* Markup for export question
@ 2009-07-09 13:19 Ulf Stegemann
From: Ulf Stegemann @ 2009-07-09 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

When writing documentations I often come across expressions like

  doMagic('myVariable')

In an ideal world the HTML code for this after exporting the org file
would look like this:

The purpose is of course to indicate that `doMagic' is a literal
function/method name while `myVariable' is not meant literal and is to
be replaced something more or less sensible.

However, I find that rather hard to achieve and was only able to produce
this with quoted HTML tags.  In order to find a simpler solution I was
fiddling with `org-emphasis-alist' and `org-emphasis-regexp-components'
but to no avail.  Does anybody have an idea how to create that HTML code
from a simple markup in an org file?  BTW: Same applies probably for
LaTeX export but I haven't been playing around with this.

Ulf

* Re: Markup for export question
@ 2009-07-09 15:09 Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2009-07-09 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, Ulf Stegemann

--- Gio 9/7/09, Ulf Stegemann <ulf-news@zeitform.de> ha scritto:
> When writing documentations I often
> come across expressions like
>
>   doMagic('myVariable')
>
> In an ideal world the HTML code for this after exporting
> the org file
> would look like this:

> The purpose is of course to indicate that `doMagic' is a
> literal
> function/method name while `myVariable' is not meant
> literal and is to
> be replaced something more or less sensible.

... did you play with  "Literal examples",
chapter 12.1 of the manual?

or "12.6.6 Text areas" ?
cheers,

Giovanni

* Re: Markup for export question
@ 2009-07-09 15:38 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-07-09 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Stegemann; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ulf Stegemann <ulf-news@zeitform.de> writes:
> When writing documentations I often come across expressions like
>
>   doMagic('myVariable')
>
> In an ideal world the HTML code for this after exporting the org file
> would look like this:

Example:

  #+MACRO: macname (eval (format "Macro says '%s'" $1))

  * Some headline

    {{{macname("Something to say here")}}}

It does _not_ work without the `eval'.

See:

  http://orgmode.org/Changes.html#sec-2.1.1

  Sebastian

* Re: Markup for export question
@ 2009-07-09 15:59 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-07-09 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Stegemann; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Haha, just for the fun of it: While trying to document this via
Org-mode, I had to define this macro here:

  #+MACRO: macro {{{$1}}}

  * Predefined Macros

     * ={{{macro(date(TIME_FORMAT_STRING))}}}=
     * ={{{macro(modification-time(TIME_FORMAT_STRING))}}}=
     * ={{{macro(time(TIME_FORMAT_STRING))}}}=
     * ={{{macro(input-file)}}}=

  Sebastian

* Re: Markup for export question
@ 2009-07-09 17:47   ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-07-09 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Stegemann; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:
> Ulf Stegemann <ulf-news@zeitform.de> writes:
>> When writing documentations I often come across expressions like
>>
>>   doMagic('myVariable')
>>
>> In an ideal world the HTML code for this after exporting the org file
>> would look like this:

> Example:
>

>   #+MACRO: macname (eval (format "Macro says '%s'" $1))
>
>   * Some headline
>
>     {{{macname("Something to say here")}}}
>

> It does _not_ work without the `eval'.
>

> See:
>
>   http://orgmode.org/Changes.html#sec-2.1.1

Can someone here tell me, what I read when looking at the OP's email?

This works, but not in #+BEGIN_SRC or `  : ' protected:

  Sebastian

* Re: Markup for export question
@ 2009-07-10  7:35 ` Ulf Stegemann
From: Ulf Stegemann @ 2009-07-10  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Giovanni,

Giovanni Ridolfi <giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it> wrote:

> --- Gio 9/7/09, Ulf Stegemann <ulf-news@zeitform.de> ha scritto:
>> When writing documentations I often
>> come across expressions like
>>
>>  doMagic('myVariable')
>>
>> In an ideal world the HTML code for this after exporting the org file
>> would look like this:

>> The purpose is of course to indicate that `doMagic' is a literal
>> function/method name while `myVariable' is not meant literal and is
>> to be replaced something more or less sensible.
>
> ... did you play with "Literal examples", chapter 12.1 of the manual?
>
> or "12.6.6 Text areas" ?

yes, I'm aware of those but I was rather referring to inline markup not
src/example blocks. To make it clearer, imagine something like this:

  Copy your configuration to /install-dir/conf.

Which ideally would be exported as

This is something where a src/example block is not suitable.

Ulf