* Suggestions for Orgmode.org homepage
@ 2009-01-07 18:28 Manish
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Manish @ 2009-01-07 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello Carsten,

The image at http://imagebin.org/35260 shows the Orgmode homepage in
IE6 and http://imagebin.org/35261 shows the the same page in FF3.  The
page in IE (6) is jumbled up (table of contents mixed up with page
contents) since it (IE6) does not support "position: fixed" used in
the org.css.  I faced the same issue when I gave some org-generated
HTML documentation to someone using IE yesterday.  So I got some help
from a friend and worked out a compromise so that it doesn't break so
horribly in IE6.

What I did was to create another small CSS file, org-ie6, css, with following
contents:

  : #table-of-contents{
  :     position: absolute;
  :     float: left;
  : }
  :
  : body {
  :  background-attachment: scroll;
  : }

And load this CSS conditionally when IE 6 is being used by adding
following line in the generated HTML file's header just above the

  : <!--[if lt IE 7]><link rel="stylesheet" href="org-ie6.css"
type="text/css" ><![endif]-->

(previous line may wrap)

The compromise is that the table of contents in the sidebar (along
with the background image) scrolls up with the page unlike in FF,
which IMHO, is an acceptable compromise.  I have been told that some
javascript magic can make IE6 behave like "position: fixed" but I
haven't yet worked out how/if that can be done.

Possibly a better workaround/solution exists for this else please
consider making similar change to the Orgmode home page.

Also, I do not have access to IE7 so I do not know if that works.

Manish