From: Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>
To: "Daniel J. Sinder" <djsinder@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: In-buffer bold face in headline levels
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 08:54:59 +0200	[thread overview]

OK, I am giving up on emphasis.  This is really too hard for
my little brain.  Basically, I don't know how to make this
work for all the requests I have gotten in the past,
including

- allowing stacked fontification, like bold and italic
- allowing characters that are emphasis markers inside
   an emphasis, like */usr/lib*
- allowing white space and newlines in the emphasis
   like *this is all bold*,

I guess one could write a complex function to do the matching,
but with a regular expression - like I am doing it now, I
don't think I can make it work.

Here is the deal:  If I get at least 5 tutorials full of
screenshots by the end of the summer, I will give it
yet another shot :-)
Until then, we have to live with this issue.

- Carsten

P.S.:  Of course: thank you for reporting the issue.  Its just
too hard to fix.

On Jul 11, 2007, at 0:45, Daniel J. Sinder wrote:

> I think there is a bug in setting faces for *bold* in headlines.
> I've tested this in 5.01 and 5.02
>
> * Bold in a headline *does work* at the top level
> ** But *does not work* at the second level
> *** It also *does not work* at the third level
> **** But *does work* again on all lower levels
>
> This is only broken for in-buffer emacs faces.  Bold in HTML export
> works for all headline levels.
>
> Dan

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam