* ODT export produces odt file which MS Word 2007 can't open
@ 2013-11-22 14:15 Gary Oberbrunner
From: Gary Oberbrunner @ 2013-11-22 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

This simple org file:
 * This is a list
 * Here's another item

produces the simple-list.odt file attached with the latest org-mode (from
git master).  MS Word 2007 (10.0.6683.5002) SP3 can't open it; it says the
file cannot be opened because there are problems with it, then says it's
corrupt.  It then offers to recover the contents of the document; that
works and it comes in fine.  This is on Windows 7.

I don't have OpenOffice on this machine so can't check it there.

(This is not a big problem for me, but just wanted to let you know.)

--
Gary

[-- Attachment #2: simple-list.odt --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text, Size: 9982 bytes --]

* Re: ODT export produces odt file which MS Word 2007 can't open
@ 2013-11-25 10:38 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-11-25 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gary Oberbrunner <garyo@oberbrunner.com> writes:

> I don't have OpenOffice on this machine so can't check it there.

Using LibreOffice, I re-saved the file you shared to use
OpenDocument-v1.1 format.  Does Word import this file without errors?

Btw, the files created by the ODT exporter are marked as 1.2.

[-- Attachment #2: simple-list-v1.1.odt --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text, Size: 13479 bytes --]

* Re: ODT export produces odt file which MS Word 2007 can't open
@ 2013-11-25 14:13   ` Gary Oberbrunner
From: Gary Oberbrunner @ 2013-11-25 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, Word opens your resaved version with no errors.  It does have odd
large bullets with the number "10" in the bullet; that is so weird I've
attached a screen shot.

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 5:38 AM, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com>wrote:

> Gary Oberbrunner <garyo@oberbrunner.com> writes:
>
> > I don't have OpenOffice on this machine so can't check it there.
>
> Using LibreOffice, I re-saved the file you shared to use
> OpenDocument-v1.1 format.  Does Word import this file without errors?
>
> Btw, the files created by the ODT exporter are marked as 1.2.

--
Gary

[-- Attachment #2: doc-image-weird-bullets.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 136191 bytes --]

* Re: ODT export produces odt file which MS Word 2007 can't open
@ 2013-11-25 19:09     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-11-25 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gary Oberbrunner <garyo@oberbrunner.com> writes:

> Yes, Word opens your resaved version with no errors.

So there is some truth to Word complaining when confronted with
OpenDocument v1.2 format files.

> It does have odd large bullets with the number "10" in the bullet;
> that is so weird I've attached a screen shot.

So importing of v1.1 files is not perfect.

So the bottomline is this:

When sharing a document created by Org ODT exporter to MS Word users, it
is good to add a note saying "Dont Panic" if MS Word complains about
document corruption etc.

@ 2013-11-26  5:58       ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2013-11-26  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/25/13, 20:09 , Jambunathan K wrote:
> Gary Oberbrunner <garyo@oberbrunner.com> writes:
>
>> Yes, Word opens your resaved version with no errors.
>
> So there is some truth to Word complaining when confronted with
> OpenDocument v1.2 format files.
>
>> It does have odd large bullets with the number "10" in the
>> bullet; that is so weird I've attached a screen shot.
>
> So importing of v1.1 files is not perfect.
>
> So the bottomline is this:
>
> When sharing a document created by Org ODT exporter to MS Word
> users, it is good to add a note saying "Dont Panic" if MS Word
> complains about document corruption etc.

Well - there is more to it: I tried to open any of the two odt files,
and none opened on Mac (Office 2011). It seems Office 2011 for Mac (or
in general?) can not open odt files?

Cheers,

Rainer

>> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 5:38 AM, Jambunathan K
>> <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Gary Oberbrunner <garyo@oberbrunner.com> writes:
>>
>>> I don't have OpenOffice on this machine so can't check it
>>> there.
>>

>> Using LibreOffice, I re-saved the file you shared to use
>> OpenDocument-v1.1 format. Does Word import this file without
>> errors?
>>
>> Btw, the files created by the ODT exporter are marked as 1.2.

- --
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa