* Support for simultaneous running clocks?
@ 2020-07-18 15:57 Carlo Tambuatco
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Carlo Tambuatco @ 2020-07-18 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I don't know if anyone has suggested or is working on the ability for org
mode to
keep track of multiple running clocks simultaneously. I'd like the ability
to keep
track of, for example, how long something takes to compile while I keep
track of
how long I am working on some other project task at the same time.

* Re: Support for simultaneous running clocks?
@ 2020-07-19 13:08 ` stardiviner
From: stardiviner @ 2020-07-19 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlo Tambuatco; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I wish this feature too.

--
[ stardiviner ]
       I try to make every word tell the meaning that I want to express.

       Blog: https://stardiviner.github.io/
       IRC(freenode): stardiviner, Matrix: stardiviner
       GPG: F09F650D7D674819892591401B5DF1C95AE89AC3

* Re: Support for simultaneous running clocks?
@ 2020-07-24 11:59 ` Alexander Adolf
From: Alexander Adolf @ 2020-07-24 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlo Tambuatco, emacs-orgmode

Hello Carlo, Org Devs,

Carlo Tambuatco <oraclmaster@gmail.com> writes:

> I don't know if anyone has suggested or is working on the ability for
> org mode to keep track of multiple running clocks simultaneously. I'd
> like the ability to keep track of, for example, how long something
> takes to compile while I keep track of how long I am working on some
> other project task at the same time.

I have worked with quite a couple or work tracking tools, Org being one
of them (albeit my favourite one). I learnt that running multiple clocks
in parallel was an idea that didn't work out for me. In reality, I'm
only ever doing one thing at a time [1]. If I want to bill that one
thing multiple times, I clock it once, and just duplicate the time
clocked to "the other" project(s). Or, with Org an elisp support, you
can create a "magic timer", whose recorded times will be automatically
copied to all "linked" projects. If I ran multiple clocks at the same
time, I would - more often than not - forget to start or stop one of
them, messing up my accounting. Hence, my baseline is "run a single
clock only, tracking what I'm doing, and do any doubling-up-magic in the
accounting".

Also, to gauge build times, it might seem more promising to make the
bench marking part of the build process itself ("Build took ...")?

[1] https://hbr.org/2010/12/you-cant-multi-task-so-stop-tr

Just my two cents anyway.

Cheers,

  --alexander

* Re: Support for simultaneous running clocks?
@ 2020-09-04 17:14 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-09-04 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlo Tambuatco; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carlo,

Carlo Tambuatco <oraclmaster@gmail.com> writes:

> I don't know if anyone has suggested or is working on the ability for
> org mode to
> keep track of multiple running clocks simultaneously. I'd like the
> ability to keep
> track of, for example, how long something takes to compile while I
> keep track of
> how long I am working on some other project task at the same time.

FWIW, this has also been requested in this thread recently:

https://orgmode.org/list/CAL1eYu+BhbPa_Xk9G-zpUJM26iZca4Zke8Kt93_PQCefxQaAPQ@mail.gmail.com

I can think of a few use cases, but I wonder if the is worth the added
complexity.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Support for simultaneous running clocks?
@ 2020-09-05  5:27   ` stardiviner
From: stardiviner @ 2020-09-05  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Carlo Tambuatco, emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Carlo,
>
> Carlo Tambuatco <oraclmaster@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I don't know if anyone has suggested or is working on the ability for
>> org mode to
>> keep track of multiple running clocks simultaneously. I'd like the
>> ability to keep
>> track of, for example, how long something takes to compile while I
>> keep track of
>> how long I am working on some other project task at the same time.
>
> FWIW, this has also been requested in this thread recently:
>
> https://orgmode.org/list/CAL1eYu+BhbPa_Xk9G-zpUJM26iZca4Zke8Kt93_PQCefxQaAPQ@mail.gmail.com
>
> I can think of a few use cases, but I wonder if the is worth the added
> complexity.

It depends on how much complexity would it introduced into Org-mode. But I think
it's worth.

- Most clock commands I uses is clocking from headline on in org-agenda, or even
  from org-capture. Then clock out. If support multiple simultaneous clocks.
  Then might need to use some extra arguments like headline location. About
  this, I think should not be much complexity.
- If there are some case have not considered, can also be supported for new feature.
- maybe the mode-line clocking might need to adjusted. Anyone have good idea?
  + If only one clock, then display clocking task tile.
  + If have more than one clocks, then display clock numbers?
  + Use mouse-hover tooltip to display currently all running clocks.
- But this new feature will bring more usage benefits. Like time tracking on
  different tasks; project top-level headline and sub-task simultaneous clocking
  for projects; and more accurate time statistics output on time-block etc. Also
  user can start new clock without interrupt old clock, for example, user
  defined an org-capture template will auto start a clock, but don't want to
  interrupt current clock.

