From: Simon Thum <simon.thum@gmx.de>
To: Bastien <bzg@altern.org>
Cc: daimrod <daimrod@gmail.com>, emacs-orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Bug? Agenda problems after update
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 15:36:58 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Bastien,

I tried to reproduce using -q and had another error occurring in
customizing the agenda (hard to reproduce agenda problem with a blank list):

apropos-parse-pattern: Wrong type argument: stringp

occurs when using the search button. This is emacs org, from

GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.12) due to -q.

The below refers to git emacs, of course.

On 03/03/2013 07:34 AM, Bastien wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> thanks for reporting those problems.
>
> Simon Thum <simon.thum@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> Press key for agenda command (unrestricted):
>> Update Org Contacts Database
>> Bad sexp at line 350 in /home/simon/org/privat.org:
>> (org-contacts-anniversaries "BIRTHDAY" "%y. Geburtstag %l") [7 times]
>> Invalid face reference: nil [619 times]
>>
>> 1: Altough org-contacts is invoked, birthdays fail. I tried both sexp
>> syntaxes (%%() and <%%()>).
>
> I'm cc'ing Grégory, maybe this is related to recent changes in
> org-contact.el.  Grégory, can you have a look ?

Don't look in the wrong end - I checked out an out org-contacts.el
(127bffa9e9cfe525fad0d8c) but the issue persisted. Also see below.

>> 2: Hovering the mouse over the agenda produces these nil face warnings. I
>> have no idea how to diagnose this, but it does not hurt much it seems. On
>> every mouse motion event that hovers over agenda lines below today (except
>> for the first line below today's date line, misteriously, and only if a
>> certain line with a past-due deadline with [#C] priority cookie is
>> visible), one such warning is produced.
>
> Mhh... I can't reproduce this.  Can you give a recipe?  What emacs
> version is it with?

I tried a lot of stuff and this is triggering it for me:
(setq org-highest-priority ?B)
(setq org-lowest-priority ?D)
(setq org-default-priority ?D)

However, this seems just a factor. Removing it works but is undesirable
for me, and re-adding it in an otherwise minimal config is fine too. I'm
dropping this for now, let's see how my windows box responds.

>> 3: The agenda dropped back to 10 sec and more. I used to have agenda
>> generation times of 2-3 sec after I switched to SSDs. I hope this is the
>> issue from the "org-agenda-write taking very long" thread currently going
>> on.
>
> I don't think it is the same issue.  Here again, can you give a hint
> on what your configuration and agenda file/command look like?
Well, even the default agenda was pretty lousy. But guess what? I
executed one of my not-so-daily review (block-) agendas, and whatever it
did, it fixed the issue. Could that be? I'm at a loss to explain things,
but the slowdown is gone now. Some cache/temp file issue?

Is there some kind of "make clean" for the operational org-mode?

What's even better, since that the org-contacts integration is working
fine again! Maybe that was the culprit, or my whole setup is somehow
botched.

>> 4: When jumping to a file from the agenda, it is completely visible,
>> including ARCHIVE tags (which otherwise work as expected). Just opening
>> them is fine; it only affects the case the agenda file was not loaded
>> before. Thus it seems to be a bug.
>
> (setq org-agenda-inhibit-startup nil)
>
> The new default is supposed to make the agenda generation faster,
> actually.  Tassilo reported it was not speeding up things and I need
> to check this again.

Apparently, it did not slowdown mine but fixed the issue. Thanks!

So the nil face is the only issue left, and it depends a lot on config.
I will see if I can find out more.

Cheers,

Simon