From: Pierre de Buyl <pdebuyl@ulb.ac.be>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] S5 export
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 09:45:16 -0400	[thread overview]

>> If welcomed, I have a few comments related to how I currently use
>> this
>> function (I have a talk coming soon :-) )
>
> Certainly, I'm happy to hear your feedback.
>
> I have the most recent version of my code up in a git repository
> available at [1], with the file defining the `org-export-as-s5'
> function
> up at [2].

I can't clone the repository.
$ git clone http://gitweb.adaptive.cs.unm.edu/org-S5.git
Cloning into org-S5...
warning: remote HEAD refers to nonexistent ref, unable to checkout.

I could get a snapshot however, from the web interface.

>>     - If all "star" headlines become slides, it quickly leads to
>> awkward layouts with empty slides below one star headings.
>
> Agreed, for this reason `org-export-headline-levels' is set to 1.
>

>>       I made a modification to the code to choose only one star
>> headings as slides. This way, level 2 headings can be used as "in
>> slide" headings.
>>       I used an (if (looking-at "^\\* ") XXX) in the preprocess hook
>> for that.
>
> I think using the `org-export-headline-levels' variable should be an
> easier way to implement this.  See line 29 of the current code where
> this variable is set.
>
> Oh, looking more closely, I see why you've made this change.  Even
> though it shouldn't affect the output it seems wasteful to add the
> 'html-container-class property to non-top-level headlines.  I've
> added a
> slight modification of your change to my code.
Also, you cannot CSS properties for level 2 headlines, for instance.

With your modification, it is still not possible to use level 2
headings in a slide with proper CSS formatting.

>>     - An actual "title page" seems more appropriate, so I added one
>> with "title author date" as h1,h2 and h3 headings.
>
> Great idea.  I've updated my code to include two customizable format
> strings (`org-s5-title-string-fmt' and `org-s5-title-page-fmt') which
> can be used to specify the title string shown at the bottom of each
> page, and the title page respectively.
Ok, but how should one set that ?
I have the feeling that defining variables is not an easy approach.
For instance, can it be set as a text field in the file ?
Ok, I just read it and they are taken from the regular title author
and date variables.

>> The css need to be tweaked a little bit to get nice results.
>> My modified org-export-as-s5 function is attached.
>>
>> I also posted an example online. It it exported from the file s5-
>> test.org with the function defined in the attached file. The css is
>> very slightly modified.
>> The "scientific content" of the talk is incomplete, this is
>> normal :-/
>>
>> http://homepages.ulb.ac.be/~pdebuyl/lectures/s5-test.html
>> http://homepages.ulb.ac.be/~pdebuyl/lectures/s5-test.org
>>

> Very nice, I really like the title page addition, and it's great to
> see
> pictures, code and latex equations in a single example presentation.
>
> I have an example with a simple theme I wrote available online [3].
> Just yesterday I added a page to Worg [4] with instructions for using
> this new function which links to my simple example presentation.
> If you
> don't mind sharing your example publicly I think it would make a great
> addition to this worg page.

You can post all of that, source and everything, on worg. It should
just not rely on links to my page for the pictures, if possible.

> In general, I think this new S5 export option is turning into a very
> useful addition to Org-mode.
>
> Cheers -- Eric

It is especially useful for presentations with source code, in my
opinion.
Regards,

Pierre