* org-plus-contrib-20121224 error
@ 2012-12-25  6:31 Alan L Tyree
From: Alan L Tyree @ 2012-12-25  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orgmode

Using the above package in emacs 24.2.1 on Debian Wheezy/Sid, I get an
error when trying to call up the agenda with C-C a. The error is

Invalid function: org-no-popups.

Regards,
Alan

Tel:  04 2748 6206		sip:172385@iptel.org

* Re: org-plus-contrib-20121224 error
@ 2012-12-25 10:29 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-25 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan L Tyree; +Cc: orgmode

Hi Alan,

Alan L Tyree <alantyree@gmail.com> writes:

> Using the above package in emacs 24.2.1 on Debian Wheezy/Sid, I get an
> error when trying to call up the agenda with C-C a. The error is
>
> Invalid function: org-no-popups.

Did you restart Emacs?

Can you send a backtrace?

--
 Bastien

* Re: org-plus-contrib-20121224 error
@ 2012-12-25 18:43   ` Alan L Tyree
From: Alan L Tyree @ 2012-12-25 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: orgmode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Hi Alan,
>
> Alan L Tyree <alantyree@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Using the above package in emacs 24.2.1 on Debian Wheezy/Sid, I get an
>> error when trying to call up the agenda with C-C a. The error is
>>
>> Invalid function: org-no-popups.
>
> Did you restart Emacs?
Yes. And it is on two separate machines with slightly different configuations.

> Can you send a backtrace?
I can if you give me a pointer as to how to do it.

--
Alan L Tyree           http://www2.austlii.edu.au/~alan
Tel:  04 2748 6206     sip:172385@iptel.org

* Re: org-plus-contrib-20121224 error [Solved]
@ 2012-12-25 19:13   ` Alan L Tyree
From: Alan L Tyree @ 2012-12-25 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: orgmode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Hi Alan,
>
> Alan L Tyree <alantyree@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Using the above package in emacs 24.2.1 on Debian Wheezy/Sid, I get an
>> error when trying to call up the agenda with C-C a. The error is
>>
>> Invalid function: org-no-popups.
>
> Did you restart Emacs?
>
> Can you send a backtrace?

I deleted and then reinstalled the package and everything is OK. But I
have no idea what went wrong since agenda was working and then stopped
with the installation of the new package.

Sorry for the noise.

--

@ 2012-12-25 19:56     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-12-25 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan L Tyree; +Cc: Bastien, orgmode

Alan L Tyree <alantyree@gmail.com> wrote:

> Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:
>
> > Hi Alan,
> >
> > Alan L Tyree <alantyree@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> Using the above package in emacs 24.2.1 on Debian Wheezy/Sid, I get an
> >> error when trying to call up the agenda with C-C a. The error is
> >>
> >> Invalid function: org-no-popups.
> >
> > Did you restart Emacs?
> Yes. And it is on two separate machines with slightly different configuations.
> >
> > Can you send a backtrace?
> I can if you give me a pointer as to how to do it.

See section 1.4, "Feedback", in the org manual.

Nick

* Re: org-plus-contrib-20121224 error
@ 2012-12-25 21:03       ` Alan L Tyree
From: Alan L Tyree @ 2012-12-25 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Bastien, orgmode

On 26/12/12 06:56, Nick Dokos wrote:
> Alan L Tyree <alantyree@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Alan,

>>> Did you restart Emacs?
>> Yes. And it is on two separate machines with slightly different configuations.
>>>
>>> Can you send a backtrace?
>> I can if you give me a pointer as to how to do it.
>>

> See section 1.4, "Feedback", in the org manual.

Thanks Nick. You guys are very patient with guys like me.

Cheers,
Alan

@ 2012-12-26  8:15     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-12-26  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am 25.12.2012 20:13, schrieb Alan L Tyree:
> I deleted and then reinstalled the package and everything is OK. But I
> have no idea what went wrong since agenda was working and then stopped
> with the installation of the new package.

Well, I might have an idea what went wrong... the first install you did
after you've already worked with orgmode in your Emacs or do you already
load (some) orgmode stuff in your init file?

> Sorry for the noise.

Not noise.  It may have to be fixed in Emacs (resp. package manager) to
properly work, though.

--
Achim.

(on the road :-)

* Re: org-plus-contrib-20121224 error [Solved]
@ 2012-12-26 21:04       ` Alan L Tyree
From: Alan L Tyree @ 2012-12-26 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 26/12/12 19:15, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Am 25.12.2012 20:13, schrieb Alan L Tyree:
>> I deleted and then reinstalled the package and everything is OK. But I
>> have no idea what went wrong since agenda was working and then stopped
>> with the installation of the new package.
>
> Well, I might have an idea what went wrong... the first install you did
> after you've already worked with orgmode in your Emacs or do you already
> load (some) orgmode stuff in your init file?

Both. I had been working with orgmode, then made the install. I also
load a small amount of orgmode in the init file.

When the agenda didn't work, I quit emacs and then restarted, but the
problem persisted. As I indicated, this happened on both my main machine
and a laptop. I'm not sure what the sequence was on the laptop.

Both machines made a miraculous recovery when I deleted the package and
then installed it.

Hope this helps.

Alan

@ 2012-12-27 10:36         ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-12-27 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am 26.12.2012 22:04, schrieb Alan L Tyree:
>> Well, I might have an idea what went wrong... the first install you did
>> after you've already worked with orgmode in your Emacs or do you already
>> load (some) orgmode stuff in your init file?
>
> Both. I had been working with orgmode, then made the install.

Then you already had org-compat loaded before package manager started to
compile the new Org.

> I also  load a small amount of orgmode in the init file.

This may cause org-compat to be loaded as well.

> When the agenda didn't work, I quit emacs and then restarted, but the
> problem persisted. As I indicated, this happened on both my main machine
> and a laptop. I'm not sure what the sequence was on the laptop.

Yes, that is expected when org-copmpat is already loaded: org-no-popups
is a macro and macro definitions must be known at compile time.  Since
the old org-compat without that definition was already loaded, the
corresponding require did nothing, so the definition was missing and the
byte-compiler was assuming a function that would need to be defined at
runtime.

> Both machines made a miraculous recovery when I deleted the package and
> then installed it.

As I said, that is something that should really be fixed in package manager.

--
Achim.

(on the road :-)