* latex export of words starting with a superscript
@ 2013-05-06 13:22 Brian
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Brian @ 2013-05-06 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear list,
this is my first time posting here so: thanks for all the work on
org-mode! I like the new changes (although the new variable names were a
pain).
This is either a feature request, a complaint or a demonstration of my
lack of knowledge of org-mode.

When export latex of words starting with a superscript or subscript, the
caret or underscore is escaped unless preceded with something other than
a space, such that I have to use \space^{14}C for a carbon radioisotope.
I do not need this when when exporting to html.

Org-mode version 8.0.1 (8.0.1-6-ge6776c-elpa @
/home/onb134/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130422/)

GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of
2013-04-14 on chindi10, modified by Debian

I like things to be controlled and set:
(setq org-use-sub-superscripts "{}")

but it doesn't make a difference whether this is set or not.

It would be nice if this could be implemented, but I am aware of the
difficulties/conflicts given that underlining needs a word to start with
"_". Maybe some nice regexp work.

Thanks!
Brian

* Re: latex export of words starting with a superscript
@ 2013-05-06 21:37 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2013-05-06 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dnia 2013-05-06, o godz. 15:22:47
Brian <zenlines@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> Dear list,
> this is my first time posting here so: thanks for all the work on
> org-mode! I like the new changes (although the new variable names
> were a pain).
> This is either a feature request, a complaint or a demonstration of
> my lack of knowledge of org-mode.

Hi,

I'd rather say that it's a demonstration of the slope of LaTeX learning
curve;).  TeX really is not supposed to handle formulae *starting* with
^ or _ (well, it works, since TeX - AFAIR - puts an implicit {} before
them, but this is not very usual in maths).  What & and _ are meant for
is *maths*, not *chemistry*. Try putting "chemistry" into the search
form at http://www.ctan.org/search - there are quite a few packages for
typesetting chemical formulae. (In fact, your problem is not the only
one with typesetting chemistry in TeX; positioning of
\(super\|sub\)scripts is also by default suitable for mathematics and
not chemistry!)

Then, you would (I guess) include some simple TeX markup in your Org
file and \usepackage something in the preamble.

In a pinch, try \null instead of a \space as a prefix.

hth

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* tab-completion of org-babel code blocks
@ 2013-07-15 15:06 ` zenlines
From: zenlines @ 2013-07-15 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi There,

the tab-completion (M-tab or, in my case, C-M-i) of to start code blocks is:

#+begin_s
is
#+begin_src:

Code blocks ending with a ":" don't work (C-c C-c) with:
#+begin_src: emacs-lisp
(setq org-export-babel-evaluate nil)
(setq org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil)
#+end_src:

But code blocks ending with a ":" do:
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(setq org-export-babel-evaluate nil)
(setq org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil)
#+end_src

as they usually do.

GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll
bars) of 2013-05-15 on DDM03958
Org-mode version 8.0.5 (8.0.5-6-g426917-elpa @
~/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130708/)

Maybe I missed something...
Just a heads-up.

Best,
Brian

* Re: tab-completion of org-babel code blocks
@ 2013-07-15 15:44   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-07-15 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zenlines; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Helo,

zenlines@gmail.com writes:

> the tab-completion (M-tab or, in my case, C-M-i) of to start code blocks is:
>
> #+begin_s
> is
> #+begin_src:

This should be fixed. Thank you for reporting it.

Nicolas Goaziou

* table references in org-babel AND latex
@ 2013-07-16 20:00 ` zenlines
From: zenlines @ 2013-07-16 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi There,

it might be nice to include documentation about table references in
org-babel AND latex, i.e.:

+begin_example

numbers in table [[tab:Table]] are important.
#+CAPTION: Description of system
#+NAME: tab:Table
| Code |
|------|
|    1 |
|    2 |
|    4 |
|    8 |
|   16 |
|   32 |
|   64 |
|  128 |
|  NaN |

#+begin_src R :session :var FlaggingTable=tab:FlaggingTable :results
silent :eval no-export
write.csv(FlaggingTable, file=file.path(doc.dir, "FlaggingTable.csv"))
#+end_src

Won't work, but

#+begin_src R :session :var FlaggingTable="tab:FlaggingTable" :results
silent :eval no-export
write.csv(FlaggingTable, file=file.path(doc.dir, "FlaggingTable.csv"))
#+end_src

will!

+end_example

Maybe I missed something somewhere, it would be nice to see it as a
footnote, to keep others sane :).

Best,
Brian

GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll
bars) of 2013-05-15 on DDM03958
Org-mode version 8.0.5 (8.0.5-6-g426917-elpa @
~/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20130708/)

* Re: table references in org-babel AND latex
@ 2013-07-19 10:51   ` zenlines
From: zenlines @ 2013-07-19 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi there,

sorry for the junk I sent regarding table references in org-babel AND
latex. Org-mode is awesome. In such a case, it is not necessary to
identify something by what it is in the classical LaTeX way and just
label it (#+name:). Org-mode recognizes just what it is and the labels
refer either to a table or figure, which have their class-based
numberings. Sorry for the crap. It may still be helpful to include that
code block header variables (#+HEADERS: :var) can't be assigned with a
name including ":".

Best,
Brian