Sebastian, In the 'test.org' file **attached** in my previous mail, indentation was as you had suggested [you may verify or test/use that as a 'minimal example' to confirm]. I think text pasted into the email itself [under the title 'org content'] may have lost some white-space. Thanks for the BEGIN_QUOTE suggestion. Here's a funny thing I see: If I use *begin_quote*, the exported html has list-items numbered *correctly *. However, If I use *begin_example*, the numbering gets messed up again! Attaching slightly modified version of org file and exported-html [ *C-c C-e b* ] On 17 February 2010 19:00, Sebastian Rose wrote: > Hi Stephan, > > > list are made from indentation. The `#+begin_example' (did you mean > `#+begin_quote'?) must be indented to be considered a part of the first > list item. This way, it is considered the end of the list. > > > It should be: > > * Simonisms > 1. Kodachrome > #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE > When I think back on all the crap I learned in high school, It's a > wonder I can think at all > #+END_EXAMPLE > 2. Sound of silence > >