Hi Sebastien, On Dec 8, 2009, at 11:37 AM, Sébastien Vauban wrote: > Hi Thomas, > > "Thomas S. Dye" wrote: >> On Dec 7, 2009, at 11:50 PM, Sébastien Vauban wrote: >> >>>> [2] I guess one could potentially think about dealing with >>>> missing values >>>> more explicitly in org-babel. E.g. there could be a header arg >>>> specifying what values are to be treatyed as missing. Nothing >>>> like >>>> that exists currently. >>> >>> I guess such a feature would be required on the long term. Of >>> course, even >>> specifying what would be the needed behavior is already difficult, >>> I think. >>> One must have good knowledge of the multiple languages and >>> environments, >>> and try to abstract the best behavior out of these. >>> >>> Side note -- I know, for example, that there is an option in >>> Access to let >>> it consider the empty string ('') as the NULL value, or not. Clear. >>> >>> But what's a "NA" value in general? Is 0 always a meaningful >>> value as >>> numeric? Context-sensitive.. >> >> NA is a logical constant of length 1 which contains a missing value >> indicator. Whether or not 0 is a meaningful value as numeric >> depends on your >> data and the questions you are asking of it. You don't ask this >> question, > > ? I thought I addressed that when asking (to myself) "Is 0 always a > meaningful value as numeric?" and answering [that it certainly is] > "context-sensitive.." > > >> but if I read this thread correctly and you are trying to >> workaround a data >> input problem with R in Org-babel, > > No, you misread, or I mis-wrote ;-) > > I wasn't speaking of R only, saying that "such a feature would be > required on > the long term [... for] the multiple languages". > > Thinking at shell-script (with empty strings), SQL code (with empty > strings > and NULL values), etc. > > >> then replacing missing values with 0 in a numeric context to get >> around the >> Org-babel problem is NOT a good idea. > > Implementing a fixed interpretation is NOT a good idea. I share your > point of > view. > > My comments were: > > - I think we must be able to write a rule for interpreting > "empty" (whatever > it means) values; > > - We should think at what's needed to cover the current and future > needs, not > focusing on one specific language (R), but thinking at all of them > (shell > commands, SQL, etc.). > > Best regards, > Seb > > -- > Sébastien Vauban I agree with you on the importance of having some way to represent missing values in Org-babel that can be translated cleanly and transparently to the representations used by specific languages. I was responding to one part of your longer message in the context of the message subject, "R questions." I see now that you were asking a more general question. Mea culpa. All the best, Tom Thomas S. Dye, Ph.D. T. S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists, Inc. Phone: (808) 529-0866 Fax: (808) 529-0884 http://www.tsdye.com