* Beginning of headline, after *
@ 2007-03-16  5:04 Scott Jaderholm
From: Scott Jaderholm @ 2007-03-16  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I was reading the EmacsWiki and saw a shortcut M-m which takes you to the
beginning of an indented line and I was wondering, is there a shortcut in
org-mode to go to the beginning of a heading (second space after the last
*)? If not, should M-m do this in org-mode?

--Scott

* Re: Beginning of headline, after *
@ 2007-03-16  8:31 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-03-16  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2007-03-16, Scott Jaderholm said:

> Hi,
>
> I was reading the EmacsWiki and saw a shortcut M-m which takes you to the beginning of an
> indented line and I was wondering, is there a shortcut in org-mode to go to the beginning
> of a heading (second space after the last *)? If not, should M-m do this in org-mode?
>
> --Scott

If this feature to implement at all, I would suggest C-c
M-m. Overriding a global key binding can be inconvenient.

* Re: Beginning of headline, after *
@ 2007-03-16  9:03   ` Leo
       [not found]     ` <98393e5ff5a1f1a180a0d7eca050c1e8@science.uva.nl>
From: Leo @ 2007-03-16  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2007-03-16, Leo said:

> On 2007-03-16, Scott Jaderholm said:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was reading the EmacsWiki and saw a shortcut M-m which takes you
>> to the beginning of an indented line and I was wondering, is there
>> a shortcut in org-mode to go to the beginning of a heading (second
>> space after the last *)? If not, should M-m do this in org-mode?
>>
>> --Scott
>
> If this feature to implement at all, I would suggest C-c
> M-m. Overriding a global key binding can be inconvenient.

I just came up with a better solution.

When cursor is on a headline but not at the beginning of the heading,
C-a move it to the beginning.

  *** An example h

      |<---------+ first C-a
      |
  |<--+ second C-a

You can find a similar behavior in many other modes such as
message-mode.

* Re: Re: Beginning of headline, after *
@ 2007-03-16 16:21     ` Scott Jaderholm
       [not found]     ` <98393e5ff5a1f1a180a0d7eca050c1e8@science.uva.nl>
From: Scott Jaderholm @ 2007-03-16 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 3/16/07, Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2007-03-16, Leo said:
>
> > On 2007-03-16, Scott Jaderholm said:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I was reading the EmacsWiki and saw a shortcut M-m which takes you
> >> to the beginning of an indented line and I was wondering, is there
> >> a shortcut in org-mode to go to the beginning of a heading (second
> >> space after the last *)? If not, should M-m do this in org-mode?
> >>
> >> --Scott
> >
> > If this feature to implement at all, I would suggest C-c
> > M-m. Overriding a global key binding can be inconvenient.
>
> I just came up with a better solution.
>
> When cursor is on a headline but not at the beginning of the heading,
> C-a move it to the beginning.
>
>   *** An example h
>       |<---------+ first C-a
>   |<--+ second C-a
>
> You can find a similar behavior in many other modes such as
> message-mode.

Leo,

Good idea, one problem with this though is that for people using screen you
have to type C-a a C-a a. Kind of a long keystroke. Then again, judging from
all the shift keystrokes in org-mode, console functionality doesn't appear
to be a very high priority.

I would think though that it would annoy people who are used to C-a going to
the beginning of the line.

@ 2007-03-16 16:34 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-03-16 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Jaderholm; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 16, 2007, at 6:04, Scott Jaderholm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was reading the EmacsWiki and saw a shortcut M-m which takes you to
> the beginning of an indented line and I was wondering, is there a
> shortcut in org-mode to go to the beginning of a heading (second space
> after the last *)? If not, should M-m do this in org-mode?

This is a useful idea.

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Beginning of headline, after *
@ 2007-03-16 17:17       ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2007-03-16 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Scott Jaderholm" <jaderholm@gmail.com> writes:
> Good idea, one problem with this though is that for people using
> screen you have to type C-a a C-a a. Kind of a long keystroke. Then
> again, judging from all the shift keystrokes in org-mode, console
> functionality doesn't appear to be a very high priority.
>
> I would think though that it would annoy people who are used to C-a
> going to the beginning of the line.

The C-a binding in screen is evil in any case :P

The suggested behaviour (C-a takes you to after the *s) is consistent
with all of the comint-based modes, as well as many others, so it
shouldn't be too surprising to anyone.

If someone really, really wants C-a to always go to the beginning of
the line, then they can set inhibit-field-text-motion to t (works for
shell-mode, anyway).

| Jason F. McBrayer                    jmcbray@carcosa.net  |
| If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |
| battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |
| is the greatest of all conquerors.  --- The Dhammapada    |

* Re: Re: Beginning of headline, after *
       [not found]       ` <m24polqdbi.fsf@sl392.st-edmunds.cam.ac.uk>
@ 2007-03-16 18:18         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-03-16 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 16, 2007, at 18:59, Leo wrote:

> I assume people would hardly go to the beginning of a heading line
> since change the level can be done by M-<right/left> i.e. most of the
> time they type C-a they actually mean the beginning of the heading
> (without *). Isn't this the case for you?

Yes it is.

Thinks are less clear for plain list items where we could have
a similar thing, going to the

      - some item
        |<--------- this could be the C-a position

- Carsten

* Re: Beginning of headline, after *
@ 2007-03-16 18:41           ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-03-16 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2007-03-16, Carsten Dominik said:

> On Mar 16, 2007, at 18:59, Leo wrote:
>>
>> I assume people would hardly go to the beginning of a heading line
>> since change the level can be done by M-<right/left> i.e. most of the
>> time they type C-a they actually mean the beginning of the heading
>> (without *). Isn't this the case for you?
>
> Yes it is.
>
> Thinks are less clear for plain list items where we could have
> a similar thing, going to the
>
>      - some item
>        |<--------- this could be the C-a position

I found it not as useful as for headlines.