Hi Matt, Thanks, you answered the question. When I renamed the file "org-export-latex.el" to "org-latex.el", modified the Makefile accordingly, rebuilt and reinstalled, it worked. I think there's a problem with the stable distribution (org-6.25f.tar.gz) in that it contains the unrenamed file "org-export-latex.el". Someone may want to look into this. Anyway, many thanks for helping me out. Best regards, Holger On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Matthew Lundin wrote: > Hi Holger, > > Holger Hellebro writes: > > > Hi > > > > I'm using Org-mode version 6.25f on Ubuntu 8.10 with GNU Emacs 22.2.1. > > Emacs came with an older version of org-mode but I used the Makefile to > > install the newer version and most things seem to be working. > > > > But when I try to export to LaTeX (C-c C-e l or L) I get the following > > error message in the minibuffer: "Cannot open load file: org-latex". > > Indeed, I don't have any file named "org-latex" or "org-latex.el" on my > > system as it was not part of the org distribution. I'm an absolute > > elisp newbie but a grep shows that org-install.el references a file > > "org-latex.el". > > With org-mode version 6.25f, the file org-export-latex.el was renamed to > org-latex.el. Off the top of my head, I can think of a couple of things > you might check: > > 1. If you look in the lisp subdirectory of the org distribution you > downloaded, can you confirm that org-latex.el was byte-compiled as a > result of the make process? > > 2. Check the directory where you installed the new org files (e.g., > /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp or somewhere else) to see if org-latex is > was copied to that directory. > > I'm sure others will be along with more concrete advice sometime soon. > > Hope this helps, > > Matt >