From: Ilya Shlyakhter <ilya_shl@alum.mit.edu>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: inline source code blocks
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2014 19:02:59 -0500	[thread overview]

 > I think code blocks work well for non-inline code.

For a series of one-liners interspersed with comments, code block
boundaries triple the number of lines.   E.g. the example in the manual
at http://orgmode.org/org.html#noweb_002dref

+BEGIN_SRC sh :tangle yes :noweb yes :shebang #!/bin/sh
         <<fullest-disk>>
#+END_SRC
* the mount point of the fullest disk
   :PROPERTIES:
   :noweb-ref: fullest-disk
   :END:

** query all mounted disks
    #+BEGIN_SRC sh
    df \
    #+END_SRC

** strip the header row
    #+BEGIN_SRC sh
    |sed '1d' \
    #+END_SRC

** sort by the percent full
    #+BEGIN_SRC sh
    awk '{print $5 " " $6}'|sort -n |tail -1 \
    #+END_SRC

** extract the mount point
    #+BEGIN_SRC sh
      |awk '{print $2}'
    #+END_SRC

could be shortened to

#+PROPERTY: ob-default-lang sh

#+HEADER: :tangle yes :noweb yes :shebang #!/bin/sh
     :  <<fullest-disk>>

* the mount point of the fullest disk
   :PROPERTIES:
   :noweb-ref: fullest-disk
   :END:
** query all mounted disks
   : df \
** strip the header row
   : |sed '1d' \
** sort by the percent full
   : |awk '{print $5 " " $6}'|sort -n |tail -1 \
** extract the mount point
   : |awk '{print $2}'

i.e. where the (inherited) property ob-default-lang exists, literal
examples become code blocks in that language.

Or in a list of C++ declarations:

#+PROPERTY: ob-default-lang c++

* class MyClass
    Does X, Y and Z.
    : class MyClass: public MyParent {
** Private fields
*** Field a: stores thing one
    : int a;
*** Field b: stores thing two
    : char *b;
** Public methods
    : public:
*** Method getA: Returns the value of a.
    : int getA() const { return a; }
** end class MyClass
    : }

I'm finding that Org would work well as a literate programming system
for C++, if the code block starts and ends didn't get in the way so much
during frequent switching between code and prose.

 > I use the following to make code block syntax less intrusive

Thanks, that was helpful, didn't know about compose-region.
Still, it does not reduce the number of lines used, so a short list of
declarations interspersed with comments quickly ends up taking a lot of
vertical space.   When coding it helps to be able to see many things at
once, and having many extra lines (even mostly-blank ones) makes that
difficult.

ilya