* [odt] Export of LaTeX Fragments
@ 2012-04-23 14:41 Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2012-04-23 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

today I had to send over a document in MS Word format. Suprise suprise
guess I am not the first one on that mailing list.
I was happy to use the new odt export feature and it did the best job
out of some other constellations (org->html->word, org->pdf->odt via
pdf import plugin, org->pdf->copy paste, etc.)

Thanks for this brilliant feature!

I have a minor problem, I used some LaTeX format commands. I know I
might get away by replacing \textbf with *<text>*, etc. But know its
there already. Sure it worked out great for the LaTeX-PDF export.
However, in openoffice I had stuff like \textbf{text}. I was
wondering, the exporter is doing all this nifty work already, could we
have a flag to replace the most common Linux inline text-formats by
the corresponding odt format?

\textbf
\textit
\underline
\mbox (no line break)
\, (protected blank)

would be a good start

Thanks

Torsten

* Re: [odt] Export of LaTeX Fragments
@ 2012-04-23 14:50 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-04-23 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Thorsten,

Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner@gmail.com> writes:

> I have a minor problem, I used some LaTeX format commands. I know I
> might get away by replacing \textbf with *<text>*, etc.

Yes, that's the way to go.  Should be quick with M-x replace-regexp.

> But know its
> there already. Sure it worked out great for the LaTeX-PDF export.
> However, in openoffice I had stuff like \textbf{text}. I was
> wondering, the exporter is doing all this nifty work already, could we
> have a flag to replace the most common Linux inline text-formats by
> the corresponding odt format?

Mhh... I think it would be too hackish.  Converting \textbf{...} to
*...* in .org files just for converting them back to another format
means that \textbf{...} shouldnot be used on the first place.  But
maybe I'm misunderstanding something...

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: [odt] Export of LaTeX Fragments
@ 2012-04-23 14:57   ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2012-04-23 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Bastien,
I agree.
Some, I used more of a habit reasons (how many orgers are latexers?!
;) ) and they have a org-replacement.
However, whats with "\," "\mbox{}" "\noindent" and maybe some others?
They helped me to tweak the formatting at some points where the
standard stuff did not make much sense.

Thanks

Torsten

@ 2012-04-23 15:08     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-04-23 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner@gmail.com> writes:

> However, whats with "\," "\mbox{}" "\noindent" and maybe some others?
> They helped me to tweak the formatting at some points where the
> standard stuff did not make much sense.

There commands are meaningful in a TeX context, and there is not
necessary a precise translation of their meanings in other contexts
like ODT documents.

In Org file, it is better to stick to Org syntax -- even if some
flexibility is allowed with \noindent and friends while converting
to LaTeX.

--
 Bastien

* Re: [odt] Export of LaTeX Fragments
@ 2012-04-23 17:30       ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2012-04-23 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Since org already accepts \SomeCommandName, maybe org-mode could provide
some very basic functionality for the user to provide definitions for these
macros for each (desired) output format. For instance, there could be a
list similar to
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (
   ("somecommand" :html 'somecommand-html-export :latex ;
    somecommand-latex-export :buffer 'somecommand-buffer-change)
   ("someothercomand" :html someothercomand-html-export)
   )
#+end_src
The export function definitions should be provided by the user for each
desired export format and any unspecified format should do what org-mode
does right now. The "buffer" format would be a function for changing the
way the command (and its argument) look in the org-buffer.

I'm no lisp programmer and this is probably no the best way to implement
this feature, but I think this flexibility could allow orgers to tweak
org-mode to their needs easily.

--
Darlan