From: Charles Millar <millarc@verizon.net>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Extremely slow org-table operations
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 19:40:18 -0400	[thread overview]

Hi,

York Zhao wrote:
>> I think Org 8.3 should improve the situation. Please test it if you can.
> I was aware that my "emacs -Q" test was done against org-mode version 8.2.x.
> However, I use the latest org-mode from Git everyday. For example, the version
> I'm currently using is (from M-x org-version): "Org-mode version 8.3beta
> (release_8.3beta-509-g86ec0a.dirty @ /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/)". So
> apparently the problem had never been addressed.
>
>> Meanwhile, I suggest to insert some subsections in your file.
> What do you mean by "insert some subsections"?
>

> Thanks
>

> On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 5:43 AM, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> York Zhao <gtdplatform@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> A few months ago I tried Emacs 24.4 and was disappointed because almost all of
>>> the org-table operations became AT LEAST ten times slower. Because recently
>>> Emacs 24.4 gets officially released, I finally switched over. However, the
>>> problems I had several months ago were still there, i.e., in a big file,
>>> org-table operations are at least ten times slower. I tried profiling it but
>>> didn't help much. So I decided to report the issue here.
>> [...]
>>
>>> In summery, the file "test.org" has more than 5000 org-table tables, each table
>>> has a formula. If you move the point to the tables not too far away from the
>>> beginning of the buffer and press "C-c C-c" on the formula line, you will notice
>>> that the speed is very fast which is great. However, if you move the point far
>>> away enough from the beginning of the buffer (move to the end for example), you
>>> will find that "C-c C-c" on the formula line becomes much slower.
>>>
>>> Many other operations are also very slow. However, because I haven't been able
>>> to create the ECMs for those operations yet, lets focus on this one
>>> first.
>> I think Org 8.3 should improve the situation. Please test it if you can.
>> Meanwhile, I suggest to insert some subsections in your file.
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Nicolas Goaziou

IIRC Carsten Dominik made the following observation: org tables are
extremely slow if they are used as workbooks/spreadsheets and there are
many entries (many is undefined). He recommended that a spreadsheet
program in such situations.

I learned that the hard way when I had one table - four columns, three
simple addition formulas with about 1,000 entries. It seemed an eternity
before the addition was completed.

Charlie Millar