* Multicolumn
@ 2012-08-29  0:10 Neuwirth Erich
From: Neuwirth Erich @ 2012-08-29  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

After some googling it seems that multicolumn support is not yet implemented in org tables.
I would need multicolumn headers quite urgently,
but I have not yet found a way to make this possible.

I think that tables with headers like this:

|               |    mean       |         s.e.        |
| gender | varA | varB |  varA | varB |

are quite common, so I really want to put this feature on the wish list.
I am not able to implement this myself.

Erich

* Re: Multicolumn
@ 2012-08-29  0:28 ` Christopher J. White
From: Christopher J. White @ 2012-08-29  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Erich,

I have a hack for multicolumn support that may help... It's not great,
but serves my purpose.

I implemented a TWiki mode that uses orgtbl-minor-mode.  TWiki pages
support multicolumn cells by adding vertical bars with no separators:

Display:

|  Multicol     |
|  C1   |   C2  |

TWiki format:
| Multicol ||
| C1 | C2 |

Notice the double vertical bars after Multicol.  The number of vertical
bars on every row must be the same.  You can join as many cells as you
want that way.  I basically wanted to be able to still use
orgtbl-minor-mode to edit such tables.  So I hacked my
twiki-import/export code to convert "||" to "| << |" and vice-versa.

So the orgtbl version of the above looks like this in the buffer:

| Multicol | << |
| C1       | C2 |

The down side is that the text "Multicol" will expand the display size
of C1, so if it gets long, the table grows:

| This is a long multicol cell | << |
| C1                           | C2 |

So it gets me what I want, which is orgtbl editing, and import/export
support to twiki format.  Seems a similar technique could be backed in
to any org export engine.

...cj

On 8/28/12 5:10 PM, Neuwirth Erich wrote:
> After some googling it seems that multicolumn support is not yet
> implemented in org tables.
> I would need multicolumn headers quite urgently,
> but I have not yet found a way to make this possible.
>
> I think that tables with headers like this:
>
> |               |    mean       |         s.e.        |
> | gender | varA | varB |  varA | varB |
>
> are quite common, so I really want to put this feature on the wish list.
> I am not able to implement this myself.
>
> Erich

* Re: Multicolumn
@ 2012-08-29  1:05   ` Neuwirth Erich
From: Neuwirth Erich @ 2012-08-29  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orgmode; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

My problem is that the tables are produce by R code snippets.
The code snippets produce plain org tables, bracketed by attributes identifying
the text as ORG code.

#+RESULTS:
#+BEGIN_ORG
| Jahr | Region | m   | w   | pWert | m.se  | w.se  |
|------+--------+-----+-----+-------+-------+-------|
| 2000 | Sonst  | 508 | 507 | 0.85  | 4.91  | 4.93  |
#+END_ORG

I am able to insert additional lines before and after the text produce by the R commands with the following technique (in R):

print(as.table(NULL),quote=FALSE,type="org")
cat("|-------|\n")
print(res,type="org")
cat("|-------|\n")

So I could write a line with my multicol headers.
But for that to work, org mode would have to honor multicol indicators in the text.

On Aug 29, 2012, at 2:28 AM, "Christopher J. White" <orgmode@grierwhite.com> wrote:

> Hi Erich,
>
> I have a hack for multicolumn support that may help... It's not great, but serves my purpose.
>
> I implemented a TWiki mode that uses orgtbl-minor-mode.  TWiki pages support multicolumn cells by adding vertical bars with no separators:
>
> Display:
>
> |  Multicol     |
> |  C1   |   C2  |
>
> TWiki format:
> | Multicol ||
> | C1 | C2 |
>
> Notice the double vertical bars after Multicol.  The number of vertical bars on every row must be the same.  You can join as many cells as you want that way.  I basically wanted to be able to still use orgtbl-minor-mode to edit such tables.  So I hacked my twiki-import/export code to convert "||" to "| << |" and vice-versa.
>
> So the orgtbl version of the above looks like this in the buffer:
>
> | Multicol | << |
> | C1       | C2 |
>
> The down side is that the text "Multicol" will expand the display size of C1, so if it gets long, the table grows:
>
> | This is a long multicol cell | << |
> | C1                           | C2 |
>
> So it gets me what I want, which is orgtbl editing, and import/export support to twiki format.  Seems a similar technique could be backed in to any org export engine.
>
> ...cj
>
> On 8/28/12 5:10 PM, Neuwirth Erich wrote:
>> After some googling it seems that multicolumn support is not yet implemented in org tables.
>> I would need multicolumn headers quite urgently,
>> but I have not yet found a way to make this possible.
>>
>> I think that tables with headers like this:
>>
>> |               |    mean       |         s.e.        |
>> | gender | varA | varB |  varA | varB |
>>
>> are quite common, so I really want to put this feature on the wish list.
>> I am not able to implement this myself.
>>
>> Erich

* Re: Multicolumn
@ 2012-08-29  1:47     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-08-29  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neuwirth Erich; +Cc: orgmode, emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 8:05 PM, Neuwirth Erich
<erich.neuwirth@univie.ac.at> wrote:
> My problem is that the tables are produce by R code snippets.
> The code snippets produce plain org tables, bracketed by attributes identifying
> the text as ORG code.
>

