* org-info.js: new navigation history
@ 2009-06-17 21:52 Sebastian Rose
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-06-17 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

just cannot resist posting this here:

The navigation of org-info.js has been improved quite a bit.

  1.) Navigating a file through org-info.js, either using the mouse or
      using the keyboard, modifies the location. Thus, once you left
      the file by following a link somewhere else, your browser's `back'
      button will bring you back to the point you left the file.

  2.) org-info.js now navigates accross files. If those files both use
      org-info.js, you can navigate back and forth. Because of the new
      technique in 1.), both files nearly feel like beeing one and the
      same file. Thus following links in published files feels like
      following footnotes and returning to the context.

      Example:

      Once you reach the end of the internal history, repeatedly
      pressing `B' or `b' takes you forward and back in the browsers
      history.

      - open one of your published org files.
      - press `n' until a you reach a section, that has a link to another
        file in your published tree.
      - follow the link by clicking on it.
      - in the other file, navigate using `n' and `p'...
      - repeat this, until org-info.js brings you back to the file you
        opened in step 1. Note, that you see the same section you saw
        just before leaving the file by following the link.
      - Now press `B' until org-info.js brings you to the other file
        again.

One flaw though: the internal history is lost when returning to a
file.

Regards

   Sebastian

--
Sebastian Rose, EMMA STIL - mediendesign, Niemeyerstr.6, 30449 Hannover
Tel.:  +49 (0)511 - 36 58 472

* Re: org-info.js: new navigation history
@ 2009-06-18  7:21 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-06-18  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sebastian,

On Jun 17, 2009, at 11:52 PM, Sebastian Rose wrote:

> Hi,
>

> just cannot resist posting this here:

Why would you even consider to resist? :-)

this is really great, I missed the possibility to go back to the most
recent position.

- Carsten

@ 2009-06-18  8:21 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-06-18  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

@ 2009-06-18 14:31 ` Xin Shi
From: Xin Shi @ 2009-06-18 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sebastian,

This is a really great feature I was hoping to have!

I tried to get the http://orgmode.org/org-info.js and tested on Firefox
3.0.11, the "B" works but click on the go back button is not working. ...
not sure why.

Thanks!
Xin

One question is in one org file, how to specify the internal link so that it
can be j

@ 2009-06-18 14:58   ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-06-18 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xin Shi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Xin Shi <shixin111@gmail.com> writes:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> This is a really great feature I was hoping to have!
>
> I tried to get the http://orgmode.org/org-info.js and tested on Firefox
> 3.0.11, the "B" works but click on the go back button is not working. ...
> not sure why.

The reason for this is, we can not modify the history. What we can do,
is to modify the current history entry. If we used

    document.location.href="...";

the page would be reloaded when going to the next section.

The browsers back button works only across history entries (i.e. from
one file to another in this case).
But going back in the navigation history of the current file works only
through the keyboard shortcuts or the clicking the links org-info.js
adds to the page.

  Sebastian

* Re: org-info.js: new navigation history
@ 2009-06-18 20:37     ` Xin Shi
From: Xin Shi @ 2009-06-18 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

 Hi Sebastian,

I see. So, in your initial email, "using mouse" only means click on the
links make by the js file.

Xin

@ 2009-06-18 22:01       ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-06-18 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xin Shi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Xin Shi <shixin111@gmail.com> writes:

>  Hi Sebastian,
>
> I see. So, in your initial email, "using mouse" only means click on the
> links make by the js file.

Yes.

Modifying the history is considered dangerous (it is).

But you can return from file b to file a using the browsers back
button. Now to the very point you left file a before.

  Sebastian

* Re: org-info.js: new navigation history
@ 2009-06-19 14:20         ` Xin Shi
From: Xin Shi @ 2009-06-19 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sebastian,

So, I got a related question is how to jump internally during the info mode?
For example:

In one place I defined:
  :CUSTOM_ID: tab-compare

In another place in the same org file, I want to link to that position by
[[#tab-compare][table]].
It does not jump to that position by the javascript. Although, opening a new
web browser and specify that link (published_org_file_name#tab-compare) will
open it.  Are there any way to solve it in the js file?

Thanks!

Xin

@ 2009-06-19 14:50           ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-06-19 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xin Shi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Xin Shi <shixin111@gmail.com> writes:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> So, I got a related question is how to jump internally during the info mode?
> For example:
>
> In one place I defined:
>   :CUSTOM_ID: tab-compare
>
> In another place in the same org file, I want to link to that position by
> [[#tab-compare][table]].
> It does not jump to that position by the javascript. Although, opening a new
> web browser and specify that link (published_org_file_name#tab-compare) will
> open it.  Are there any way to solve it in the js file?

It should. It doesn't though...
This is a bug.

I'll fix it and be back in a minute...

