* Suggestions for Orgmode.org homepage
@ 2009-01-07 18:28 Manish
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Manish @ 2009-01-07 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello Carsten,

The image at http://imagebin.org/35260 shows the Orgmode homepage in
IE6 and http://imagebin.org/35261 shows the the same page in FF3.  The
page in IE (6) is jumbled up (table of contents mixed up with page
contents) since it (IE6) does not support "position: fixed" used in
the org.css.  I faced the same issue when I gave some org-generated
HTML documentation to someone using IE yesterday.  So I got some help
from a friend and worked out a compromise so that it doesn't break so
horribly in IE6.

What I did was to create another small CSS file, org-ie6, css, with following
contents:

  : #table-of-contents{
  :     position: absolute;
  :     float: left;
  : }
  :
  : body {
  :  background-attachment: scroll;
  : }

And load this CSS conditionally when IE 6 is being used by adding
following line in the generated HTML file's header just above the

  : <!--[if lt IE 7]><link rel="stylesheet" href="org-ie6.css"
type="text/css" ><![endif]-->

(previous line may wrap)

The compromise is that the table of contents in the sidebar (along
with the background image) scrolls up with the page unlike in FF,
which IMHO, is an acceptable compromise.  I have been told that some
javascript magic can make IE6 behave like "position: fixed" but I
haven't yet worked out how/if that can be done.

Possibly a better workaround/solution exists for this else please
consider making similar change to the Orgmode home page.

Also, I do not have access to IE7 so I do not know if that works.

Manish

* Re: Suggestions for Orgmode.org homepage
@ 2009-01-07 19:45 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-01-07 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

This is what I use in such cases. All styles starting with '*' are read
by IE only. No compromise should be neccessary.

@media screen {

  /* ... all your styles here ... */

  #table-of-contents
  {
    position:fixed;
    width:198px;
  }

  * html { overflow-y: hidden; }

  * html body {
    overflow-y: auto;
    height: 100%;
    padding: 0 0 0 0;
    font-size: 100%;
  }

  * html div#table-of-contents { position: absolute; }
}

Regards,

    Sebastian

--
Sebastian Rose, EMMA STIL - mediendesign, Niemeyerstr.6, 30449 Hannover
Tel.:  +49 (0)511 - 36 58 472

* Re: Suggestions for Orgmode.org homepage
@ 2009-01-07 20:25   ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-01-07 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 1:15 AM, Sebastian Rose wrote:

> This is what I use in such cases. All styles starting with '*' are read
> by IE only. No compromise should be neccessary.
>

> @media screen {
>
> /* ... all your styles here ... */
>
> #table-of-contents
> {
>  position:fixed;
>  width:198px;
> }
>
> * html { overflow-y: hidden; }
>
> * html body {
>  overflow-y: auto;
>  height: 100%;
>  padding: 0 0 0 0;
>  font-size: 100%;
> }
>
> * html div#table-of-contents { position: absolute; }
> }

This is a much better solution.  I have an on/off-topic question
though, if you do not mind.  In case the TOC contents are more than
what fits on the page what do I add to css (or may be to #+OPTIONS
line?) to bring up a scroll bar like in
http://orgmode.org/Changes.html?

@ 2009-01-07 21:26 ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-01-07 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Manish,

Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> writes:

> Also, I do not have access to IE7 so I do not know if that works.

Either of these sites are nice for seeing what pages look like on
various versions of IE.

http://browsershots.org/

http://ipinfo.info/netrenderer/

- Matt

* Re: Suggestions for Orgmode.org homepage
@ 2009-01-07 23:41   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-01-07 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Sebastian,

would you like to make things easy for me and make me a new version of
org.css which will work also on IE, and send it to me????

Thanks!

- Carsten

@ 2009-01-08  2:53     ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-01-08  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Manish,

just make the #table-of-contents limited to a certain height. 100%
should work if nothing else is higher than the visible area in the
browser. If it doesn't, use a pixel value.

 @media screen {

 /* ... all your styles here ... */

 #table-of-contents
 {
  position:fixed;
  width:198px;
  /* add this for the height: */
  height:100%;
  overflow:auto;
 }

 * html { overflow-y: hidden; }

 * html body {
  overflow-y: auto;
  height: 100%;
  padding: 0 0 0 0;
  font-size: 100%;
 }

--

@ 2009-01-08  2:54     ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-01-08  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> would you like to make things easy for me and make me a new version of org.css
> which will work also on IE, and send it to me????

Yes, I'll give it a shot this evening.

Best,

   Sebastian

@ 2009-01-08  3:27       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-01-08  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

A reminder about accessibility.

With changes to code that creates web pages, remember to try
increasing the font size to very large and looking at all parts of the
page.

Try fonts large enough that the maximized browser can only display 60
characters or so.

Quite often, text overlaps itself vertically or horizontally.  Quite
often it also runs past the right margin of the window, or the right
or bottom edge of parts of the page.  When that happens, the page is
often unusable.

--
For personal gain, myalgic encephalomyelitis denialists are knowingly
causing further suffering and death by grossly corrupting science.  Do

* Re: Suggestions for Orgmode.org homepage
@ 2009-01-08  4:02       ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-01-08  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

That works!  Thank you Sebastian.

--
Manish

@ 2009-01-08  5:44   ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-01-08  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Both are wonderful resources.  Thanks for sharing.

--
Manish

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 2:56 AM, Matthew Lundin wrote:

> Hi Manish,
>
> Manish writes:
>>
>> Also, I do not have access to IE7 so I do not know if that works.
>>

> Either of these sites are nice for seeing what pages look like on
> various versions of IE.
>
> http://browsershots.org/
>
> http://ipinfo.info/netrenderer/
>
> - Matt

* R: Suggestions for Orgmode.org homepage
@ 2009-01-08  9:03 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2009-01-08  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Manish

--- Mer 7/1/09, Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> ha scritto:
> Also, I do not have access to IE7 so I do not know if that
> works.

On 8th January 2008 at 10:01 CET
with IE 7.057???
XP SP??