* PATCH: include in-progress/started todos into daily agenda
@ 2007-09-26 20:50 Max Mikhanosha
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Max Mikhanosha @ 2007-09-26 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I had always used the day/weekly/mothly agenda vs the searchable
agenda separately and sometimes missed things because they were in one
list but not another.  For example when looking into a tags based
agenda for :computer, I may have missed some other item that was
scheduled for today but not tagged with computer, and via versa.

The method described in the post titled "Not using GTD" post, where
only the daily agenda is the primary agenda used solves this problem,
but I don't like to schedule/reschedule my items all the time.

So inspired by the "Not using GTD" post, proposed patch allows
specifying a TODO type that would always be included into daily
agenda on a current day, as if it was scheduled.

So one can just mark items that need to be worked on doing the day as
lets say "INPROGRESS" and they would stay in the daily agenda
alongside/intermixed with the items scheduled for today until you
close them. If you like to postpone the item, you put it as TODO
again, and it would disappear.

Proposed patch is as plain text below, feel free to rewrite/change
as the method I've used may not have been optimal.

Regards,
  Max

diff -rp -x '*.orig' -x '*.elc' -x '*~' org-5.10a.orig/org.el org-5.10a/org.el
*** org-5.10a.orig/org.el	Wed Sep 26 13:33:20 2007
--- org-5.10a/org.el	Wed Sep 26 16:33:52 2007
*************** When nil, only the days which actually h
*** 2323,2328 ****
--- 2323,2342 ----
    :group 'org-agenda-daily/weekly
    :type 'boolean)

+ (defcustom org-agenda-show-inprogress-todos nil
+   "Non-nil means, include the TODO's of the type specified by
+ `org-inprogress-todos' into the daily agenda."
+   :group 'org-agenda-daily/weekly
+   :type 'boolean)
+
+ (defcustom org-inprogress-todos "INPROGRESS"
+   "Specifies TODO type that would be automatically included into
+ the daily agenda when `org-agenda-show-inprogress-todos' is set.
+ You can specify more then one value separating them with |, for
+ example INPROGRESS|STARTED"
+   :group 'org-agenda-daily/weekly
+   :type 'string)
+
  (defcustom org-agenda-format-date 'org-agenda-format-date-aligned
    "Format string for displaying dates in the agenda.
  Used by the daily/weekly agenda and by the timeline.  This should be
*************** NDAYS defaults to `org-agenda-ndays'."
*** 18056,18062 ****
  		    (- sd (+ (if (< d 0) 7 0) d)))))
  	 (day-numbers (list start))
  	 (inhibit-redisplay (not debug-on-error))
! 	 s e rtn rtnall file date d start-pos end-pos todayp nd)
      (setq org-agenda-redo-command
  	  (list 'org-agenda-list (list 'quote include-all) start-day ndays))
      ;; Make the list of days
--- 18070,18077 ----
  		    (- sd (+ (if (< d 0) 7 0) d)))))
  	 (day-numbers (list start))
  	 (inhibit-redisplay (not debug-on-error))
! 	 s e rtn rtnall file date d start-pos end-pos todayp nd
!          args)
      (setq org-agenda-redo-command
  	  (list 'org-agenda-list (list 'quote include-all) start-day ndays))
      ;; Make the list of days
*************** NDAYS defaults to `org-agenda-ndays'."
*** 18102,18117 ****
  	    (setq end-pos (point))))
        (setq files thefiles
  	    rtnall nil)
        (while (setq file (pop files))
  	(catch 'nextfile
  	  (org-check-agenda-file file)
! 	  (if org-agenda-show-log
! 	      (setq rtn (org-agenda-get-day-entries
! 			 file date
! 			 :deadline :scheduled :timestamp :sexp :closed))
! 	    (setq rtn (org-agenda-get-day-entries
! 		       file date
! 		       :deadline :scheduled :sexp :timestamp)))
  	  (setq rtnall (append rtnall rtn))))
        (if org-agenda-include-diary
  	  (progn
--- 18117,18132 ----
  	    (setq end-pos (point))))
        (setq files thefiles
  	    rtnall nil)
+       (setq args '(:deadline :scheduled :timestamp :sexp))
+       (when org-agenda-show-log
+         (push :closed args))
+       (when org-agenda-show-inprogress-todos
+         (push :inprogress args))
        (while (setq file (pop files))
  	(catch 'nextfile
  	  (org-check-agenda-file file)
!           (setq rtn (apply 'org-agenda-get-day-entries
!                            file date args))
  	  (setq rtnall (append rtnall rtn))))
        (if org-agenda-include-diary
  	  (progn
*************** the documentation of `org-diary'."
*** 18606,18611 ****
--- 18621,18632 ----
  	      ;; The way we repeatedly append to `results' makes it O(n^2) :-(
  	      (while (setq arg (pop args))
  		(cond
+ 		 ((and (eq arg :inprogress)
+ 		       (equal date (calendar-current-date)))
+ 		  (let ((org-select-this-todo-keyword
+                          org-inprogress-todos))
+                     (setq rtn (org-agenda-get-todos))
+                     (setq results (append results rtn))))
  		 ((and (eq arg :todo)
  		       (equal date (calendar-current-date)))
  		  (setq rtn (org-agenda-get-todos))

* Re: PATCH: include in-progress/started todos into daily agenda
@ 2007-09-27  1:33 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-27  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Mikhanosha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Max, thanks for this.

Before looking deeper into it:  Have you considered a block agenda as an
alternative?  That will list the TODO matches in a separate list, but
in the *same* agenda buffer.

- Carsten

On Sep 26, 2007, at 22:50, Max Mikhanosha wrote:

> [...]
>   	(catch 'nextfile
>   	  (org-check-agenda-file file)
> !           (setq rtn (apply 'org-agenda-get-day-entries
> !                            file date args))
>   	  (setq rtnall (append rtnall rtn))))
>         (if org-agenda-include-diary
>   	  (progn
> *************** the documentation of `org-diary'."
> *** 18606,18611 ****
> --- 18621,18632 ----
>   	      ;; The way we repeatedly append to `results' makes it O(n^2)
> :-(
>   	      (while (setq arg (pop args))
>   		(cond
> + 		 ((and (eq arg :inprogress)
> + 		       (equal date (calendar-current-date)))
> + 		  (let ((org-select-this-todo-keyword
> +                          org-inprogress-todos))
> +                     (setq rtn (org-agenda-get-todos))
> +                     (setq results (append results rtn))))

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: PATCH: include in-progress/started todos into daily agenda
@ 2007-09-27 14:33 ` Max Mikhanosha
From: Max Mikhanosha @ 2007-09-27 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Responding to my own email, because I accidentally deleted Carsten
response.

Carsten suggested that I check the block agenda functionality to see
if it already does the same thing. The block agenda have the following
little quirks which made me implement my own solution instead:

Example of block agenda:

Day-agenda:
Thursday  27 September 2007
  proj:       Scheduled:  TODO [#C] Some scheduled task

====================
Global list of TODO items of type: INPROGRESS
  proj:       INPROGRESS [#A] Some task that is already in progress

1. Items from the block agenda are a separate block, and not sorted
   together with the items scheduled for the same day. So even if my
   in-progress item is A its shown below the scheduled for this day
   item that is C

2. There are 3 lines of vertical space taken by the empty line at the
   end of the daily agenda, the === separator and the "Global list"
   heading. I usually use emacs from tty, so my screen is 100x30 so 3
   lines is 1/3 of the whole agenda buffer.

Below is how it looks like when in-progress items are treated as if
they were scheduled for today, which is what my patch does.

Day-agenda:
Thursday  27 September 2007
  proj:       INPROGRESS [#A] Some task that is already in progress
  proj:       Scheduled:  TODO [#C] Some scheduled task

Which is much clearer to me.  The in-progress tasks are in the same
list as the tasks scheduled for today, and are sorted together.

Its not problem if my patch is rejected, I have a less invasive
solution for my own needs that does the same thing with a single
defadvice. I have only sent a patch because IMHO ppl were already
discussing the same method of mixing the daily agenda with in-progress
items, but with a "manual" method of managing the in-progress items,
ie re-scheduling them every day until done with them.

At Wed, 26 Sep 2007 16:50:15 -0400, Max Mikhanosha wrote:

> [...]
>         (while (setq file (pop files))
>   	(catch 'nextfile
>   	  (org-check-agenda-file file)
> !           (setq rtn (apply 'org-agenda-get-day-entries
> !                            file date args))
>   	  (setq rtnall (append rtnall rtn))))
>         (if org-agenda-include-diary
>   	  (progn
> *************** the documentation of `org-diary'."
> *** 18606,18611 ****
> --- 18621,18632 ----
>   	      ;; The way we repeatedly append to `results' makes it O(n^2) :-(
>   	      (while (setq arg (pop args))
>   		(cond
> + 		 ((and (eq arg :inprogress)
> + 		       (equal date (calendar-current-date)))
> + 		  (let ((org-select-this-todo-keyword
> +                          org-inprogress-todos))
> +                     (setq rtn (org-agenda-get-todos))
> +                     (setq results (append results rtn))))

* Re: Re: PATCH: include in-progress/started todos into daily agenda
@ 2007-09-27 15:18   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-27 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Mikhanosha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Max,

I can follow your arguments about space used up by the extra headlines,
and I can also see why you'd want the entries mixed.

What I don't understand is this:

If you have an item scheduled, and if you don't mark it DONE, it will be
in the list of scheduled items on every future date until you finally
mark
it done.  It seems to me that this does *automatically* already exactly
what you are aiming for.

What am I missing?

- Carsten

@ 2007-09-27 16:00     ` Max Mikhanosha
From: Max Mikhanosha @ 2007-09-27 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

At Thu, 27 Sep 2007 17:18:12 +0200,
Carsten Dominik wrote:

> What I don't understand is this:
>
> If you have an item scheduled, and if you don't mark it DONE, it
> will be in the list of scheduled items on every future date until
> you finally mark it done.  It seems to me that this does
> *automatically* already exactly what you are aiming for.
>
> What am I missing?

Doh, now that you pointed that out I'm trying to retrace my steps as
to why I do not just leave the items scheduled.

I'm using org mode for around 7 months and initially I was scheduling
a lot of my items, but then scheduled less and less, and only the
items that are short and definitely can be done with in a day.

Same reason I guess as described by John Wiegley in his blog post,
seeing 5 entries like "14x Finish coding feature X" in the daily
agenda is discouraging and makes one feel like falling behind all the
time. Seeing "INPROGRESS Finish coding feature X" instead does not
discourage me as I don't have to be reminded that I had already wasted
2 weeks on it, it just reminds me to continue to work on it today.

Regards,
  Max

@ 2007-09-27 20:49       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-09-27 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Max Mikhanosha <max@openchat.com> writes:

> Seeing "INPROGRESS Finish coding feature X" instead does not
> discourage me as I don't have to be reminded that I had already wasted
> 2 weeks on it, it just reminds me to continue to work on it today.

I get this point.

The only problem I can see with the solution you're proposing is this:
how do you know that a INPROGRESS headline is of the "sticky" kind? How
do you distinguish between those "keep-motivation-up" headings and other
INPROGRESS headings that are scheduled for this date?

Maybe you just don't *want* to distinguish between them, but other
people might at least expect some visual clue.

As for the vertical space limitation, I guess this wouldn't hurt that
much to get rid of the blank line and of the "========" line. And if you
want your INPROGRESS tasks to be displayed first, just swap the order of
(agenda) and (todo "INPROGRESS") in org-agenda-custom-commands?

--
Bastien

* Re: PATCH: include in-progress/started todos into daily agenda
@ 2007-10-09 16:09 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-10-09 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Mikhanosha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Max,

after thinking this through, I believe it is more  consistent not to
implement your patch, because for my feeling it changes the logic of
agenda and todo lists in a slightly confusing way.

Instead, I will try to invite you to keep your INPROGRESS items
scheduled, by implementing the following change (proposed by John):

In 5.12 there will be a new variable `org-agenda-scheduled-leaders' that
determines the leading string of a scheduled item in the agenda display.

If you customize

    (setq org-agenda-scheduled-leaders '("Start: " "Cont:  "))

then your INPROGRESS item will look like  this:

Work:  Start: TODO This task is scheduled for today
Work:  Cont:  INPROGRESS task was scheduled in past, not DONE.

Maybe less distressing than Sched: 15x ?

Many thanks for your input, great that you produced a patch, sorry
for not using it.

@ 2007-10-09 19:18   ` Max Mikhanosha
From: Max Mikhanosha @ 2007-10-09 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Dominik,

Carsten Dominik wrote:

> In 5.12 there will be a new variable `org-agenda-scheduled-leaders' that
> determines the leading string of a scheduled item in the agenda display.
>
> If you customize
>
>     (setq org-agenda-scheduled-leaders '("Start: " "Cont:  "))
>
> then your INPROGRESS item will look like  this:
>
> Work:  Start: TODO This task is scheduled for today
> Work:  Cont:  INPROGRESS task was scheduled in past, not DONE.
>
> Maybe less distressing than Sched: 15x ?

The above will probably work for me, I have to try it for a few
days. To me the INPROGRESS thing is also about efficiency, as if I
lets say have to put something aside, I just flip it back into TODO
state with 1 t from agenda, but if I have it scheduled, to unschedule
it I have to go to the item and remove the SCHEDULED line. Someone
recently asked on a list for a command to unschedule a TODO, I would
like to join this request.

> Many thanks for your input, great that you produced a patch, sorry
> for not using it.

Its no problem, I'm posting posting patches mostly to generate
discussion / give back to the "google it first" community (ppl who
solve most of their problems by googling it and finding someone
already posted a fix/patch/idea for it on some mailing list).

Regards,
  Max

@ 2007-10-09 20:52     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-09 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Max Mikhanosha <max@openchat.com> writes:

> Someone recently asked on a list for a command to unschedule a TODO, I
> would like to join this request.

As of Org 5.11, you can unschedule an item with C-u C-c C-s, either from
an Org buffer or from an agenda view.

--
Bastien