* revert all agenda buffers
@ 2009-02-10 12:21 David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2009-02-10 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Org-wizards;

I am using git to to sync my org files between various hosts. The
problem is that when I update the files on disk (i.e. with a git pull)
then I have to manually revert each current org buffer (or, restart
emacs, like that is going to happen :-) ).  It would be nice if there
was an analog of org-save-all-org-buffers that reverted them all for
me. Am I missing an existing solution?

* Re: revert all agenda buffers
@ 2009-02-10 19:24 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-10 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 10, 2009, at 1:21 PM, David Bremner wrote:

> Hi Org-wizards;
>
> I am using git to to sync my org files between various hosts. The
> problem is that when I update the files on disk (i.e. with a git pull)
> then I have to manually revert each current org buffer (or, restart
> emacs, like that is going to happen :-) ).  It would be nice if there
> was an analog of org-save-all-org-buffers that reverted them all for
> me. Am I missing an existing solution?

6.22b has now `org-revert-all-org-buffers'.  I consider this command
slightly dangerous, so you have to confirm with "yes".

- Carsten

* Re: revert all agenda buffers
@ 2009-02-10 19:49   ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-02-10 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 12:54 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2009, at 1:21 PM, David Bremner wrote:
>

>> Hi Org-wizards;
>>
>> I am using git to to sync my org files between various hosts. The
>> problem is that when I update the files on disk (i.e. with a git pull)
>> then I have to manually revert each current org buffer (or, restart
>> emacs, like that is going to happen :-) ). It would be nice if there
>> was an analog of org-save-all-org-buffers that reverted them all for
>> me. Am I missing an existing solution?
>
> 6.22b has now `org-revert-all-org-buffers'. I consider this command
> slightly dangerous, so you have to confirm with "yes".

Org mode is my default mode and many buffers not necessarily part of agenda
are open almost all the time.  Will this command revert *all* Org buffers or
only the ones part of org-agenda-files?

--
Manish

* Re: revert all agenda buffers
@ 2009-02-10 19:51     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-10 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 10, 2009, at 8:49 PM, Manish wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 12:54 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 10, 2009, at 1:21 PM, David Bremner wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Org-wizards;
>>>
>>> I am using git to to sync my org files between various hosts. The
>>> problem is that when I update the files on disk (i.e. with a git
>>> pull)
>>> then I have to manually revert each current org buffer (or, restart
>>> emacs, like that is going to happen :-) ). It would be nice if there
>>> was an analog of org-save-all-org-buffers that reverted them all for
>>> me. Am I missing an existing solution?
>>
>> 6.22b has now `org-revert-all-org-buffers'. I consider this command
>> slightly dangerous, so you have to confirm with "yes".
>
> Org mode is my default mode and many buffers not necessarily part of
> agenda
> are open almost all the time.  Will this command revert *all* Org
> buffers or
> only the ones part of org-agenda-files?

All of them.

- Carsten

* Re: revert all agenda buffers
@ 2009-02-10 20:00       ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-02-10 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 1:21 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2009, at 8:49 PM, Manish wrote:

>>> 6.22b has now `org-revert-all-org-buffers'. I consider this command
>>> slightly dangerous, so you have to confirm with "yes".
>>
>> Org mode is my default mode and many buffers not necessarily part of
>> agenda
>> are open almost all the time. Will this command revert *all* Org buffers
>> or
>> only the ones part of org-agenda-files?
>
> All of them.

I take it that it has to.  So far I haven't yet run into David's situation so
I guess I am fine for the moment.  But if I need to then I guess I will need
to remember to save (from agenda view, so that all Org buffers are saved)
before executing the git pull and revert command?

--
Manish

* Re: revert all agenda buffers
@ 2009-02-10 22:37         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-10 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 10, 2009, at 9:00 PM, Manish wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 1:21 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

>>> Org mode is my default mode and many buffers not necessarily part of
>>> agenda
>>> are open almost all the time. Will this command revert *all* Org
>>> buffers
>>> or
>>> only the ones part of org-agenda-files?
>>
>> All of them.
>
> I take it that it has to.  So far I haven't yet run into David's
> situation so
> I guess I am fine for the moment.  But if I need to then I guess I
> will need
> to remember to save (from agenda view, so that all Org buffers are
> saved)
> before executing the git pull and revert command?

Yes.  The right way would be

1. save all org buffer

2. pull to get the merging right

3. revert the buffers.