* Bug: Is "radio tables" broken?
@ 2013-11-08 15:24 Charles Millar
From: Charles Millar @ 2013-11-08 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I tried to use the LaTeX radio tables that I included in a file that I
set up a year ago.

When point was in the first cell of the table, C-c C-c gave

C-c C-c can do nothing useful at this location.

I copied the LaTeX radio table (section A.6.2) from the manual into a
scratch.org file, put the point in the first cell, C-c C-c 'd with the
same result.

Out of curiosity I changed one of the "Days" number for January, C-c
C-c'd the TBLFM: and again the same message.

Is there a bug or what am I missing in the manual?

Charlie Millar

* Re: Bug: Is "radio tables" broken?
@ 2013-11-08 15:32 ` Charles Millar
From: Charles Millar @ 2013-11-08 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 11/8/2013 10:24 AM, Charles Millar wrote:
> I tried to use the LaTeX radio tables that I included in a file that I
> set up a year ago.
>
> When point was in the first cell of the table, C-c C-c gave
>
> C-c C-c can do nothing useful at this location.
>
> I copied the LaTeX radio table (section A.6.2) from the manual into a
> scratch.org file, put the point in the first cell, C-c C-c 'd with the
> same result.
>
> Out of curiosity I changed one of the "Days" number for January, C-c
> C-c'd the TBLFM: and again the same message.
>
> Is there a bug or what am I missing in the manual?

Forgot to mention that

GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.0.6002) of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN
Org-mode version 8.2.2 (release_8.2.2-180-g71152d @
c:/cygwin/home/owner/.elisp/org-mode/lisp/)
on Windows Vista Home Premium SP2

* Re: Bug: Is "radio tables" broken?
@ 2013-11-08 20:56 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-11-08 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Charles Millar <millarc@verizon.net> writes:

> I tried to use the LaTeX radio tables that I included in a file that I
> set up a year ago.
>
> When point was in the first cell of the table, C-c C-c gave
>
> C-c C-c can do nothing useful at this location.
>
> I copied the LaTeX radio table (section A.6.2) from the manual into a
> scratch.org file, put the point in the first cell, C-c C-c 'd with the
> same result.
>
> Out of curiosity I changed one of the "Days" number for January, C-c
> C-c'd the TBLFM: and again the same message.
>
> Is there a bug or what am I missing in the manual?

You need to turn on orgtbl-mode as a minor mode:

M-x orgtbl-mode

But putting the example in an org document misses the point I think: the
idea is that you have a *LaTeX document* (not an org one), but you want
to be able to create a table using org syntax and to then automatically
create the LaTeX table from the org table. So you add the code into your
LaTeX document, turn on orgtbl-mode as a minor mode and then press C-c
C-c on the ORGTBL: SEND line which turns the org table into a LaTeX
table and inserts it at the spot specified with the BEGIN/END RECEIVE
ORGTBL stufff.

Nick

* Re: Bug: Is "radio tables" broken?
@ 2013-11-08 22:02   ` Charles Millar
From: Charles Millar @ 2013-11-08 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick

On 11/8/2013 3:56 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:
> Charles Millar <millarc@verizon.net> writes:
>
>> I tried to use the LaTeX radio tables that I included in a file that I
>> set up a year ago.
>>
>> When point was in the first cell of the table, C-c C-c gave
>>
>> C-c C-c can do nothing useful at this location.
>>
>> I copied the LaTeX radio table (section A.6.2) from the manual into a
>> scratch.org file, put the point in the first cell, C-c C-c 'd with the
>> same result.
>>
>> Out of curiosity I changed one of the "Days" number for January, C-c
>> C-c'd the TBLFM: and again the same message.
>>
>> Is there a bug or what am I missing in the manual?
>>
> You need to turn on orgtbl-mode as a minor mode:
>
> M-x orgtbl-mode
>
> But putting the example in an org document misses the point I think: the
> idea is that you have a *LaTeX document* (not an org one), but you want
> to be able to create a table using org syntax and to then automatically
> create the LaTeX table from the org table. So you add the code into your
> LaTeX document, turn on orgtbl-mode as a minor mode and then press C-c
> C-c on the ORGTBL: SEND line which turns the org table into a LaTeX
> table and inserts it at the spot specified with the BEGIN/END RECEIVE
> ORGTBL stufff.
>
> Nick

  Thanks. I obviously forgot the procedure. I used org mode for the
entire file.  When it came time to use the radio tables I would M-x
tex-mode and then M-x orgtbl-mode and proceeded from there.

Charlie