https://orgmode.org/manual/Adding-hyperlink-types.html#Adding-hyperlink-types Adding a custom hyperlink type (or overriding the existing one for mail messages) seems like your best bet. Jack > On Mar 2, 2018, at 07:16, Gregor Zattler wrote: > > Hi org-mode developers, > > it would be nice if there was a facility to wash (= shorten) org > link descriptions. From the users perspective this could be a > list of regular expressions with corresponding short forms. > > Use case: > > I want to automatically shorten org link descriptions, > especially if linking to emails. Some of this emails are from a > request tracker and have extraordinary long From: and Subject: > suffixes which add up to 49 characters in the link description. > I would like to radically shorten this boilerplate. > > Even with "normal" To: and Subject:, the default formatting of > such links prefixes the correspondents name with "from " or "to ". > While it's fine with me to distinguish emails from me from > emails to emails to me, I would not need the "from "). > > > Ciao; Gregor > -- > -... --- .-. . -.. ..--.. ...-.- > >