* Re: Not not using GTD
       [not found] <b6c377310708280221j3fe382f4i792a40101fd9acb0@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2007-08-29 17:28 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-08-29 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitri Minaev; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Aug 28, 2007, at 11:21, Dmitri Minaev wrote:

> In the last year, I tried a couple of times to adopt the GTD planning
> style. Until now, I was not successful, mainly due to my own inability
> to keep the records up to date. Two weeks ago I gave another try and,
> as before, I felt the initial relief that comes with getting rid of
> the necessity to keep everything in mind. My org-mode setup is very
> close to what Carsten described in Another GTD Question thread [1]:
> tags for contexts, todo keywords for task state, outlines for pretty
> everything else. Scheduling and deadlines make the standard agenda
> view an amazing tool. Someday/Maybe lists simply have no todo state. I
> have yet to explore the ways of dealing with projects.
>
> There are, however, some things I might want to do, but either don't
> know how or still not sure if I should.
>
> * WAITING states in agenda
>   I really love the standard agenda view, but the list of currently
>   open todo items includes all unfinished entries, including waiting
>   tasks. To exclude them, I can define a custom agenda, but I would
>   prefer to customize the standard view, though, to replace the huge
>   "open todo items" list with a slightly more compact list of selected
>   todo-states. Is there a way to do so?
>
>   How do you prefer to see your waiting items -- in the same list with
>   other todos or in a separate list?

You can exclude selected stuff from any agenda view using
`org-agenda-skip-function'

For example (in a customize buffer) for org-agenda-custom-commands:

Org Agenda Custom Commands: [Hide Value]
[INS] [DEL] Choice: [Value Menu] Single command:
             Key: a
             Choice: [Value Menu] Agenda
             Match:
             Local options:
             [INS] [DEL] List:
                         Option: org-agenda-skip-function
                         Value: '(org-agenda-skip-entry-if 'regexp
"\\*+[     ]+WAITING")
             [INS] [DEL] List:
                         Option: org-agenda-overriding-header
                         Value: "Agenda without the WAITING entries"
             [INS]
             [ ] Export:
                 [INS]
[INS]

> * Inherited tags in agenda
>
>   The inherited tags are not shown in the agenda. It would be OK if I
>   were careful enough to tag all new entries. Now, as soon as I see an
>   untagged item in the agenda, I am tempted to check if it belongs to
>   a tagged upper level or I have simply forgotten to tag it. Is it
>   possible to show the inherited tags in the agenda?

Not currently.  The "T" key shows the tags in the echo area, though.

- Carsten

--
Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam

only message in thread, other threads:[~2007-08-29 17:28 UTC | newest]