* More conspicous header lines
@ 2009-07-22 18:27 User
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: User @ 2009-07-22 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Please consider adding this change to org mode:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OrgMode#toc11

It makes it possible to show headers as full lines to separate the
different sections better. It's only effective if the user set a
background color to the org header line face.

Here's a demo of how it looks in practice:

http://img19.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=86735_Clipboard01_122_582lo.jpg

* Re: More conspicous header lines
@ 2009-07-22 18:35 ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2009-07-22 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I like! I may go change my faces to give it a whirl.

@ 2009-07-22 22:02   ` Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2009-07-22 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Russell Adams wrote:
> I like! I may go change my faces to give it a whirl.
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 06:27:00PM +0000, User wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Please consider adding this change to org mode:
>>
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OrgMode#toc11
>>

>> It makes it possible to show headers as full lines to separate the
>> different sections better. It's only effective if the user set a
>> background color to the org header line face.
>>
>> Here's a demo of how it looks in practice:
>>
>> http://img19.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=86735_Clipboard01_122_582lo.jpg

Hello,

how would I go about setting a background color to my org headline
faces?  I'm an emacs/org newbie ...

Thanks
Markus

@ 2009-07-22 22:11 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-07-22 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: User; +Cc: Lennart Borgman, emacs-orgmode

User <spamfilteraccount@gmail.com > writes:

> Please consider adding this change to org mode:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OrgMode#toc11

Funny that you mention this because Lennart just told me about this
tip and I was about to ask Orgers.

> http://img19.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=86735_Clipboard01_122_582lo.jpg

Please people vote.  It's a tiny change but since we all have different
preferences for such things, it's good to have a sense of what everyone
thinks...

--
 Bastien

* Re: Re: More conspicous header lines
@ 2009-07-22 22:12     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-07-22 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:

> how would I go about setting a background color to my org headline
> faces?  I'm an emacs/org newbie ...

Go on a headline and M-x customize-face RET - then you can customize
the background color of this face.

--
 Bastien

* Re: More conspicous header lines
@ 2009-07-22 22:48       ` Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2009-07-22 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

THankBastien wrote:
> Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> how would I go about setting a background color to my org headline
>> faces?  I'm an emacs/org newbie ...
>
> Go on a headline and M-x customize-face RET - then you can customize
> the background color of this face.

Thanks. And where do I find ‘org-set-font-lock-defaults’?  It's not in
my .emacs, and M-x customize-variable <Ret> doesn't know it either ...

I apologize if I'm asking stupid questions here ...

Thanks
Markus

* Re: Re: More conspicous header lines
@ 2009-07-23  7:31         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-07-23  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:

> THankBastien wrote:
>> Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> how would I go about setting a background color to my org headline
>>> faces?  I'm an emacs/org newbie ...
>>
>> Go on a headline and M-x customize-face RET - then you can customize
>> the background color of this face.
>>

> Thanks. And where do I find ‘org-set-font-lock-defaults’?  It's not in
> my .emacs, and M-x customize-variable <Ret> doesn't know it either ...

It's in org.el

C-h f org-set-font-lock-defaults RET will give you the location of the
function, you can just follow the link in the help buffer.

> I apologize if I'm asking stupid questions here ...

  "If you ask questions, you might look stupid.  But if you don't ask
   questions, you'll stupid forever."

          -- I-can't-remember-who

--
 Bastien

* Re: More conspicous header lines
@ 2009-07-23  8:12   ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2009-07-23  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien schrieb:
> User <spamfilteraccount@gmail.com > writes:
>
>> Please consider adding this change to org mode:
>>
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OrgMode#toc11
>
> Funny that you mention this because Lennart just told me about this
> tip and I was about to ask Orgers.
>
>> http://img19.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=86735_Clipboard01_122_582lo.jpg
>
> Please people vote.  It's a tiny change but since we all have different
> preferences for such things, it's good to have a sense of what everyone
> thinks...

Looks good.
My "+" vote then.

Rainer

* Re: Re: More conspicous header lines
@ 2009-07-23  8:36     ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2009-07-23  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@diplan.de> writes:

>> Please people vote.  It's a tiny change but since we all have
>> different preferences for such things, it's good to have a sense of
>> what everyone thinks...
>>
> Looks good.
> My "+" vote then.

Agreed. A "+" vote for me too.

Charles

--
Your job is being a professor and researcher: That's one hell of a good excuse
for some of the brain-damages of minix.

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 196 bytes --]

* Re: More conspicous header lines
@ 2009-07-23  8:36   ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-07-23  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bastienguerry@googlemail.com> writes:

> Please people vote.  It's a tiny change but since we all have different
> preferences for such things, it's good to have a sense of what everyone
> thinks...

What are we voting for, to make this *possible* or *default*?

Paul

* Re: Re: More conspicous header lines
@ 2009-07-23  8:43     ` Bastien
                         ` (5 more replies)
From: Bastien @ 2009-07-23  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Mead; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Paul Mead <paul.d.mead@gmail.com> writes:

> Bastien <bastienguerry@googlemail.com> writes:
>

>> Please people vote.  It's a tiny change but since we all have different
>> preferences for such things, it's good to have a sense of what everyone
>> thinks...
>
> What are we voting for, to make this *possible* or *default*?

Default.

--
 Bastien

* Re: More conspicous header lines
@ 2009-07-23  9:01       ` Paul Mead
                         ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-07-23  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bastienguerry@googlemail.com> writes:

> Paul Mead <paul.d.mead@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Bastien <bastienguerry@googlemail.com> writes:
>>

>>> Please people vote.  It's a tiny change but since we all have different
>>> preferences for such things, it's good to have a sense of what everyone
>>> thinks...
>>
>> What are we voting for, to make this *possible* or *default*?
>
> Default.

OK, I don't personally like the look of it, so I'd probably turn it off,
so assuming that's an option, why not?

* Re: Re: More conspicous header lines
@ 2009-07-23  9:04       ` Bastien
                         ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Bastien @ 2009-07-23  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bastienguerry@googlemail.com> writes:

> Paul Mead <paul.d.mead@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Bastien <bastienguerry@googlemail.com> writes:
>>

>>> Please people vote.  It's a tiny change but since we all have different
>>> preferences for such things, it's good to have a sense of what everyone
>>> thinks...
>>
>> What are we voting for, to make this *possible* or *default*?
>
> Default.

FWIW: my reticence to make this the default is that for some function
(e.g. org-agenda-set-restriction-lock) Org highlights headings and in
these cases, Org only highlights to the end of the heading, not to the
end of the entire line.

These kind of functions highlight the headings *temporarily* so I think
it's okay to permanently highlight the entire line when org-level-* has
a background value...  but maybe it somehow breaks visual consistency,
I'm not sure.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Re: More conspicous header lines
@ 2009-07-23  9:56       ` Giovanni Ridolfi
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2009-07-23  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Mead, Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

--- Gio 23/7/09, Bastien <bastienguerry@googlemail.com> ha scritto:
> Paul Mead <paul.d.mead@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Bastien <bastienguerry@googlemail.com>
> writes:
> >

> >> Please people vote.  It's a tiny change but
> >> since we all have different
> >> preferences for such things, it's good to have a
> >> sense of what everyone thinks...
> >
> > What are we voting for, to make this *possible* or
> *default*?
>
> Default.

No. (-)  ?-)

Cheers,
Giovanni

* Re: More conspicous header lines
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-07-23 10:20       ` User
From: User @ 2009-07-23 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bastienguerry <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> > What are we voting for, to make this *possible* or *default*?
>
> Default.

This may mislead some people. Adding this fix wouldn't change how
headers look by default. It would only make it possible to draw
header lines across the screen *if* the user sets a background
color for the header which is not usually the case, so it
wouldn't affect the average user if he doesn't want it.

Anyway, if we want to be super cautious then I recommend an
option for controlling this. If the option is set then the \xa is
added to the header regexp, otherwise not.

* Re: Re: More conspicous header lines
@ 2009-07-23 11:36         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-07-23 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: User; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

User <spamfilteraccount@gmail.com> writes:

> Bastien <bastienguerry <at> googlemail.com> writes:
>

>> > What are we voting for, to make this *possible* or *default*?
>>
>> Default.
>

> This may mislead some people. Adding this fix wouldn't change how
> headers look by default. It would only make it possible to draw
> header lines across the screen *if* the user sets a background
> color for the header which is not usually the case, so it
> wouldn't affect the average user if he doesn't want it.

Yes, thanks for precising this.

> Anyway, if we want to be super cautious then I recommend an
> option for controlling this. If the option is set then the \xa is
> added to the header regexp, otherwise not.

I think I will take this road, yes.

--
 Bastien

* Re: More conspicous header lines
                         ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-07-23 12:19       ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-07-23 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Paul Mead

Bastien <bastienguerry@googlemail.com> writes:

> Paul Mead <paul.d.mead@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Bastien <bastienguerry@googlemail.com> writes:
>>

>>> Please people vote.  It's a tiny change but since we all have different
>>> preferences for such things, it's good to have a sense of what everyone
>>> thinks...
>>
>> What are we voting for, to make this *possible* or *default*?
>
> Default.

-1 for default.

I wouldn't mind if this becomes an option though.

- Matt

* Re: Re: More conspicous header lines
                         ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-07-23 13:56       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-07-23 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Paul Mead

Bastien <bastienguerry@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Paul Mead <paul.d.mead@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Bastien <bastienguerry@googlemail.com> writes:
> >

> >> Please people vote.  It's a tiny change but since we all have different
> >> preferences for such things, it's good to have a sense of what everyone
> >> thinks...
> >
> > What are we voting for, to make this *possible* or *default*?
>
> Default.

IIUC, the suggestion is to change the headlines regexp in
org-set-font-lock-defaults, but you are *not* suggesting that the face
definitions be changed to have a background color - is that correct? If
that's the case, I see little, if any, harm in the change (although,
like Paul Mead, I don't think I'm going to use the feature: I find it
obnoxiously loud.)

The point is that the above is an opt-in system: the regexp enables the
look, but nothing happens until the end-user customizes the face.

If you *are* suggesting changing the faces as well as the regexp, it
becomes an opt-out system, and I for one would object.

Thanks,
Nick

* Re: Re: More conspicous header lines
@ 2009-07-23 14:04         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-07-23 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Paul Mead

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> IIUC, the suggestion is to change the headlines regexp in
> org-set-font-lock-defaults, but you are *not* suggesting that the face
> definitions be changed to have a background color - is that correct?

Correct.

> If that's the case, I see little, if any, harm in the change
> (although, like Paul Mead, I don't think I'm going to use the feature:
> I find it obnoxiously loud.)

I will create an option for this, the default will be to behave as Org
currently behaves.

--

@ 2009-07-23 14:51         ` Daniel Goldin
From: Daniel Goldin @ 2009-07-23 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I'm a non-programmer type trying to figure this out too. I looked into customize faces and font-lock in org group and couldn't find anything. Anybody?

d.

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009, Markus Heller wrote:

> THankBastien wrote:
>> Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
>>

> Thanks. And where do I find ‘org-set-font-lock-defaults’?  It's not in
> my .emacs, and M-x customize-variable <Ret> doesn't know it either ...
>
> I apologize if I'm asking stupid questions here ...
>
> Thanks
> Markus

Daniel Goldin
213.026.1960

* Re: Re: More conspicous header lines
@ 2009-07-23 14:57           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-07-23 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Daniel,

Daniel Goldin <danielgoldin@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm a non-programmer type trying to figure this out too. I looked into
> customize faces and font-lock in org group and couldn't find
> anything. Anybody?

What are you trying to do exactly?

--
 Bastien

* Re: More conspicous header lines
@ 2009-07-23 16:29           ` Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2009-07-23 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien wrote:
> Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> THankBastien wrote:

>>> Go on a headline and M-x customize-face RET - then you can customize
>>> the background color of this face.
>>>
>> Thanks. And where do I find ‘org-set-font-lock-defaults’?  It's not in
>> my .emacs, and M-x customize-variable <Ret> doesn't know it either ...
>
> It's in org.el
>
> C-h f org-set-font-lock-defaults RET will give you the location of the
> function, you can just follow the link in the help buffer.
>
>> I apologize if I'm asking stupid questions here ...
>
>   "If you ask questions, you might look stupid.  But if you don't ask
>    questions, you'll stupid forever."
>
>           -- I-can't-remember-who

Bastien,

thanks you!  Worked like a charm :)

Cheers
Markus

* Re: More conspicous header lines
@ 2009-07-23 16:54 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-07-23 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: User, Lennart Borgman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

User <spamfilteraccount@gmail.com > writes:

> Please consider adding this change to org mode:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OrgMode#toc11

So I have implemented this.

There is now the option `org-fontify-whole-heading-line'.
When t, headlines will be fontified till the end of the lines.

This option defaults to nil.

Thanks Lennart and User (?) for bringing this up!

--
 Bastien