Hi Dan, general comparison operators for properties should have been implemented a long time ago, thanks for bring this up. This is now available in the GIT repository and will be part of the upcoming 6.02 release - thanks for raising this point. Unfortunately there are no good examples for true custom searches available. Some of this is described in the manual. Basically, you need to use a general search to pre-select some entries, for example a tags/property search with the criterion "LEVEL>=2" (this already uses the new operators, so in order to do this, make sure you have the latest devellopment version...). Then you need to write a function that will decide if the entry at point should really be included, and if not, where to continue the search. A short description of this with a small example can be found here: http://orgmode.org/manual/Special-agenda-views.html#Special-agenda-views HTH - Carsten On Apr 17, 2008, at 2:19 PM, Dan Davison wrote: > I'd like to ask about ways in which (sorted) sparse trees can be > produced based on numerical-valued properties. One thing I have in > mind is that it would seem natural to treat priority as a (1- > dimensional) numerical quantity, rather than as a categorical > variable as it seems to be currently. i.e. I'm attracted by the idea > of being able to generate a sparse tree containing all subtrees with > priority greater than 2.5, and to have headings in the sparse tree > sorted by priority. (Of course I'm not suggesting replacing the > current priority system; in the above by 'priority' I mean some user > defined numerical-valued property.) [ Am I right in thinking that > one also can't do this currently with timestamps? Not that that is > necessarily needed as the agenda view does a lovely job. ] > > So one version of my question would be > > q1. Would it be possible to implement binary comparison operators > >,<,>=,<= for use in tag and property searches? (If true numeric > comparisons are difficult, then alphanumeric would still be useful.) > > Sorry if this is available already. > > I also have a more general question, which may well arise from my > ignorance of what's available. I should admit at the outset that so > far I haven't attempted to do anything other than completely basic > customisations of org-mode. > > q2: It's my impression that the majority of current users aren't > scared of (e)lisp. (personally I am skill/knowledge-less but not > scared). Is there a 'template'/'model' function a user should look > at if they wanted to implement their own sparse-tree creation > function? I am thinking of a function that takes as arguments a > node's properties (and possibly also tags, priority, timestamps), > and computes a TRUE/FALSE value (err, t/nil?) that specifies whether > the subtree rooted at that point should be included in the search > results. I've seen the section in the manual 'using the property > API'; perhaps what I'm talking about is an extension to that API. If > all users had to do were provide a predicate function include- > subtree-in-sparse-tree, and org-mode deals with the tree traversal, > producing the formatted output, etc, then perhaps it wouldn't be > that hard for a user to implement something new like the > > operators? Perhaps. Having said all that, of course I do appreciate > the nice intuitive syntax for performing tag/property searches. I > was just wondering about a general way of making it easy for users > to extend the search functionality, and perhaps reduce the burden on > the main developer of responding to requests like my q1. > > Dan > > > _______________________________________________ > Emacs-orgmode mailing list > Remember: use `Reply All' to send replies to the list. > Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org > http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode