end{document}
  >
  > This doesn't just apply to the quote environment, I've reproduced it
  > with other #begin/end_latex blocks that contain latex environments.
  > That is to say

  > * this is a test
  > #+begin_latex
  > \begin{verbatim}
  > \mu
  > \end{verbatim}
  > #+end_latex
  >
  > has the same problem of including the #+end_latex tag after export.
  >
  > This is with Org-mode version 6.08-pre01, GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1
  > (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, *Step 9.0) of 2008-10-01.
  >

  > Can anyone reproduce this?  Any debugging tips?

Yes, I can reproduce the issue in both the cases.

-- Manish
GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
Org-mode version 6.08-pre01 (commit 0ec6021)

* Re: possible latex export bug
@ 2008-10-10 21:13 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-10-10 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Austin Frank; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Austin,

I believe this bug has been fixed recently by Bastien.  Could you
please check and confirm that this is the case?

Thanks.

- Carsten

@ 2008-10-13  3:56   ` Austin Frank
From: Austin Frank @ 2008-10-13  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Oct 10 2008, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> I believe this bug has been fixed recently by Bastien.  Could you
> please check and confirm that this is the case?

Carsten and Bastien--

I still get this behavior.  To reproduce

1.  Start emacs with emacs -Q
2.  Evaluate the line

  (require 'org-install)

3.  Open a new file, tesing.org.  Execute M-x org-mode.
4.  Put the following content in testing.org

* test
#+BEGIN_LATEX
\begin{verbatim}
a <- 3
\end{verbatim}
#+END_LATEX

5.  Execute org-export-as-latex by C-c C-e l
6.  Output is

% Created 2008-10-12 Sun 23:43
\documentclass[11pt,a4paper]{article}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{hyperref}

\title{testing}
\author{Austin Frank}
\date{12 October 2008}

\begin{document}

\maketitle

\setcounter{tocdepth}{3}
\tableofcontents

\section{test}
\label{sec-1}

\begin{verbatim}
a <- 3
\end{verbatim}
#+END_LATEX

\end{document}

I also am seeing that file-local variables at the bottom of the file are
still exported into the latex.  For now I'm assuming that it's the same
bug, but if the #+END_LATEX bug gets fixed and the other persists, I'll
file another report :)

Org-mode version 6.09a
GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, *Step 9.0) of
2008-10-12

Just to be sure, I also ran

  git diff origin lisp/org-exp.el
  git diff origin lisp/org-export.el

and found no differences between my local copy and the copy in the
origin repository.  I think that's the right way to check, but feel free
to correct me if I'm comparing things incorrectly.

Thanks,
/au

--
Austin Frank
http://aufrank.net
GPG Public Key (D7398C2F): http://aufrank.net/personal.asc

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 193 bytes --]

* Re: Re: possible latex export bug
@ 2008-10-14 18:46     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-10-14 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Austin Frank; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Austin,

please give it another try, I think I have fixed this problem.

- Carsten

@ 2008-10-15  2:54       ` Austin Frank
From: Austin Frank @ 2008-10-15  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode