* "Generic" Source block language specification?
@ 2012-11-21 14:08 Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-11-21 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Re: "Generic" Source block language specification?
@ 2012-11-22 23:17 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-11-22 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> I have in a document a definition of a projection, which is essentially a text as follow:
>
> #+BEGIN_src
>   +proj=aea +lat_1=-28.25
>           +lat_2=-29.75
>           +lat_0=29
>           +lon_0=30.75
>           +x_0=0
>           +y_0=0
>           +datum=WGS84
>           +units=m
>           +no_defs
> #+END_src
>
> Now this does obviously not export, as the source block language is missing. Is there a way that I
> can get the same formating of the source in the exportes output but without the syntax highlighting?
>
> BEGIN_EXAMPLE
> END_EXAMPLE
>
> is similar, but I would like the block to be formated as the SRC blocks.

I bet "fundamental" would work, e.g.,

#+begin_src fundamental
  +proj=aea +lat_1=-28.25
          +lat_2=-29.75
          +lat_0=29
          +lon_0=30.75
          +x_0=0
          +y_0=0
          +datum=WGS84
          +units=m
          +no_defs
#+end_src

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: "Generic" Source block language specification?
@ 2012-11-23  8:17   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-11-23  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

* Re: "Generic" Source block language specification?
@ 2012-11-23 15:02     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-11-23 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

> On 23/11/12 00:17, Eric Schulte wrote:
>> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have in a document a definition of a projection, which is essentially a text as follow:
>>>
>>> #+BEGIN_src +proj=aea +lat_1=-28.25 +lat_2=-29.75 +lat_0=29 +lon_0=30.75 +x_0=0 +y_0=0
>>> +datum=WGS84 +units=m +no_defs #+END_src
>>>
>>> Now this does obviously not export, as the source block language is missing. Is there a way
>>> that I can get the same formating of the source in the exportes output but without the syntax
>>> highlighting?
>>>
>>> BEGIN_EXAMPLE END_EXAMPLE
>>>
>>> is similar, but I would like the block to be formated as the SRC blocks.
>>>

>> I bet "fundamental" would work, e.g.,
>
> Yes, it does - works perfectly. Is this documented?

Yes.  Whatever language string is placed at the top of the source block
will define the mode used for export and in-block editing.  I believe
that is documented.

Cheers,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: "Generic" Source block language specification?
@ 2012-11-23 15:26       ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-11-23 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 23/11/12 16:02, Eric Schulte wrote:
> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

>>> I bet "fundamental" would work, e.g.,
>>
>> Yes, it does - works perfectly. Is this documented?
>>

> Yes.  Whatever language string is placed at the top of the source block will define the mode
> used for export and in-block editing.  I believe that is documented.

OK - then I thought that I can use all languages *for formating* which are defined in the listings
package in LaTeX, but it doesn't matter what I take: it always formats it in as a source block but
obviously without syntax highlighting.

For editing: C-c ' only works ehen using "fundamental" - other non-existent languages are not
accepted (obviously).

So I assume in org, there is support for "fundamental", but I could not find it in the
documentation when I looked.

At the moment, my org info documentation seems to be not accessible (blank page when opening it).

Cheers,

Rainer

@ 2012-11-23 16:40         ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-11-23 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

> On 23/11/12 16:02, Eric Schulte wrote:
>> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Yes, it does - works perfectly. Is this documented?
>>>

>> Yes.  Whatever language string is placed at the top of the source block will define the mode
>> used for export and in-block editing.  I believe that is documented.
>
> OK - then I thought that I can use all languages *for formating* which are defined in the listings
> package in LaTeX, but it doesn't matter what I take: it always formats it in as a source block but
> obviously without syntax highlighting.
>
> For editing: C-c ' only works ehen using "fundamental" - other non-existent languages are not
> accepted (obviously).
>
> So I assume in org, there is support for "fundamental", but I could not find it in the
> documentation when I looked.

When editing a code block, Org-mode will take the name of the language,
append "-mode", and then try to call the result as a function.  So for
example, an R code block will call "R-mode" to edit the contents using
R-mode.  Thus any *-mode is a valid code block name.

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: "Generic" Source block language specification?
@ 2012-11-23 17:35         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-11-23 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Eric Schulte

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23/11/12 16:02, Eric Schulte wrote:
> > Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

> >> Yes, it does - works perfectly. Is this documented?
> >>

> > Yes.  Whatever language string is placed at the top of the source block will define the mode
> > used for export and in-block editing.  I believe that is documented.
>
> OK - then I thought that I can use all languages *for formating* which are defined in the listings
> package in LaTeX, but it doesn't matter what I take: it always formats it in as a source block but
> obviously without syntax highlighting.
>
> For editing: C-c ' only works ehen using "fundamental" - other non-existent languages are not
> accepted (obviously).
>
> So I assume in org, there is support for "fundamental", but I could not find it in the
> documentation when I looked.
>
> At the moment, my org info documentation seems to be not accessible (blank page when opening it).

In order for this to work, emacs has to have a mode to handle it:
"fundamental" as a language works, because emacs has a mode called
fundamental-mode.

I append the relevant portion of the documentation (section 14.2,
Editing source code) I hope it comes in useful until you get your info
problems resolved, but note that it's also available online at

   http://orgmode.org/org.html#Editing-source-code

See org-src-lang-modes below for the details:

,----

| 14.2 Editing source code
| ========================
|
| Use `C-c '' to edit the current code block.  This brings up a language
| major-mode edit buffer containing the body of the code block.  Saving
| this buffer will write the new contents back to the Org buffer.  Use
| `C-c '' again to exit.
|
|    The `org-src-mode' minor mode will be active in the edit buffer.  The
| following variables can be used to configure the behavior of the edit
| buffer.  See also the customization group `org-edit-structure' for
| further configuration options.
|
| `org-src-lang-modes'
|      If an Emacs major-mode named `<lang>-mode' exists, where `<lang>'
|      is the language named in the header line of the code block, then
|      the edit buffer will be placed in that major-mode.  This variable
|      can be used to map arbitrary language names to existing major
|      modes.
|
| `org-src-window-setup'
|      Controls the way Emacs windows are rearranged when the edit buffer
|      is created.
|
| `org-src-preserve-indentation'
|      This variable is especially useful for tangling languages such as
|      Python, in which whitespace indentation in the output is critical.
|
| `org-src-ask-before-returning-to-edit-buffer'
|      By default, Org will ask before returning to an open edit buffer.
|      Set this variable to nil to switch without asking.
|
|    To turn on native code fontification in the _Org_ buffer, configure
| the variable `org-src-fontify-natively'.

`----

HTH,
Nick

* Re: "Generic" Source block language specification?
@ 2012-11-23 18:11 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-11-23 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Rainer, emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> I have in a document a definition of a projection, which is essentially a text as follow:
>
> #+BEGIN_src
>   +proj=aea +lat_1=-28.25
>           +lat_2=-29.75
>           +lat_0=29
>           +lon_0=30.75
>           +x_0=0
>           +y_0=0
>           +datum=WGS84
>           +units=m
>           +no_defs
> #+END_src
>
> Now this does obviously not export, as the source block language is missing. Is there a way that I
> can get the same formating of the source in the exportes output but without the syntax highlighting?
>
> BEGIN_EXAMPLE
> END_EXAMPLE
>
> is similar, but I would like the block to be formated as the SRC
> blocks.

Marking the src block as `fundamental' has a drawback.  One can no
longer have in-buffer fontification of src blocks.

A better option would be to have a custom variable which produces
black-and-white src blocks on export.

ODT already has this option.

    C-h v org-e-odt-fontify-srcblocks RET

I am CCing Nicolas, to check whether he would be interested in
introducing an export knob for this.

@ 2012-11-25  0:28   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-11-25  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: Rainer, emacs-orgmode

> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have in a document a definition of a projection, which is essentially a text as follow:
>>
>> #+BEGIN_src
>>   +proj=aea +lat_1=-28.25
>>           +lat_2=-29.75
>>           +lat_0=29
>>           +lon_0=30.75
>>           +x_0=0
>>           +y_0=0
>>           +datum=WGS84
>>           +units=m
>>           +no_defs
>> #+END_src
>>
>> Now this does obviously not export, as the source block language is missing. Is there a way that I
>> can get the same formating of the source in the exportes output but without the syntax highlighting?
>>
>> BEGIN_EXAMPLE
>> END_EXAMPLE
>>
>> is similar, but I would like the block to be formated as the SRC
>> blocks.
>
> Marking the src block as `fundamental' has a drawback.  One can no
> longer have in-buffer fontification of src blocks.
>
> A better option would be to have a custom variable which produces
> black-and-white src blocks on export.
>
> ODT already has this option.
>
>     C-h v org-e-odt-fontify-srcblocks RET
>
> I am CCing Nicolas, to check whether he would be interested in
> introducing an export knob for this.

I still don't get what is wrong with example blocks (wrt export). Would
someone care to elaborate?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: "Generic" Source block language specification?
@ 2012-11-25 15:28     ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-11-25 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Rainer, emacs-orgmode, Jambunathan K

On 25/11/12 01:28, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have in a document a definition of a projection, which is essentially a text as follow:
>>>
>>> #+BEGIN_src +proj=aea +lat_1=-28.25 +lat_2=-29.75 +lat_0=29 +lon_0=30.75 +x_0=0 +y_0=0
>>> +datum=WGS84 +units=m +no_defs #+END_src
>>>
>>> Now this does obviously not export, as the source block language is missing. Is there a way
>>> that I can get the same formating of the source in the exportes output but without the
>>> syntax highlighting?
>>>
>>> BEGIN_EXAMPLE END_EXAMPLE
>>>
>>> is similar, but I would like the block to be formated as the SRC blocks.
>>
>> Marking the src block as `fundamental' has a drawback.  One can no longer have in-buffer
>> fontification of src blocks.
>>
>> A better option would be to have a custom variable which produces black-and-white src blocks
>> on export.
>>
>> ODT already has this option.
>>
>> C-h v org-e-odt-fontify-srcblocks RET
>>
>> I am CCing Nicolas, to check whether he would be interested in introducing an export knob for
>> this.
>
> I still don't get what is wrong with example blocks (wrt export). Would someone care to
> elaborate?