For now, this is all I can come up with.

org-timer is a similar functionality.
Maybe consider to let org-timer to be simultaneous too?
But there is problem on how to interact with multiple org timers.

--

@ 2020-09-10 20:48   ` TRS-80
From: TRS-80 @ 2020-09-10 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2020-09-04 13:14, Bastien wrote:
> Hi Carlo,
>
>> Carlo Tambuatco <oraclmaster@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> how long something takes to compile

I have set my shell prompt with a timestamp for exactly this reason.  I
have also seen someone who set it to reflect elapsed time since last
command, instead.

But I guess maybe you are referring to inside Emacs / Orgmode?  I'm just
throwing out a possible alternative.

Cheers,

TRS-80

* Re: Support for simultaneous running clocks?
@ 2020-09-10 22:15     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2020-09-10 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TRS-80; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

more than one clock can be useful, but maybe need not be org-related,
even if that would be nice?  for example, your laundry is due in 45m,
tea will be steeped in 8m, etc.

i believe there is a package that allow many non-org clocks and has a
list-timers or so that shows you what you have running.  i forgot its
name.  idk if htat would be useful.  presumably counts up and down and
possibly notifies.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

Please learn what misopathy is.
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-some-diseases-are-wronged.html

* Re: Support for simultaneous running clocks?
@ 2020-09-12  6:16       ` Michael Welle
From: Michael Welle @ 2020-09-12  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> more than one clock can be useful, but maybe need not be org-related,
> even if that would be nice?  for example, your laundry is due in 45m,
> tea will be steeped in 8m, etc.
for that exactly that use case ;) I have a small shell script that
creates at jobs and pops up a msg box when laundry is due. With an elisp
wrapper it's easy to M-x it from Emacs. Nothing fancy or elaborated, but
it works for me.

Regards
hmw

* Re: Support for simultaneous running clocks?
@ 2020-09-23 14:34         ` stardiviner
From: stardiviner @ 2020-09-23 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Welle; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Michael Welle <mwe012008@gmx.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> more than one clock can be useful, but maybe need not be org-related,
>> even if that would be nice?  for example, your laundry is due in 45m,
>> tea will be steeped in 8m, etc.
> for that exactly that use case ;) I have a small shell script that
> creates at jobs and pops up a msg box when laundry is due. With an elisp
> wrapper it's easy to M-x it from Emacs. Nothing fancy or elaborated, but
> it works for me.

Like this, you're just using system. Not Org Mode. Clock need to clock specific
headline tasks or something else. Well, sure, if user in similar case, of course
can use shell script, that will be more convenient.

Anyone would also like to add this feature?

# ==============================================================================

I've looked command ~org-clock-in~ source code around, I summarized some parts
might related or be affected:

- clock under different headlines for multiple clocking.
- clock in org-agenda buffer should similar as above.
- clock in/out hooks should still working as before.
- the mode-line lighter of displaying clock need to be changed (my idea is use
  mouse hover to display all running clocks in Emacs tooltip).

# ==============================================================================

Here is some thought about how to implement it, just some thought, not code prototype.
(Copied text from my previous message, and added something.)

- Most clock commands I uses is clocking from headline on in org-agenda, or even
  from org-capture. Then clock out. If support multiple simultaneous clocks.
  Then might need to use some extra arguments like headline location. About
  this, I think should not be much complexity.
- Need to use different variable to maintain all running clocks.
- If there are some case have not considered, can also be supported for new feature.
- maybe the mode-line clocking might need to adjusted. Anyone have good idea?
  + If only one clock, then display clocking task tile.
  + If have more than one clocks, then display clock numbers?
  + Use mouse-hover tooltip to display currently all running clocks.
- But this new feature will bring more usage benefits. Like time tracking on
  different tasks; project top-level headline and sub-task simultaneous clocking
  for projects; and more accurate time statistics output on time-block etc. Also
  user can start new clock without interrupt old clock, for example, user
  defined an org-capture template will auto start a clock, but don't want to
  interrupt current clock.

After this think over, I might want to take a try.

I will dig deeper in source code. Come back later.