From: "Berry, Charles" <ccberry@health.ucsd.edu>
To: "Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.online>
Cc: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net>,
	Evgenii Klimov <eugene.dev@lipklim.org>,
	"emacs-orgmode@gnu.org" <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: [Pre-PATCH v2] Add the capability to specify lexical scope in tangled files (was: Add new :lexical header argument)
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 19:33:12 +0000	[thread overview]

> On Jul 15, 2023, at 9:11 AM, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.online> wrote:
>

> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> writes:

>>> Yes, I believe so.  Language-specific header arguments for many languages are documented at https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/index.html. Several languages are not documented there; in these cases the documentation is typically in the source code.
>>
>> It is actually slightly awkward that built-in babel backends are not
>> documented in the manual, while, for example, export backends are.
>>
> Agreed, but the two differ.  With export, the goal is to produce code recognized as correct by the target software.  With babel, the general goal is to provide language agnostic literate programming, which often produces something that meets standards of correctness not implemented in software.  The idea of built-in babel backends, as distinct from contributed backends, or backends distributed by package archive is a function of maintenance burden and distribution channel, rather than something intrinsic to the backend itself and how it contributes to literate programming.
>> However, unless my memory deceives me, Bastien or Nicolas previously
>> voiced against adding babel documentation. Though I cannot find the
>> relevant discussion now and cannot recall the arguments (if there was
>> such discussion at all).
>
> IIRC, there wasn't much discussion.   The current situation doesn't seem ripe for documentation in the manual.

Agreed. Maybe it would suffice to use enhanced docstrings for the org-babel-execute:<lang> functions and point to them in the manual.

The params argument could list the language specific keys and the language specific handling of key common to all languages (e.g. `:results graphics' in R jumps through a number of hoops that might deserve mention)

Chuck