Yes.

In a document, I have several source blocks with "real" code (i.e. bash and R in this case) Now I
have one block, which is not really source code, but which is "kind of" source code, in my case a
definition of a projection for a GIS project. Now I would like to have this definition of the
projection displayed in the exported document as the other source blocks, If I put it into an
EXAMPLE block, it is exported to LaTeX as verbatin and not listing, and all customisations ai have
for listings (smaller font, grey background, ...) do *not* apply to the EXAMPLE block, but woyuld
to a "fundamental" source block. So the EXAMPLE block is in this case not equivalent to the
fundamental source block.

Hope this clarifies the difference,

Cheers,

Rainer

@ 2012-11-25 15:37       ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-11-25 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: Rainer, emacs-orgmode, Jambunathan K

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

> In a document, I have several source blocks with "real" code (i.e. bash and R in this case) Now I
> have one block, which is not really source code, but which is "kind of" source code, in my case a
> definition of a projection for a GIS project. Now I would like to have this definition of the
> projection displayed in the exported document as the other source blocks, If I put it into an
> EXAMPLE block, it is exported to LaTeX as verbatin and not listing, and all customisations ai have
> for listings (smaller font, grey background, ...) do *not* apply to the EXAMPLE block, but woyuld
> to a "fundamental" source block. So the EXAMPLE block is in this case not equivalent to the
> fundamental source block.
>
> Hope this clarifies the difference,

Yes, thanks.

Since you use "listings" package, can't you define a new language (i.e.
with \lstdefinelanguage{pseudocode}) and then use "#+begin_src
pseudocode" block?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: "Generic" Source block language specification?
@ 2012-11-25 16:01         ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-11-25 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Rainer, emacs-orgmode, Jambunathan K

On 25/11/12 16:37, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> In a document, I have several source blocks with "real" code (i.e. bash and R in this case)
>> Now I have one block, which is not really source code, but which is "kind of" source code, in
>> my case a definition of a projection for a GIS project. Now I would like to have this
>> definition of the projection displayed in the exported document as the other source blocks,
>> If I put it into an EXAMPLE block, it is exported to LaTeX as verbatin and not listing, and
>> all customisations ai have for listings (smaller font, grey background, ...) do *not* apply
>> to the EXAMPLE block, but woyuld to a "fundamental" source block. So the EXAMPLE block is in
>> this case not equivalent to the fundamental source block.
>>
>> Hope this clarifies the difference,
>
> Yes, thanks.
>
> Since you use "listings" package, can't you define a new language (i.e. with
> \lstdefinelanguage{pseudocode}) and then use "#+begin_src pseudocode" block?

Well - this does not seem to be necessary. If I use

#+begin_src fundamental
#+end_src

the block will be formated following the rules for "listings". Even if I use

#+begin_src BlaBlaBla
#+end_src

it does not produce an error message in LaTeX. Nice with fundamental: I can use C-c ' to open the
block in a new buffer and edit it there - very handy.

If I would like to have some highlighting in the source block in the LaTeX export, I obviously
would have to define a new language - nice idea actually for the final output.

Thanks,

Rainer

> Regards,

- --
Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys.
(Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: "Generic" Source block language specification?
@ 2012-11-25 16:03   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2012-11-25 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rainer, Nicolas Goaziou

On 23/11/12 19:11, Jambunathan K wrote:
> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have in a document a definition of a projection, which is essentially a text as follow:
>>
>> #+BEGIN_src +proj=aea +lat_1=-28.25 +lat_2=-29.75 +lat_0=29 +lon_0=30.75 +x_0=0 +y_0=0
>> +datum=WGS84 +units=m +no_defs #+END_src
>>
>> Now this does obviously not export, as the source block language is missing. Is there a way
>> that I can get the same formating of the source in the exportes output but without the syntax
>> highlighting?
>>
>> BEGIN_EXAMPLE END_EXAMPLE
>>
>> is similar, but I would like the block to be formated as the SRC blocks.
>
> Marking the src block as `fundamental' has a drawback.  One can no longer have in-buffer
> fontification of src blocks.

But this only applies for this source block, for which no message is defined anyway and
consequently no highlighting is usefull (at the moment)? Or do I miss something in your argument?

Rainer

> A better option would be to have a custom variable which produces black-and-white src blocks on
> export.
>
> ODT already has this option.
>
> C-h v org-e-odt-fontify-srcblocks RET
>
> I am CCing Nicolas, to check whether he would be interested in introducing an export knob for
> this.

>> Thanks, Rainer

- --