* performance of exporting large tables
@ 2013-05-16 20:24 D M German
From: D M German @ 2013-05-16 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

hi everybody,

I have a table with 15 columns and 500 rows. One of the columns is a
URL.

org-mode is hanging while exporting the table. It does not seem to
crash, but it is taking a significant amount of time. The worst part is
that it does not appear to be linear.

80 rows -> 17 seconds
160 rows (same 80 rows duplicated) -> 58 seconds

160 rows, 8 columns -> 21 seconds (it seems to not matter which columns
there are).

I wonder if this is expected behaviour. Given that org does not sort the
tables, why does the time increase non-linearly to the size of the
table?

If interested, I can make the table available.

thanks a lot!

--daniel

--
Daniel M. German                  "And ye shall know the truth,
   John 8:32 ->                    and the truth shall make you free."

* Re: performance of exporting large tables
@ 2013-05-16 22:59 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-05-16 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Daniel,

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 01:24:10PM -0700, D M German wrote:

> If interested, I can make the table available.

A working example that reproduces the issue always helps.  If you could
post the table (of course after removing sensitive/private information)
it would be great help for the developers and testers.

Suvayu

* Re: performance of exporting large tables
@ 2013-05-17 19:51   ` D M German
From: D M German @ 2013-05-17 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Suvayu,

 Suvayu> Hi Daniel,
 Suvayu> On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 01:24:10PM -0700, D M German wrote:

 >> If interested, I can make the table available.

 Suvayu> A working example that reproduces the issue always helps.  If you could
 Suvayu> post the table (of course after removing sensitive/private information)
 Suvayu> it would be great help for the developers and testers.

Here is a trivial example:

http://turingmachine.org/~dmg/temp/bigTable.org

(you can do anything with this file, including adding it to any battery
of tests in the future).

- Latex works well (export within a couple of seconds)
- ASCII, HTML, Markdown (based on html so no surpise) take more than a
  minute....

Does anybody know where the processing might be taking time?

thanks again,

--daniel

 Suvayu> Thanks,

 Suvayu> --
 Suvayu> Suvayu

 Suvayu> Open source is the future. It sets us free.

--
Daniel M. German                  "Operating systems are like underwear,
   Bill Joy ->                     nobody really wants to look at them."

@ 2013-05-18  8:41     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-05-18  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dmg; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

D M German <dmg@uvic.ca> writes:

> Here is a trivial example:
>
> http://turingmachine.org/~dmg/temp/bigTable.org
>
> (you can do anything with this file, including adding it to any battery
> of tests in the future).
>
> - Latex works well (export within a couple of seconds)
> - ASCII, HTML, Markdown (based on html so no surpise) take more than a
>   minute....
>
> Does anybody know where the processing might be taking time?

As ELP shows, there are a couple of functions involed. I'm not surprised
though.

I am going to have a look at this.

Thanks for the example.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: performance of exporting large tables
@ 2013-05-18 16:30       ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-05-18 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dmg; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

> I am going to have a look at this.

I pushed a commit caching the results of some table functions. Export of
large tables should be a lot faster (I get 6 s now; it was 90 s before).

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: performance of exporting large tables
@ 2013-05-21 21:02         ` D M German
From: D M German @ 2013-05-21 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

 Nicolas Goaziou twisted the bytes to say:

 Nicolas> Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:
 >> I am going to have a look at this.

 Nicolas> I pushed a commit caching the results of some table functions. Export of
 Nicolas> large tables should be a lot faster (I get 6 s now; it was 90 s before).

Hi Nicolas,

thank you very much. This has resolved my issue. I can now export an org file
with these tables in few seconds.

thank you,

--daniel

 Nicolas> Regards,

 Nicolas> --
 Nicolas> Nicolas Goaziou

--
Daniel M. German                  "To read is to travel without all the hassles of luggage."
                                   Emilio Salgari