  Sebastian

* Re: org-info.js: new navigation history
@ 2009-06-19 15:09           ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-06-19 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xin Shi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Xin Shi <shixin111@gmail.com> writes:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> So, I got a related question is how to jump internally during the info mode?
> For example:
>
> In one place I defined:
>   :CUSTOM_ID: tab-compare
>
> In another place in the same org file, I want to link to that position by
> [[#tab-compare][table]].

Ahh - got it:

It should be:

   [[tab-compare][table]]

without the hash.

Anyway, thanks for your mail. This way I found that I broke the
`prefered ID' stuff (`l' should use the prefered ID, i.e. the custom
id).

  Sebastian

* Re: org-info.js: new navigation history
@ 2009-06-19 15:28             ` Xin Shi
From: Xin Shi @ 2009-06-19 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sebastian,

I tried that.  Now in the published file, the link becomes
"pagename#sec-2.1.1", not the ID name. At the same time, when I click on it,
it still does not move. :(

Xin

@ 2009-06-19 16:08               ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-06-19 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xin Shi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hm - the following methods work here. As I found in
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/13047/match=custom+id they
shouldn't. Seems the links should be prepended with the hash sign as you
proposed. But it works both ways here (org-mode from today).  I jumped
the gun and took a look in a testfile I use here (see below).

And:

  There really _was_ a bug in org-info.js that should be fixed now.
  The current code is here:
  http://repo.or.cz/w/Worg.git?a=commit;h=366e95c4c3dd9bcca7093d6aad137fc89eadf37a

  Now we see the prefered (i.e. custom) IDs in the browser's location
  bar (and therefor the history panel, if the browser has such a thing).

This is the relevant part of a file I use here for testing:

=> --->8----------------------------->8----------------------------->8---
# <<fill-table-column-with-incremental-numbers>>
* Section C

  ...some content ...

    *These links work:*

    + [[fill-table-column-with-incremental-numbers][Section C]]
    + [[subsection-four][Subsection C.2]]

*** Subsection C.2
    :PROPERTIES:
    :CUSTOM_ID: subsection-four
    :END:

    + [[#fill-table-column-with-incremental-numbers][Section C]]
    + [[#subsection-four][Subsection C.2]]

<= ---8<-----------------------------8<-----------------------------8<---

Could you send us the part of your sources that does _not_ work?

Regards

   Sebastian

* Re: org-info.js: new navigation history
@ 2009-06-19 16:50                 ` Xin Shi
From: Xin Shi @ 2009-06-19 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sebastian,

I have an idea of testing whether it works or not.

In the orgmode page:

http://orgmode.org/Changes.html#sec-2.1.1

It's talking about the custom ID. Could you try to add an example after
line:

Links written like [[#my-target-name] ] can be used to target a custom ID.

For example:  [[#v6.24][Version 6.24]] should go to the section Version
6.24.

If this link can be used, that means the  problem is solved.

Thank you!

Xin

@ 2009-06-22 11:46                   ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-06-22 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xin Shi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Xin Shi <shixin111@gmail.com> writes:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> I have an idea of testing whether it works or not.
>
> In the orgmode page:
>
> http://orgmode.org/Changes.html#sec-2.1.1
>
> It's talking about the custom ID. Could you try to add an example after
> line:
>
> Links written like [[#my-target-name] ] can be used to target a custom ID.
>
> For example:  [[#v6.24][Version 6.24]] should go to the section Version
> 6.24.
>
> If this link can be used, that means the  problem is solved.

The links work there. I Adjusted my local test file and found, that both
of these work:

  [[#v6.24][Version 6.24]]

and

  [[v6.24][Version 6.24]]

(without the hash sign)

  Sebastian

* Re: org-info.js: new navigation history
@ 2009-06-23  1:29                     ` Xin Shi
From: Xin Shi @ 2009-06-23  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sebastian,

Hmm... I may need to wait for another release of the org-mode and the js
file.

By the way, it looks the contents table in the left-bar of that page behaves
strange:

@ 2009-06-23  2:15                       ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-06-23  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xin Shi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Xin Shi <shixin111@gmail.com> writes:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> Hmm... I may need to wait for another release of the org-mode and the js
> file.

Which version of Org-mode do you use?  `M-x org-version RET'

> By the way, it looks the contents table in the left-bar of that page behaves
> strange:
>
>   http://orgmode.org/Changes.html#sec-2.1.1

Yes. It the navigation jumps up again.

I saw, that the page in info mode jumps up to the headline inside the
window. It does so, because the browser moves to the section if I change
the location.
The only workaround I found so far, is to hide the body, change the
location, show the body again and do a `window.scrollTo(0,0)' which
turns out to be sub-optimal.
You can see the effect, if you press `m' to switch to plain view
mode. The TOC then stays where it was before the click.

Hm - now as I write this... maybe it helps to just hide hide the
info-view widget... I'll figure...

  Sebastian

* Re: org-info.js: new navigation history
@ 2009-06-23 12:56                         ` Xin Shi
From: Xin Shi @ 2009-06-23 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode