* Dired-like agenda
@ 2014-06-07  5:11 Samuel Wales
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Samuel Wales @ 2014-06-07  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Here is a brainstorm/RFC/FR.  It is not entirely worked out,
but it gives the flavor.

The idea is to make Org agenda act more like Dired
for consistency.

For example, we might have commands like:

  1) %m -- mark headers with regexp
  2) %g -- mark headers with regexp in body text of entry
  3) %M -- mark lines containing a regexp
     + this would allow matching category/prefix etc.
     + Dired doesn't have this feature
  4) k -- kill this line or marked lines
     + this is similar to how < kills lines in the agenda
       that do not have the current category
  5) t -- toggle all marks
  6) s -- change sorting without redoing the whole agenda

Example of how it would work:

If you want to show only lines in the agenda that have a
category that matches "^x":

  1) %M ^..x RET to mark
  2) t to toggle
  3) k to show only the lines you want

This is actually something I want to do frequently.  It's
like < except with a regexp.  A command could do it, but it
might also be useful if the commands were more Dired-like.

Comments?

Samuel

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  And
ANYBODY can get it.

Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.

* Re: Dired-like agenda
@ 2014-06-07  6:04 ` Thorsten Jolitz
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-06-07  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Here is a brainstorm/RFC/FR.  It is not entirely worked out,
> but it gives the flavor.
>
> The idea is to make Org agenda act more like Dired
> for consistency.

> Comments?

sounds definitely interesting, especially with the same keybindings like
in dired ...

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Dired-like agenda
@ 2014-06-07  7:22 ` Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2014-06-07  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Here is a brainstorm/RFC/FR.  It is not entirely worked out,
> but it gives the flavor.
>
> The idea is to make Org agenda act more like Dired
> for consistency.

this is also for me interesting.

--
:: Igor Sosa Mayor     :: joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com ::
:: GnuPG: 0x1C1E2890   :: http://www.gnupg.org/      ::

* Re: Dired-like agenda
@ 2014-06-07 18:24 ` Thierry Banel
From: Thierry Banel @ 2014-06-07 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

+1

Le 07/06/2014 07:11, Samuel Wales a écrit :
> Here is a brainstorm/RFC/FR.  It is not entirely worked out,
> but it gives the flavor.
>
> The idea is to make Org agenda act more like Dired
> for consistency.
>
> For example, we might have commands like:
>
>   1) %m -- mark headers with regexp
>   2) %g -- mark headers with regexp in body text of entry
>   3) %M -- mark lines containing a regexp
>      + this would allow matching category/prefix etc.
>      + Dired doesn't have this feature
>   4) k -- kill this line or marked lines
>      + this is similar to how < kills lines in the agenda
>        that do not have the current category
>   5) t -- toggle all marks
>   6) s -- change sorting without redoing the whole agenda
>
> Example of how it would work:
>
> If you want to show only lines in the agenda that have a
> category that matches "^x":
>
>   1) %M ^..x RET to mark
>   2) t to toggle
>   3) k to show only the lines you want
>
> This is actually something I want to do frequently.  It's
> like < except with a regexp.  A command could do it, but it
> might also be useful if the commands were more Dired-like.
>
> Comments?
>
> Samuel

* Re: Dired-like agenda
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-07-28  8:55 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-07-28  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Samuel,

> The idea is to make Org agenda act more like Dired
> for consistency.

I favor this too -- thanks for raising this.

8.3 is already overloaded with new features, so let's put this
for 8.4, and let's continue to refine the suggestion.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Dired-like agenda
@ 2014-07-28 22:23   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2014-07-28 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 7/28/14, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
> 8.3 is already overloaded with new features, so let's put this
> for 8.4, and let's continue to refine the suggestion.

looking forward to it.