On 24.9.2013, at 18:17, Sebastien Vauban wrote: > Hello Carsten, > > Carsten Dominik wrote: >> On 23.9.2013, at 09:40, Rainer M Krug wrote: >>> >>> When starting to edit a code block via C-c ' everything works as expected >>> and the code block is highlighted and an indirect buffer is opened. >>> >>> When I click into the highlighted block, I an "send" to the indirect buffer. >>> This behavior changes, after saving with C-s, even when nothing has been >>> edited: the area in the original org file looses its magic, and looks normal >>> again and can also be edited! >>> >>> The indirect buffer stays functional and, upon close via C-c ' saves the >>> changes into the original buffer and *overwrites* changes done in this block >>> in the org document. >> >> This is a bug which is difficult to fix in all generality. What should really >> happen is that the text in the original buffer is made read-only. But so far >> this does not happen in our implementation (due to Dan Davison IIRC). The >> reason for this is that read-only text properties left by accident in a >> buffer are difficult to get rid of. >> >> There are many things the user could go back and screw up the original. >> That's why Org choses to protect with highlighting with an overlay. Note that >> this is not a protection against editing, but it is a visual warning. > > I never knew that "your" goal was to make the code block read-only in the Org > buffer. Note that I would be really opposed to such a change. Editing code in > the prose would really become a pain to me -- please know that I NEVER use the > indirect buffer. Hi Sebastian, I only mean while there is a special buffer also editing this block! - Carsten > > I hope that we will block such a functionality, would the read-only feature > become possible. > >> However, what happens during saving is indeed a problem - the overlay gets >> lost (not really, it gets squeezed to zero by first removing the source code >> and then inserting the modified version). >> >> Could you please try this patch and test it to see if it is stable and does >> the right thing? > > Best regards, > Seb > > -- > Sebastien Vauban > >