* info org section 3.1
@ 2012-09-07  8:07 Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2012-09-07  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Something is undocumented and broken.  Attempting to create the table
documented in section 3.1 of the manual generates a beep and the message:
Symbol's value as variable is void: org-use-sub-superscripts
at the bottom of the screen and hitting tab just tells me I'm at the
beginning of the buffer after that operation.  After I keyed in the
example I tried c-c c-ret because writing a second line and putting |- on
it caused the same problem to happen.

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net> Adobe fiend for failing to Flash

* Re: info org section 3.1
@ 2012-09-07  8:24 ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2012-09-07  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:

Hi Jude:

> Something is undocumented and broken.  Attempting to create the table
> documented in section 3.1 of the manual generates a beep and the message:
> Symbol's value as variable is void: org-use-sub-superscripts
> at the bottom of the screen and hitting tab just tells me I'm at the
> beginning of the buffer after that operation.  After I keyed in the
> example I tried c-c c-ret because writing a second line and putting |- on
> it caused the same problem to happen.

Something is very wrong with your installation- the example works fine
here. It seems like your org.el is not loaded properly since
"org-use-sub-superscripts" is defined there:

,----[ Output of C-h v org-use-sub-superscripts]
| org-use-sub-superscripts is a variable defined in `org.el'.
| Its value is t
|
| Documentation:
| Non-nil means interpret "_" and "^" for export.
| When this option is turned on, you can use TeX-like syntax for sub- and
| superscripts.  Several characters after "_" or "^" will be
| considered as a single item - so grouping with {} is normally not
| needed.  For example, the following things will be parsed as single
| sub- or superscripts.
|
|  10^24   or   10^tau     several digits will be considered 1 item.
|  10^-12  or   10^-tau    a leading sign with digits or a word
|  x^2-y^3                 will be read as x^2 - y^3, because items are
| 			 terminated by almost any nonword/nondigit char.
|  x_{i^2} or   x^(2-i)    braces or parenthesis do grouping.
|
| Still, ambiguity is possible - so when in doubt use {} to enclose the
| sub/superscript.  If you set this variable to the symbol `{}',
| the braces are *required* in order to trigger interpretations as
| sub/superscript.  This can be helpful in documents that need "_"
| frequently in plain text.
|
| Not all export backends support this, but HTML does.
|
| This option can also be set with the #+OPTIONS line, e.g. "^:nil".
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
| version 24.1 of Emacs.
`----

Cheers,
Charles

--
"All language designers are arrogant.  Goes with the territory..."
(By Larry Wall)

* Re: info org section 3.1
@ 2012-09-07  8:39   ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2012-09-07  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Philip Chan; +Cc: Org-mode

This happens using gnu-emacs 23.41 and org 7.9.11 and that emacs is the
current debian package version.  I used git clone to install and update
org mode too.

@ 2012-09-07  8:53     ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2012-09-07  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:

Hi Jude:

> This happens using gnu-emacs 23.41 and org 7.9.11 and that emacs is
> the current debian package version.  I used git clone to install and
> update org mode too.

Maybe it is a mixed installation problem again. Have you tried the
suggestions here:

,----[ http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#mixed-install ]
| Is my Orgmode installation mixed?
|
| Emacs is distributed with a version of Orgmode bundled with it. A common
| problem among users who install a newer version of Orgmode separately is
| a mixed install where Emacs loads some files from the bundled and the
| rest from the latest version. This can lead to unending troubles in the
| future. An easy first step to investigate this is to look at the output
| of M-x org-version.
|
| Good
|     Org-mode version 7.8.11 (release_7.8.11-448-g1737d3 @ /path/to/org-mode/lisp/)
|
| Bad
|     Org-mode version 6.33x (release_7.8.11.409.ga3778)
|
| You should go through the output of list-load-path-shadows line-by-line
| to get hints to what in your configuration is causing the issue. Among
| the most common reasons is Orgmode gets loaded before the load-path
| variable is updated to include the installation directory of the latest
| Orgmode. To avoid issues like this, it is recommended that the load path
| is updated very early on in your init file.
`----

Cheers,
Charles

--
The nice thing about Windows is - It does not just crash, it displays a
dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.

