* Moving headlines and content.
@ 2009-04-07 12:38 Deric Bytes
From: Deric Bytes @ 2009-04-07 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is there a way to MOVE multiple headlines, along with their content,
that match a search to a new file.

C-c a m +orgmode+howto       moved to file      ~/notes/org/howto-090704.org
C-c a m +orgmode+diary           moved to file    ~/notes/org/diary-090704.org

* Re: Moving headlines and content.
@ 2009-04-07 20:28 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-04-07 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deric Bytes; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Not that I know of.

It might be possible, however, to (1) make a command that tags each
entry with :MARK: (similar to marking in dired -- you don't need this,
but would add completeness) (2) make a command that tags /matching/
items (you need this) and (3) make a command that moves all marked
entries (using org-refile).

Thus, it could be a generic marking mechanism like dired, and it could
work for the outline in addition to the agenda.

Not that that helps you :).

--
Myalgic encephalomyelitis denialism is causing death and severe
suffering, worse than multiple sclerosis.  It is corrupting science in

* Re: Moving headlines and content.
@ 2009-04-08 15:49 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-08 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deric Bytes; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Deric,

no, we do not have something like this.

however, this ie Emacs.  So you can use keyboard macros:

- Do your search
- in the agenda, start a keyboard macro with `C-x ('
- Use TAB to go to the entry
- Refile it with `C-c C-w'
- `C-x C-o' to go back to the agenda window
- DOWNARROW to reach the next row
- `C-x )' to end the macro

The press `C-x e' to execute the keyboard macro for additional lines.

I sort-of like the ide to refile entries by the bunch
from the agenda, though.  I'll put it on my TODO list.  However, that
list
is full with more urgent stuff.....

- Carsten

@ 2009-04-08 17:52   ` Paul Holcomb
From: Paul Holcomb @ 2009-04-08 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Deric Bytes, emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 01:28:24PM -0700, Samuel Wales wrote:
> Not that I know of.
>
> It might be possible, however, to (1) make a command that tags each
> entry with :MARK: (similar to marking in dired -- you don't need this,
> but would add completeness) (2) make a command that tags /matching/
> items (you need this) and (3) make a command that moves all marked
> entries (using org-refile).
>
> Thus, it could be a generic marking mechanism like dired, and it could
> work for the outline in addition to the agenda.
>
> Not that that helps you :).

 Both of these would be killer features IMHO.  This type of UI in mutt
 (tagging messages) is great for dealing with large amounts of items.

 I tried to figure out the best way to do this a couple months ago,
 but it was a little over my head for my level of elisp proficiency.
 Ideally, I wanted to show all of the data about to be moved in a
 separate frame, as there is totally the possibility of destroying a
 large amount of data in this way.

--
Paul Holcomb                               *pholcomb    \@      cpoint  net*
GPG key fingerprint          2B62 05AE EE74 845A 705F  D716 28C4 FE1C 088F CFAC

* Re: Moving headlines and content.
@ 2009-06-25  7:13     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-06-25  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pholcomb; +Cc: Deric Bytes, emacs-orgmode

On Apr 8, 2009, at 7:52 PM, Paul Holcomb wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 01:28:24PM -0700, Samuel Wales wrote:
>> Not that I know of.
>>
>> It might be possible, however, to (1) make a command that tags each
>> entry with :MARK: (similar to marking in dired -- you don't need
>> this,
>> but would add completeness) (2) make a command that tags /matching/
>> items (you need this) and (3) make a command that moves all marked
>> entries (using org-refile).
>>
>> Thus, it could be a generic marking mechanism like dired, and it
>> could
>> work for the outline in addition to the agenda.
>>
>> Not that that helps you :).
>
> Both of these would be killer features IMHO.  This type of UI in mutt
> (tagging messages) is great for dealing with large amounts of items.
>
> I tried to figure out the best way to do this a couple months ago,
> but it was a little over my head for my level of elisp proficiency.
> Ideally, I wanted to show all of the data about to be moved in a
> separate frame, as there is totally the possibility of destroying a
> large amount of data in this way.

Bulk action is now implemented in the agenda (org-mode 6.28,
jeleased a few minutes ago).  I don't think we need it in the
outline - if you go through to mark many entries with a tag
or so, you can then use an agenda search to find the marked
entries and execute the bulk action from the agenda.

- Carsten

* Re: Moving headlines and content.
@ 2009-06-25 13:48       ` Paul Holcomb
From: Paul Holcomb @ 2009-06-25 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Deric Bytes, emacs-orgmode, pholcomb

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 09:13:01AM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> Bulk action is now implemented in the agenda (org-mode 6.28,
> jeleased a few minutes ago).  I don't think we need it in the
> outline - if you go through to mark many entries with a tag
> or so, you can then use an agenda search to find the marked
> entries and execute the bulk action from the agenda.

 Awesome.  Thanks for all the work here.