Emacs 26.3, Org-mode 9.1.9, Kubuntu 20.04, 5.4.0-39-generic Hi, I've tried my hardest to find an answer in the manuals (print book and on-line), this list, Reddit, and Stack Exchange with no luck.  I use Emacs for org-mode, and I don't code or know Elisp. I have no use for or interest in learning LaTeX.  I never use subscript, and I only use superscript in poetry/prose (mostly quotes, not original), and I don't foresee (but admit I may) a need to export. I understand that: > ^2H is not recognized as superscript _on purpose_. Per Org syntax, you > have to add a non-blank character before the caret. Otherwise, there > would be ambiguity between underline (e.g., _under_) and subscript > (_under). And superscript syntax follows subscript's. [1] That makes sense to me as a default [2], given that so many org-mode users use both in math, science, and literate coding context, so I wouldn't think to suggest it to be changed.  All I want to know is how I can change it for *me*. I would like to org-toggle-pretty-entities in a buffer and see superscript before, say, a poetry line or Bible verse I'm quoting in a note or journal entry, and not see the non-blank character. Can this be done via customize or with an Elisp snippet in init.el? Thanks! [1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2014-06/msg01022.html [2] Though I wish it were made explicit in the manuals https://orgmode.org/manual/Subscripts-and-Superscripts.html#Subscripts-and-Superscripts (Org Mode 9 Reference Manual p 132). It took me a while to figure out why it wasn't working at all.