* Tables in ASCII export
@ 2010-02-06 19:15 Michael Gauland
From: Michael Gauland @ 2010-02-06 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

When I export tables to ASCII, I'd like the rows to expand as necessary so the
full contents is visible. I've has a look at org-exp.el, but I'm at a bit of a
loss as to where to start mucking in. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

* Re: Tables in ASCII export
@ 2010-02-10 15:49 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-02-10 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Gauland; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 6, 2010, at 8:15 PM, Michael Gauland wrote:

> When I export tables to ASCII, I'd like the rows to expand as
> necessary so the
> full contents is visible. I've has a look at org-exp.el, but I'm at
> a bit of a
> loss as to where to start mucking in. Any pointers would be greatly
> appreciated!

Hi Michael,

right now I only have a dirty trick, and even that is untested.... :-(

(add-hook 'org-export-preprocess-hook
	  (lambda ()
	    (let (org-format-transports-properties-p)
	      (org-table-map-tables 'org-table-align))))

I will make a varaible for this, I think it would be useful to have,
or even should be the default for ASCII export.....

- Carsten

* Re: Tables in ASCII export
@ 2010-02-12 17:49 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-02-12 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Gauland; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Michael,

this behavior is now the default, controlled by the new user option
`org-export-ascii-table-widen-columns'.

Hope this helps.

- Carsten

On Feb 6, 2010, at 8:15 PM, Michael Gauland wrote:

> When I export tables to ASCII, I'd like the rows to expand as
> necessary so the
> full contents is visible. I've has a look at org-exp.el, but I'm at
> a bit of a
> loss as to where to start mucking in. Any pointers would be greatly
> appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

- Carsten

* Re: Tables in ASCII export
@ 2010-02-19 18:54   ` Michael Gauland
From: Michael Gauland @ 2010-02-19 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: carsten.dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

carsten.dominik> this behavior is now the default, controlled by the new user option
carsten.dominik> `org-export-ascii-table-widen-columns'.

Thanks. That's a start, but what I really want is to have long cells folded, so
that one table row might become several lines in the ASCII export. For example,
if my table looks like this in org:

    | / | <10R> | <20>                 |
    |   |     1 | The quick brown fo=> |
    |   |     2 | Now is the time for  |

I want my ASCII export to look like this:

      1   The quick brown fox
          jumped over the lazy
          dogs.
      2   Now is the time for
          all good me to come
          to the aid of the
          party.

I've started looking at org-table-align to get a feel for how org deals with
tables, but I'm still trying to puzzle out where this folding should be done.
Any advice on that?

Thanks,
Mike

* Re: Tables in ASCII export
@ 2010-02-20 19:42     ` Carsten Dominik
       [not found]       ` <20100223.125600.266023597.mikelygee@gmail.com>
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-02-20 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Gauland; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 19, 2010, at 7:54 PM, Michael Gauland wrote:

> carsten.dominik> this behavior is now the default, controlled by the
> new user option
> carsten.dominik> `org-export-ascii-table-widen-columns'.
>
> Thanks. That's a start, but what I really want is to have long cells
> folded, so
> that one table row might become several lines in the ASCII export.
> For example,
> if my table looks like this in org:
>
>    | / | <10R> | <20>                 |
>    |   |     1 | The quick brown fo=> |
>    |   |     2 | Now is the time for  |
>

> I want my ASCII export to look like this:
>
>      1   The quick brown fox
>          jumped over the lazy
>          dogs.
>      2   Now is the time for
>          all good me to come
>          to the aid of the
>          party.

No, this is not possible.

For multi-line fields, please check out table.el, which makes such
tables.  And Org does export them correctly.

- Carsten

> I've started looking at org-table-align to get a feel for how org
> deals with
> tables, but I'm still trying to puzzle out where this folding should
> be done.
> Any advice on that?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

- Carsten

* table.el support restored
       [not found]       ` <20100223.125600.266023597.mikelygee@gmail.com>
@ 2010-02-26 21:39         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-02-26 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Gauland; +Cc: Org Mode, srinivas

Hi everyone,

a few recent threads alerted me to the fact that the support for
table.el tables was totally broken in recent versions of Org-mode.
While I don't use this, I think it is a very nice feature to have.

Support for table.el tables is now restored, with the following
important changes.

1. You cannot edit these tables in the buffer, you must
    use C-c ' (the same command that also edit source code snippets)

2. LaTeX export apparently never did support these tables.  Now it does,
    including #+CAPTION, #+LABEL, and some ATTL_LaTeX settings (e.g.
align)

I hope this proves to be useful.

- Carsten

On Feb 23, 2010, at 12:56 AM, Michael Gauland wrote:

> From: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
>> For multi-line fields, please check out table.el, which makes such
>> tables.  And
>> Org does export them correctly.
>>
>> - Carsten
>
> I've had a play with table.el tables, and the ASCII export is fine,
> but HTML and
> LaTeX are not. HTML produces a sequence of "ndash" and "mdash", with
> no sign of
> the text within the table cells. The LaTeX export does include the
> table
> contents, but also the "-" and "+" characters separating the cells.
> Is there
> some configuration or setting I need to change for this to work?
>
> Thanks again for your help,
> Mike

- Carsten