* Re: info org section 3.1
@ 2012-09-07  9:16       ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2012-09-07  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Philip Chan; +Cc: Org-mode

As an experiment, I replaced the org-mode from git with the debian
org-mode package version 7.8.11 and tried creating the table again.
This time, no errors.  Apparently something happened between 7.8.11 and
7.9.11 to make this happen even with emacs 23.x systems.

@ 2012-09-07  9:27         ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2012-09-07  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 07/09/12 10:16, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> As an experiment, I replaced the org-mode from git with the debian
> org-mode package version 7.8.11 and tried creating the table again.
> This time, no errors.  Apparently something happened between 7.8.11 and
> 7.9.11 to make this happen even with emacs 23.x systems.
>
> On Fri, 7 Sep 2012, Charles Philip Chan wrote:
>
>> Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:
>>
>> Hi Jude:
>>
>>> This happens using gnu-emacs 23.41 and org 7.9.11 and that emacs is
>>> the current debian package version.  I used git clone to install and
>>> update org mode too.
>>
>> Maybe it is a mixed installation problem again. Have you tried the
>> suggestions here:
>>
>> ,----[ http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#mixed-install ]
>> | Is my Orgmode installation mixed?
>> |
>> | Emacs is distributed with a version of Orgmode bundled with it. A common
>> | problem among users who install a newer version of Orgmode separately is
>> | a mixed install where Emacs loads some files from the bundled and the
>> | rest from the latest version. This can lead to unending troubles in the
>> | future. An easy first step to investigate this is to look at the output
>> | of M-x org-version.
>> |
>> | Good
>> |     Org-mode version 7.8.11 (release_7.8.11-448-g1737d3 @ /path/to/org-mode/lisp/)
>> |
>> | Bad
>> |     Org-mode version 6.33x (release_7.8.11.409.ga3778)
>> |
>> | You should go through the output of list-load-path-shadows line-by-line
>> | to get hints to what in your configuration is causing the issue. Among
>> | the most common reasons is Orgmode gets loaded before the load-path
>> | variable is updated to include the installation directory of the latest
>> | Orgmode. To avoid issues like this, it is recommended that the load path
>> | is updated very early on in your init file.
>> `----
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Charles

I am using a recent git version 97c1b93e045e90ebb6d8a9d15a064d8ae717260b
and the example works correctly here.

Ian.

* Re: info org section 3.1
@ 2012-09-07  9:36         ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2012-09-07  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:

> As an experiment, I replaced the org-mode from git with the debian
> org-mode package version 7.8.11 and tried creating the table again.
> This time, no errors.  Apparently something happened between 7.8.11 and
> 7.9.11 to make this happen even with emacs 23.x systems.

I am using the latest git version:

,----
| Org-mode version 7.9.1 (release_7.9.1-149-gd5fddb.dirty @ /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/)
`----

and have no problems. You should really debug it by using the "mixed
installation" instructions in the FAQ.

Charles

--
I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody.  It doesn't generate revenue.
(Dave '-ddt->` Taylor, announcing DOOM for Linux)

* Re: info org section 3.1
@ 2012-09-07 19:09     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-09-07 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jude DaShiell writes:
> This happens using gnu-emacs 23.41 and org 7.9.11 and that emacs is the
> current debian package version.  I used git clone to install and update
> org mode too.

… I sincerely hope that after cloning the orgmode repo you also did at
least a

make uncompiled

If not, please do it and let us know if it helped.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: info org section 3.1
@ 2012-09-08  0:07       ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2012-09-08  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Okay, that make ./uncompiled did the trick, everything had its autoloads
made again and now the example in 3.1 works with no problems.  Thanks.