* skip-entry-if category
@ 2009-08-22  3:29 Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2009-08-22  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I am experimenting with different custom agenda views, and this area is,
as always, excellently documented, thank you all!

However, there is one thing I am not able to figure out:

Using skipping, it is easy to limit my daily agenda to certain tags like:
(org-agenda-skip-function '(org-agenda-skip-entry-if 'notregexp ":STUDIUM:"))))

Is it possible to do the same with Categories?
I think there must be a way, but all my attempts did not work :(.

Have a nice day ;)!

Memnon

* Re: skip-entry-if category
@ 2009-08-22 13:47 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2009-08-22 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Memnon Anon; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Memnon

Memnon Anon wrote:
> However, there is one thing I am not able to figure out:
>
> Using skipping, it is easy to limit my daily agenda to certain tags like:
> (org-agenda-skip-function '(org-agenda-skip-entry-if 'notregexp ":STUDIUM:"))))
>
> Is it possible to do the same with Categories?
> I think there must be a way, but all my attempts did not work :(.

I believe this is not possible with the built in org agenda skip
functions, since they search only the text within the subtree and do
not recognize inherited tags and properties.

However, I suspect that one could build a skip function using
org-entry-properties that would accomplish this goal.

Best,
Matt

* Re: Re: skip-entry-if category
@ 2009-08-23 10:41   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-23 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: Memnon Anon, emacs-orgmode

On Aug 22, 2009, at 2:47 PM, Matt Lundin wrote:

> Hi Memnon
>
> Memnon Anon wrote:
>> However, there is one thing I am not able to figure out:
>>
>> Using skipping, it is easy to limit my daily agenda to certain tags
>> like:
>> (org-agenda-skip-function '(org-agenda-skip-entry-if 'notregexp
>> ":STUDIUM:"))))
>>
>> Is it possible to do the same with Categories?
>> I think there must be a way, but all my attempts did not work :(.
>
> I believe this is not possible with the built in org agenda skip
> functions, since they search only the text within the subtree and do
> not recognize inherited tags and properties.
>
> However, I suspect that one could build a skip function using
> org-entry-properties that would accomplish this goal.

Much faster in this special case will be to use `org-get-category'
instead of accessing all properties of the entry with
org-entry-properties.

- Carsten

* Re: skip-entry-if category
@ 2009-08-23 22:52     ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2009-08-23 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On Aug 22, 2009, at 2:47 PM, Matt Lundin wrote:
>> I believe this is not possible with the built in org agenda skip
>> functions, since they search only the text within the subtree and do
>> not recognize inherited tags and properties.
>>
>> However, I suspect that one could build a skip function using
>> org-entry-properties that would accomplish this goal.
>
> Much faster in this special case will be to use `org-get-category'
> instead of accessing all properties of the entry with
> org-entry-properties.

I think I will just start adding tags to each item.
Thanks for all the answers!

Memnon

* Re: Re: skip-entry-if category
@ 2009-11-02 14:14     ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2009-11-02 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik (carsten.dominik@gmail.com) wrote:
> On Aug 22, 2009, at 2:47 PM, Matt Lundin wrote:
> >Hi Memnon
> >
> >Memnon Anon wrote:
> >>However, there is one thing I am not able to figure out:
> >>
> >>Using skipping, it is easy to limit my daily agenda to certain
> >>tags like:
> >>(org-agenda-skip-function '(org-agenda-skip-entry-if 'notregexp
> >>":STUDIUM:"))))
> >>
> >>Is it possible to do the same with Categories?
> >>I think there must be a way, but all my attempts did not work :(.
> >
> >I believe this is not possible with the built in org agenda skip
> >functions, since they search only the text within the subtree and do
> >not recognize inherited tags and properties.
> >
> >However, I suspect that one could build a skip function using
> >org-entry-properties that would accomplish this goal.
>
> Much faster in this special case will be to use `org-get-category'
> instead of accessing all properties of the entry with
> org-entry-properties.

I wrote the following to accomplish this, but it would be much nicer
if you could use (org-agenda-skip-entry-if 'category "mycategory").

(defun org-agenda-skip-select-category-function (category-to-select)
  "Creates a function suitable for use with
`org-agenda-skip-function' which skips all items except for those
in the provided category."
  `(lambda ()
    (if (equal (org-get-category) ,category-to-select)
        nil ;; don't skip
      ;; The invisible-ok param below seems to be needed
      ;; in order to avoid infinite loops:
      (org-end-of-subtree t))))