> #+RESULTS:
> #+BEGIN_ORG
> | Jahr | Region | m   | w   | pWert | m.se  | w.se  |
> |------+--------+-----+-----+-------+-------+-------|
> | 2000 | Sonst  | 508 | 507 | 0.85  | 4.91  | 4.93  |
> #+END_ORG
>

> I am able to insert additional lines before and after the text produce by the R commands with the following technique (in R):
>

> print(as.table(NULL),quote=FALSE,type="org")
> cat("|-------|\n")
> print(res,type="org")
> cat("|-------|\n")

Not ideal, but could your R code just write the LaTeX syntax? cat()
the align statement and then cat() the "&" and "\\" stuff manually?

John

> So I could write a line with my multicol headers.
> But for that to work, org mode would have to honor multicol indicators in the text.
>

> On Aug 29, 2012, at 2:28 AM, "Christopher J. White" <orgmode@grierwhite.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Erich,
>>
>> I have a hack for multicolumn support that may help... It's not great, but serves my purpose.
>>
>> I implemented a TWiki mode that uses orgtbl-minor-mode.  TWiki pages support multicolumn cells by adding vertical bars with no separators:
>>
>> Display:
>>
>> |  Multicol     |
>> |  C1   |   C2  |
>>
>> TWiki format:
>> | Multicol ||
>> | C1 | C2 |
>>
>> Notice the double vertical bars after Multicol.  The number of vertical bars on every row must be the same.  You can join as many cells as you want that way.  I basically wanted to be able to still use orgtbl-minor-mode to edit such tables.  So I hacked my twiki-import/export code to convert "||" to "| << |" and vice-versa.
>>
>> So the orgtbl version of the above looks like this in the buffer:
>>
>> | Multicol | << |
>> | C1       | C2 |
>>
>> The down side is that the text "Multicol" will expand the display size of C1, so if it gets long, the table grows:
>>
>> | This is a long multicol cell | << |
>> | C1                           | C2 |
>>
>> So it gets me what I want, which is orgtbl editing, and import/export support to twiki format.  Seems a similar technique could be backed in to any org export engine.
>>
>> ...cj
>>
>> On 8/28/12 5:10 PM, Neuwirth Erich wrote:
>>> After some googling it seems that multicolumn support is not yet implemented in org tables.
>>> I would need multicolumn headers quite urgently,
>>> but I have not yet found a way to make this possible.
>>>
>>> I think that tables with headers like this:
>>>
>>> |               |    mean       |         s.e.        |
>>> | gender | varA | varB |  varA | varB |
>>>
>>> are quite common, so I really want to put this feature on the wish list.
>>> I am not able to implement this myself.
>>>
>>> Erich

* Re: Multicolumn
@ 2012-08-29  2:39     ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-08-29  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neuwirth Erich; +Cc: orgmode, emacs-orgmode

Neuwirth Erich <erich.neuwirth@univie.ac.at> writes:

> My problem is that the tables are produce by R code snippets.
> The code snippets produce plain org tables, bracketed by attributes identifying
> the text as ORG code.
>

> #+RESULTS:
> #+BEGIN_ORG
> | Jahr | Region | m   | w   | pWert | m.se  | w.se  |
> |------+--------+-----+-----+-------+-------+-------|
> | 2000 | Sonst  | 508 | 507 | 0.85  | 4.91  | 4.93  |
> #+END_ORG
>

> I am able to insert additional lines before and after the text produce
> by the R commands with the following technique (in R):
>

> print(as.table(NULL),quote=FALSE,type="org")
> cat("|-------|\n")
> print(res,type="org")
> cat("|-------|\n")
>

> So I could write a line with my multicol headers.
> But for that to work, org mode would have to honor multicol indicators
> in the text.

Alternatively, compose latex or html tables in R and then have the source
code block :results output latex or :results output html

That should wrap the output in #+BEGIN_LATEX ... #+END_LATEX, which org
will export directly to LaTeX, or #+BEGIN_HTML ... #+END_HTML, which org
will export directly to HTML.

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Multicolumn
@ 2012-08-29  7:44       ` Neuwirth Erich
From: Neuwirth Erich @ 2012-08-29  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: orgmode, emacs-orgmode

That is probably what I will have to do.
But since I want both html and LaTeX output, I have to two write separate output routines
in R which I had hoped to be able to avoid.

* Re: Multicolumn
@ 2012-08-29 14:27         ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-08-29 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neuwirth Erich; +Cc: orgmode, emacs-orgmode, Thomas S. Dye

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 2:44 AM, Neuwirth Erich
<erich.neuwirth@univie.ac.at> wrote:
> That is probably what I will have to do.
> But since I want both html and LaTeX output, I have to two write separate output routines
> in R which I had hoped to be able to avoid.

How often do you anticipate having to change this? I've exported org
tables before to get most of the dirty work done and then just gone in
to the .tex (or .html) files manually to tweak. Is that an option?
I'll usually do this when I'm fairly positive that I'm done with any
tweaking/editing of the .org document.

Just a thought.
John