* Selecting Date Causes Complete Lockup of Emacs
@ 2014-01-11 15:01 Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2014-01-11 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

+#begin_src
:SETUP:
#+DRAWERS: SETUP NOTES PROPERTIES
#+TITLE: Log of Various Bike Rides in 2014.
#+STARTUP: overview indent
#+STARTUP: hidestars
#+TAGS: n_wales(n) lakes(l) scotland(s) peak_district(p)
:END:

* January.
#+tblname: january

|------+---------------+-------|
| Date | Distance (km) | Notes |
|------+---------------+-------|
|      |               |       |
#+TBLFM: @>$2=vsum(@2..@-1)

+#end_src

Place the point in the Date column and type C-c !. Now select a date in
the calendar. I chose a date in the past few days, but don't know if
this is relevant. Emacs locks up completely, no back trace and the only
way out is kill -9.

GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.2)
  of 2013-08-06 on -mnt-storage-buildroots-staging-x86_64-eric

This has been happening for a while, so over several git updates.
However, I haven't been able to reproduce the sequence of events causing
the lockup until just now.

If anyone else can reproduce this I'll try and track down when it
started happening. Otherwise I'll try bisecting my configuration.

Ian.

* Re: Selecting Date Causes Complete Lockup of Emacs
@ 2014-01-13  0:05 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-01-13  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Barton; +Cc: ian, emacs-orgmode

Hi Ian,

Ian Barton <lists@wilkesley.net> writes:

> Place the point in the Date column and type C-c !. Now select a date in
> the calendar. I chose a date in the past few days, but don't know if
> this is relevant. Emacs locks up completely, no back trace and the only
> way out is kill -9.

I can't reproduce this with a more recent Emacs.

Maybe you can use gdb:

~$ gdb emacs
[then "run" in the prompt]

and report what's going on to the Emacs developers.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Selecting Date Causes Complete Lockup of Emacs
@ 2014-01-13  9:54   ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2014-01-13  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: ian, emacs-orgmode

On 13/01/14 00:05, Bastien wrote:
> Hi Ian,
>
> Ian Barton <lists@wilkesley.net> writes:
>
>> Place the point in the Date column and type C-c !. Now select a date in
>> the calendar. I chose a date in the past few days, but don't know if
>> this is relevant. Emacs locks up completely, no back trace and the only
>> way out is kill -9.
>
> I can't reproduce this with a more recent Emacs.
>
> Maybe you can use gdb:
>
> ~$ gdb emacs
> [then "run" in the prompt]
>
> and report what's going on to the Emacs developers.

Thanks Bastien. However, gdb doesn't help as my Emacs doesn't have
debugging symbols. I'll try compiling Emacs with the debugging symbols
and see what happens.

Ian.